Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big part of whether to change cars is the dealers. Any Aussies got any feedback on the local PCA dealers. I'm in NSW but also travel to Canberra a bit. I'm aware of Parramatta/Willoughby/Canberra that are closeish...
How informative/helpful have they been? What deposits do they require?
Any feedback appreciated!
BA

·
Registered
972 Posts
Willoughby:
$1k EOI refundable deposit (not sure if they're taking them any more)
$5k actual deposit (with contract, inclusive of EOI)

I was the first there to place an actual deposit (and 32nd to place EOI) and I had to wait around while they fiddled with the computers so that they showed the Macan in the order system. I also showed them how to access the public configurator as info was scarce at that time and they said I knew more than them :)

They told me no discounts on the Macan at all, but of course ymmv. Dealer delivery is 2% of the actual base price (and included in the "base price" shown on the invoice) so if you're a repeat customer I imagine this would vanish.

Friendly dealership, quite a few cars to sit in but other than the cars being quite nice, not that dissimilar to any other car dealership.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have my $1000 deposit with Porche Centre Willoughby and as i am not based in Sydney all Dealings have been on the phone. Very nice to talk to on the phone and responsive to email.

I am intrigued about the dealer delivery being a percentage. I am yet to discuss this with them other than pointing out that the PCA website does not include dealer delivery in the driveaway price. Apparently they have advised Porsche.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I am intrigued about the dealer delivery being a percentage. I am yet to discuss this with them other than pointing out that the PCA website does not include dealer delivery in the driveaway price. Apparently they have advised Porsche.
The online driveaway price calculator also does not add luxury car tax for any options. You can test this by adding $x of options, and the driveaway price should increase by $x + 36.5% (30% LCT ++ 5% stamp duty) but the last time I checked, it only increased by $x + 5%.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your feedback so far. Seems like most of us are 1st time Porsche buyers which is what PCA were hoping for.
Has anyone used Parramatta or Canberra Centres?
Any existing Porsche owners have feedback on the Service Departments?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Willoughby:

They told me no discounts on the Macan at all, but of course ymmv. Dealer delivery is 2% of the actual base price (and included in the "base price" shown on the invoice) so if you're a repeat customer I imagine this would vanish.

Hi all - Porsche is completely new to me. Looking to upgrade from a 3yo BMW X1. Was considering the new X5 x30d (~$110k) but then got interested in Macan. My target budget for the next car is $100k. I am in Sydney, near to both Willoughby and Parramatta dealers but haven't gotten in touch with anyone. Just came across this forum today in search of local forums and found you guys! and most helpful Excel spreadsheet from Chillyds (meticulous!)

Can anyone confirm that Porsche doesn't have a similar 'corporate program' like BMW where they discount the Dealer Delivery (and complimentary 4y free service). I didn't find anything like this on their website. Also, is it then the case that there is no discount whatsoever on Porsche cars, or is it just this particular Macan (given its popularity). I also read on caradvice.com that the first 150 to arrive in Australia will have the Chrono Pack. So does that mean for example, if you do not want the Chrono Pack and just want the base model you must order and wait for subsequent build/shipment after the first 150 cars.

Does anyone have experience with Porsche servicing. Does Porsche cars have conditions-based servicing like the one on BMWs (car computer indicating when or what needs to be serviced/replaced). So far annually I just bring the X1 to the service and they take a reading from the key fob which gives a readout of what service is needed. Wondering what is it like with Porsche. In this regard, does Porsche offer free servicing at all (under corporate program or otherwise)?

I realise its a long list of questions but grateful if anyone could shed light on Porsche ownership.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Just drop in to a dealer. Everyone at Porsche Willoughby is very friendly :) They'd be the best to ask about a corporate discount. You're looking at a max $2k discount though which is roughly the dealer delivery on the Macan S models.

First 150 cars have the "Sports pack" which is 6 options as per the caradvice article. Those options do nothing for me so I specced my own, which is quite fun once you get your head around the options. Good things come to those who wait!

Servicing I heard was $700 first year, $1200 second year, not sure about third year.

It's not very different to ordering a new car anywhere else, except the cars are nicer and the numbers are bigger. The process itself (apart from choosing options) is very ordinary... which I like :)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
There is no 'corporate program' at Porsche Australia regrettably. Their reasoning is it's a niche market which in reality means they are making waaaay too much cash to throw in free servicing.

·
Super Moderator
11,577 Posts
In this regard, does Porsche offer free servicing at all (under corporate program or otherwise)?
You do realize that you got nothing for free from BMW? You paid for those services as an upfront sunk cost. Think of it this way. Without those "free" services, your bimmer would have been much, much cheaper. Its all a gimmick.

