Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
So look we are buying these bazillion dollar cars and these jerks are not giving us the tools to operate them. What's with this? I'd like to see us do a huge program to force them to allow this. What do you think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So look we are buying these bazillion dollar cars and these jerks are not giving us the tools to operate them. What's with this? I'd like to see us do a huge program to force them to allow this. What do you think?
nah wwahl, don't see that working. They're protecting their business, and arguably their car's resale value. What would you do if you owned the Porsche brand and your goal was maximizing revenue?

PS: I'm on your side. I'm only on this thread trying to figure out how I can reset the maintenance lights.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Over on a Ducati Sports Touring group I belong to we got together and bought a group kit to shim our desmodromic valves. When someone needed it the word would get posted and the kit would ship to the new person after addition of whatever was used. We could do the same thing here with a PIWIS tool. You don't need to own it 100%, but just use it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There's a variety of gadgets that work with the Porsche on-board computer.

Porsche durametric: Diagnostic Tool for Porsche | Durametric which can be had for less than $300 and can apparently re-set service details if, for example, you've changed the engine oil yourself.

Porsche PIWIS: Porsche PIWIS 3 | How to buy it in your country? which probably costs an arm and a leg [and I don't know if it's available to everyone] and might be capable of building an entire car for all I know.

The Autel MaxiDiag MD808 Pro: which costs about $500 and is useful for registering new batteries and probably other things.

Would it be possible for owners who use any of these devices, or others, to share their wider experiences of using them here to give us all an idea how they might be useful?

Jules

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use the durametric - if all you're gonna do is reset service intervals, this works perfectly - otherwise its a bit expensive and limited on features. For example, will not retract the parking brake into service mode.

·
Super Moderator
2,177 Posts
OP: see the following:

·
Registered
30 Posts
We could do the same thing here with a PIWIS tool. You don't need to own it 100%, but just use it.
Annual fees for the PIWI ~$20,000 on top of the original cost.

Can anyone report back on the rumored annual fee for the Autels [post #8 and question asked about $200 fee in post #10]?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It seems that adding a towbar, or more particularly the wiring, can require "coding or activation" of the car's computer system.

Has anyone here done this DIY? Would something like the Autel do this job?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Guys,
FYI, Autel MD808 Pro cost is roughly $225 and includes lifetime updates. Today, I plugged mine into my car for the first time to see what it would tell me about my battery in addition to scanning my car. Here are some photos of the scanner with battery data.

IMG_6937.jpg
IMG_6937.jpg IMG_6936.jpg
IMG_6937.jpg IMG_6936.jpg IMG_6935.jpg IMG_6934.jpg IMG_6933.jpg IMG_6932.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
As someone with an Autel in the mail, that's very interesting, thanks.

Just out of interest, how old is your battery [with 73% ageing]?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I wonder if 73% Aging is the same as SOH?

Your battery still produces 73% of the spec EN A.

It would be interesting to fully change on a CTEK or other battery tender & then immediately run Autel MD 808 Pro report again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
$225 is VERY reasonable. Does this reset the maint light for oil changes and does it also allow battery registration?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wonder if 73% Aging is the same as SOH?

Your battery still produces 73% of the spec EN A.

It would be interesting to fully change on a CTEK or other battery tender & then immediately run Autel MD 808 Pro report again.
Funny you should ask. I just ran a cycle with my optima charger and thought I’d check the battery.

I posted a few months back when I found this feature. It’s under scan and fairly easy to find. Maybe the 4th option down on the list.

I don’t know if this means my battery is good or bad, but it seems better than before a charge cycle.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It seems that adding a towbar, or more particularly the wiring, can require "coding or activation" of the car's computer system.

Has anyone here done this DIY? Would something like the Autel do this job?
If you plan on doing the Porsche tow bar with the Porsche electronic module yes, it requires coding.
There are some options to connect the lights using some wireless modules which will not require any coding on the car.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Funny you should ask. I just ran a cycle with my optima charger and thought I’d check the battery.

I posted a few months back when I found this feature. It’s under scan and fairly easy to find. Maybe the 4th option down on the list.

I don’t know if this means my battery is good or bad, but it seems better than before a charge cycle.
I suspect it means your 2015 original battery is doing very well!
Assuming the EN Amps are 84% of the spec EN A.
Have you owned it for 6 years now?
Seems you are charging /driving it enough.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I use the durametric - if all you're gonna do is reset service intervals, this works perfectly - otherwise its a bit expensive and limited on features. For example, will not retract the parking brake into service mode.
Agreed. But another forum member here sold me his for $80, although I will likely end up getting the Autel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I suspect it means your 2015 original battery is doing very well!
Assuming the EN Amps are 84% of the spec EN A.
Have you owned it for 6 years now?
Seems you are charging /driving it enough.
Its the original battery. I’ve used that optima 12 amp charger on it often to see if I can’t keep it going for a bit longer. It’s kept my yellow top alive for 8 years now.

I drive about 12k/yr but often my drives are 2 miles at a time. About the worst thing for a car. But when I hit the road, it’s not uncommon to nail down many hundreds of miles in a day.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts