Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY16
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening to you all.
My name is Steve and I’m in perpetually sunny Queensland, Australia.

I love music and dabble in higher end home audio (two and multi-channel for stereo and movies respectively) with Cyrus Audio electronics and Mission Elegante series speakers.

I’ve also put nice systems in my cars and have judged and competed in sound quality sound offs in New Zealand and Australia.

We recently sold an Alfa Romeo 159 JTDm 2.4 and Mazda 3 SP25 and replaced them with a 2015 Macan Turbo in white.

There will be mods 😉 (actually already started...)

One of those mods will be the audio system. The Bose isn’t bad but it’s not especially good either and I am planning something much nicer than any Burmester system designed for a car.

I’ll be keeping the factory PCM but adding a Mobridge DA-1 to take audio from the PCM to my processor (Alpine PXA-H800). I’m also going to use my iPad Mini and Tidal Hifi for my sound quality listening into the same processor via USB and a Musical Fidelity V-Link II to optical Into the second optical input.

From there, audio will amplified by a pair of original old-school SoundStream Van Gogh amplifiers. The processor, amps and subs will be located in/on a custom floor level enclosure in the boot/trunk. The spare wheel will be set aside (we have a very comprehensive roadside assistance package in case hedging our bets fails).

Drivers up front are Audible Physics NZ 3 and 6. The 3” will play from 350Hz up and I won’t use a tweeter. Subs are Infinity Perfect 12VQ is sealed in-floor enclosures.

Apart from my two Wireworld Nova optical cables, all other signal cables are Nordost Purple Flare speaker cables and Red Dawn RCA cables.

So, I hope to document everything as I go and if you’re interested, feel free to follow and comment.

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY16
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just touching quickly on this: within days of picking up, a couple of K&N filters were fitted and some careful cutting took place on the filter lids and the bonnet vents for improved flow.

In Sport + and manual mode, the spooling and down-shifts sound glorious.

12mm forged spacers and longer bolts were all that was required to flush the 21” Turbo wheels to guards.

I’m now saving for a Cobb Access Port. I’ll need it after installing this stereo 🤦🏼‍♂️

Back to audio now.

I purchased some used A-Pillar trims and swapped them in. A hole saw and dremel tool were used to cut holes for the ball-float pods I am making to fit into.

I definitely couldn’t go higher because of the airbags. I’m short and have my seat slammed so this is almost at eye level anyway.

Drilled and keyed ready for gluing to position and glassing for strength.Final finish will be smooth and have Alcantara cloth over.

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY16
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A little more progress.
I hot-glued my pods into position to make sure they’re mounted on axis to the driver’s seat

I may adjust the left pod down a notch and then these will be fiberglassed Inside and outside, followed by bogging, sanding, high-fill priming and then off to the auto-trimmer for covering in Alcantara.

Just quickly, our his and hers key cheeks arrived.

Today I started my boot space build. This is where my amps, processor, capacitor and subs will live.

I used a Festool rail saw to cut my 17mm marine ply base. A couple of check-outs were required to ensure the base sits flat.

F62F0522-F33F-4C4C-B528-7A5F62C17B27.jpeg

I’ll build up from here.
I have two Infinity Perfect 12VQ subs which require 28-35L (1-1.25cu ft) each if used in sealed enclosures. The box I’ve designed will give me about 80L total. I’d previously fallen in love with infinite baffle enclosures but there’s no way I’m cutting out the floor and mounting a driver manifold in place in the Macan.

This pic shows kinda how my gear will be laid out in/on the box when it’s complete

My amplifiers are SoundStream Van Gogh Class A/B amps. I have a 5Fd Stinger capacitor for the front stage amp. This and my power distribution blocks will live Under the enclosure next to the battery.

My processor is Alpine’s RUX-C800 & PXA-H800. It’s “old tech” compared to many newer products but it’s more than powerful enough to do what I need. Plus, it lets me tune my system without needing to plug in a laptop. Sound quality is still superb even by today’s standards.

I’ve also been experimenting with my new iPad Mini, a new power supply and iFi USB audio filter as a source. Combined with an AudioQuest Jitterbug and Musical Fidelity V-Link II, this takes my Tidal Hifi from my iPhone or ipad via USB and converts it to TOSLINK optical to then be fed into my Alpine processor.

This gives exceptionally good sound quality and is what I’ll be using at sound quality competitions and shows.