Since you pay for all services with Porsche, don't you think it a better way of doing business in that if you don't actually use those services, for example you get rid of your car prior to using them all, then you don't pay for them?

Nothing is free. ;)

The maintenance is pretty simple and more or less the same for all models. Oil change once/year (10K miles). Bleed the brakes every two years. Minor service every 20K. Major service every 40K. Figure on new rear tires every 10K, new fronts every 20K. So every other year: 4 new tires, bleed brakes, and minor or major service. Bring a big checkbook for those major services.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Anyone with experience haggling with Porsche Australian dealers?

My understanding is the Macan will unlikely be discounted in anyway but what off asking something like 2-3K off the driveaway price? Realistic?

They had 200+ firm orders a few weeks ago out of a first year allocation of 640 so unlikely to haggle. Note that even more so than Canada (comment in another post) Australia having 200 out of 640 firm orders essentially means sold out because a lot more people will have put down $1k to be in the queue and are waiting to see the vehicle. So once the car is launched here in June I expect the first year allocation to be spoken for pretty much immediately.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Anyone with experience haggling with Porsche Australian dealers?
My understanding is the Macan will unlikely be discounted in anyway but what off asking something like 2-3K off the driveaway price? Realistic?

I got $1k off on my Turbo, but I'm a repeat customer.

In Aust the Macan is extremely competitively priced; the traditional 'Porsche Aust' premium seems to have been suspended for the Macan, but don't expect this to extend to servicing. I suspect 'new' Macan customers will be in the same boat as everyone else. When considering the cost of Porsche 'ownership' it's important to factor in tyres (as Grim said, count on replacing them often and you need to splash out on N rated tyres) and servicing. We have a BMW & I’ve found Porsche servicing to be about double that of the X5.

One plus with Porsche is you can extend the factory warranty up to 10 years. I did this, extending my coverage for 4 additional years (7yrs in total). This is not cheap, ~$2300pa, but it brings great peace of mind & enabled me to v easily sell my 911 privately – was able to advertise a 7 yr old car with a 12 month full factory warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got $1k off on my Turbo, but I'm a repeat customer.

In Aust the Macan is extremely competitively priced; the traditional 'Porsche Aust' premium seems to have been suspended for the Macan, but don't expect this to extend to servicing. I suspect 'new' Macan customers will be in the same boat as everyone else. When considering the cost of Porsche 'ownership' it's important to factor in tyres (as Grim said, count on replacing them often and you need to splash out on N rated tyres) and servicing. We have a BMW & I’ve found Porsche servicing to be about double that of the X5.

One plus with Porsche is you can extend the factory warranty up to 10 years. I did this, extending my coverage for 4 additional years (7yrs in total). This is not cheap, ~$2300pa, but it brings great peace of mind & enabled me to v easily sell my 911 privately – was able to advertise a 7 yr old car with a 12 month full factory warranty.
Ouch, just a $1000 discount? I noted my quote had no specific dealer delivery cost placed in the list. Is this a porsche practice? I'm sure its factored in the base price already so impossible to know but seems like a good price otherwise. Still, would be worthwhile trying to get something off their asking price, just want to be realistic when I do it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Realistically? - give it a go, but be prepared to pay full price.

1st time Aust buyers don't realise what a great price the Macan is going for here!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ouch, just a $1000 discount? I noted my quote had no specific dealer delivery cost placed in the list. Is this a porsche practice? I'm sure its factored in the base price already so impossible to know but seems like a good price otherwise. Still, would be worthwhile trying to get something off their asking price, just want to be realistic when I do it.

Assume about A$8000 for dealer delivery...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Realistically? - give it a go, but be prepared to pay full price.

1st time Aust buyers don't realise what a great price the Macan is going for here!
I agree. In the context of Porsche pricing in Australia, the Macan represents excellent value for money. The standard Macan Turbo has all the components of a Carrera 4S at well under half the price. We have always paid too much for cars in Australia and with the Australian dollar now heading south, there has never been a better time to buy a Porsche.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I agree. In the context of Porsche pricing in Australia, the Macan represents excellent value for money. The standard Macan Turbo has all the components of a Carrera 4S at well under half the price. We have always paid too much for cars in Australia and with the Australian dollar now heading south, there has never been a better time to buy a Porsche.
In the US a C4S costs 1.46 X the price of a Macan turbo.
In Aust a C4S costs 2.05 X the price of a MT.

Put another way; if Porsche Aust had applied it's traditional pricing strategy, the MT would be costing us $192K.

The same thing applies with the Cayenne, in most other countries the MS is more expensive than the base Cayenne, here it's $16K cheaper.

Agree with your comment on the exchange rate, the price of cars here will now be heading in one direction.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.