For every day ease of use for my wife, I’ve also ordered a Mobridge DA-1 MOST adaptor to allow the PCM to also plug into my processor via optical. I did this to allow the radio and nav and lower quality iPhone music to use the new system all via PCM.

Wireless Apple CarPlay is on the cards but this will wait as I’ve been quoted AU$1700 for this feature which is ridiculous!

I have this weekend to build the box in the boot and should be able to report more progress then.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can hardly follow all the technical jargon but am fascinated by what you are doing and will be following your story. Your posts are fantastic and really appreciate the photos and details. Question: are you planning to mount the iPad Mini on the dash to control the music? I got a little lost on how the iPad integrates into your overall system.

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY16
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can hardly follow all the technical jargon but am fascinated by what you are doing and will be following your story. Your posts are fantastic and really appreciate the photos and details. Question: are you planning to mount the iPad Mini on the dash to control the music? I got a little lost on how the iPad integrates into your overall system.
Thanks. Happy to answer any Q's anytime.
I have a square magnetic mount coming which will plug into the 12V socket where the smoker's tray would normally sit. It will fill the hole where the flap cover would normally be. My phone and ipad have matching magnetic pucks on the back. I'll be able to control music while resting on the centre console armrest.
My Alpine preamp/processor has two optical digital inputs. One input will be used for the iPad/iphone and the other for audio from the PCM. I'll use the wired input (input 1) for my music as cabled still sounds better than wireless. My wife and I will use input 2 for all PCM functions for convenience when serious sound quality is not required.
I'm currently looking at a Joying wireless Carplay solution which will give voice control and hands-free for both inputs.

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY16
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some progress tonight on the dual subwoofer enclosure.

The majority of the enclosure is made from 17mm marine grade ply with internal bracing. The top will be 25mm marine grade ply.

Before the baffle goes on, what you see above will be sealed with a resin mix and then constrained layer damping sheets will be rolled on to deaden the panels.

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY16
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As promised, apart from cosmetic finishing and trims, I pretty much finished my subwoofer enclosure this weekend.

Bracing is adequate and I’ve also used CLD enclosure treatment in it to deaden the ply. Before applying the CLD, it received a generous resin coating to seal it.

The baffle for the subs was fluted on the rear and T-nuts fitted for the M6 hex bolts I have

It fits perfectly but even with ply, it’s very heavy. Bit concerned about how this could affect the handling of the car

Gear insitu

With all this equipment, it is a struggle to hinge it up for access to the battery but it can be done.

Surprisingly, the extra 50 odd Kg of mass didn’t seem to affect the car, I suspect due to some clever Porsche suspension trickery and the power the Turbo has available.

The Mobridge DA-1 MOST converter is on the way and I’ll be wiring up everything when that swaps out the Bose amp hidden in the side panel.

All analogue cabling is Nordost. I’ll be running continuous lengths of Purple Flare from amps to speakers. I couldn’t bear to use the factory wiring as lots of joins in mediocre quality cable is not good for audio. I’ve also made up custom lengths of Red Dawn LS RCA cables to connect the processor to the amps. Digital cables are a mix of Nordost USB and Wireworld TOSLINK optical.

Anyway, more on that soon...

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY16
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here’s a few gear close-ups.

The two channel amp bridged to run the subs.

The four channel amp for my front stage speakers.

My two subs. These are single voice coil models in 4 Ohm. The amp powering them doesn’t like seeing a 2 Ohm load when bridged so I’ll be running them in series for 8 Ohms. Not ideal but potentially up to 400w RMS of old school Class A/B goodness on tap should still be ok.

·
Registered
Macan Turbo MY16
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife is treating Ms 16 to a 17th girl’s weekend away birthday this weekend which means I needed to sort the pod angles tonight.

Fine tuning their axis angles to align right on the driver’s headrest crest tonight means I can remove the trims tomorrow and fiberglass them permanently into position when the girls are away.

My alignment tool

Protractor, steel rule, laser, bluetac.

Hot glue spotted into position. Not pretty but it works

The results

My ears are level with the crest on my headrest and using the laser tool, I got both pods to the same horizontal level smack across the middle of the crest. The vertical points were within about 2-3cm of each other which is good enough and well within the goal of being within 5° axis for both 3” drivers.

This took a while to get This close but it’ll be worth it for creating an accurate sonic stage with every performer in their right place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts