Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting this thread to try and help gauge how much 'bang for the buck' is to be received when ticking the respective audio options on new Macan orders...

Why? Because i) I think automobile manufacturers generally fall short in offering ample info. on the sonic improvements we get can expect to receive for our money, and ii) I've read quite a few negative comments about the BOSE® option on other Porsche forums (for other Porsche models), often resulting in users having to perform some DIY modifications in order to 'de-muddify' the bottom-end. NB: I'm not going to cast these aspersions on the BOSE® option in the Macan as things may very well be different, I'm just treating it as a warning flag, that's all.

Before beginning, I respect that all of our pairs of ears are unique and that we all have different aural taste / opinions as to what sounds good and what doesn't. IMO - the most accurate and impartial ears in the world sit aside the heads of those talented Sound Engineers in the music industry who are responsible for post-process mix-downs - those guys hear things in a mix that I would never hear in a million years!

The first thing that we need to establish for certainty, is the number of audio alternatives available on the Macan. I believe the answer to this question is either 2 or 4 - depending on the model:

Macan Turbo
  • Standard BOSE®
  • Burmester option
Macan S and Diesel S
  • Standard
  • PCM Option
  • BOSE Option
  • Burmester option
The surprise in the pack to some maybe the PCM option (for the S and Diesel S). This is because it it not billed as an audio option, until you dig a little deeper. Not by looking at the PCM information in the 'Comfort' section of the Macan information page (UK version here; Porsche Communication Management (PCM) - Comfort | Porsche), but by clicking on the little 'i' for information symbol in the Porsche Car Configurator for the Macan. It is there where it explicitly states that the number of loudspeakers is 11 and the total output watts is 235. This would imply that it is an improvement on the standard offering...

...Therein lies the question - there is nowhere (that I can find) that states what the S and Diesel S have by way of the standard audio system in terms of speakers, total output watts, amp. channels etc.? I can speculate that it will be the same as the non-Turbo Cayenne models, which is 10 speakers and 100 total output watts. If the post from where I've gleaned this information (Base CDR-31 audio vs. PCM audio - 6speedonline.com Forums) is also applicable to the Macan, then the PCM option also up-rates the number of channels in the amp. from 4 to 7.

Does anyone have the means to verify this speculation for the Macan S and Diesel S's standard audio system?

Also, I would dearly like to understand the depths to which BOSE® have worked with Porsche on the Macan to truly understand the audio dynamics in the cabin and how to enhance the audio experience? It would seem to me that the partnership has not always worked, and that there are a lot of disgruntled Boxster and Cayman owners who ticked that particular option box (Bose sub stuffing -)?

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
It's hard to find... It's only listed in the configurator under standard equipment. It would be nice if it were listed under the overview or technical specs. Porsche has never been good with their web design...

Electrical Systems
CDR Plus audio system with 11 speakers and 235 watts
7-inch TFT display, RDS double tuner radio and MP3 compatible single disc CD/DVD player
Universal Audio Interface (Aux-In, USB, iPOD®)
Bluetooth® hands-free mobile phone connection

Based on comments from Cayman owners about Bose, as well as my experience with Bose in Audi products, I think the only worthwhile upgrade option is the Burmester. Unfortunately that one is truly cost prohibitive.

Reactions: IvanC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a great spot, Whoosh - I never thought to look in the 'Standard features' section of the Configurator - kudos to you! I agree the Porsche website could be improved a little, but I've got to say that the 3D mode on the Configurator is the best I have ever seen from any car manufacturer - and I've seen a lot of them recently!

So your find makes things a whole lot simpler in terms of audio options offered, i.e.:

Macan Turbo
  • Standard BOSE®
  • Burmester option
Macan S and Diesel S
  • Standard CDR Plus
  • BOSE option
  • Burmester option
I've visualised these for comparison in both table and graph form (based on GBP cost):

What stands-out for me is the apparent 'dip' in the number of amplification channels for the BOSE®, and the severe increase in the number of amplification channels for the Burmester - one amp. to drive each individual speaker.

Of course what this graph doesn't convey is how good these systems sound. Unfortunately it won't be until April at the earliest it would seem, until we can actually sit in some vehicles and have a listen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I think based on the post above, Goldie is either in finance or engineering of some sort. :)

I can tell you that the Burmester sound is definitely engineered for the vehicle and will be the most satisfying if you can accept the pricing. The Bose will have some advanced DSP, obviously more power, and probably upgraded components. Whether it's to your taste is another story. The only Bose products I enjoy personally are their noise cancellation headphones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha - you're so right whoosh :) - I'm a Pre-Sales (technical) guy that sells software to the finance industry.

I too have pair of BOSE® noise cancelling headphones and think they are great (their after sales service is good too). I've compared them side-by-side with Sennheiser's and Sony's and the BOSE® are strides ahead - I never fly without them.

I would love to have deep enough pockets to stretch to a Burmester based upon the rave reviews from other owners of other Porsche models. However, I think for the majority of people it will be whether the BOSE® is going to be value for money, or whether it will be a disappointment - as seems to be the case in other models. Roll on April when hopefully we can find out :)

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have a fairly nice home theatre setup (Anthem amp, Paradigm speakers) and wouldn't let any Bose product inside my front door, however in the compromised environment of a car I think they should be good bang for buck. It comes with AudioPilot or something, meant to adjust the response curve according to the road noise (although I have read this can erase the bass)

In Australia they are a $3,600 option though so while I have it ticked atm, if the standard PCM audio is sufficient (PCM w/ Nav is standard here) I would find it very easy to untick! :)

Burmester costs $15,820 here so that is just silly and well beyond the curve of diminishing returns.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I have a fairly nice home theatre setup (Anthem amp, Paradigm speakers) and wouldn't let any Bose product inside my front door, however in the compromised environment of a car I think they should be good bang for buck. It comes with AudioPilot or something, meant to adjust the response curve according to the road noise (although I have read this can erase the bass)

In Australia they are a $3,600 option though so while I have it ticked atm, if the standard PCM audio is sufficient (PCM w/ Nav is standard here) I would find it very easy to untick! :)

Burmester costs $15,820 here so that is just silly and well beyond the curve of diminishing returns.
All good, but you cant own a 2014 macan. ;)

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Did some more digging around and have decided to take the gamble with standard audio. A lot of people who are upset with base audio have had the 100W system which is almost universally pathetic, but the Macan comes with the 235W system base which is apparently decent and easily upgradable if necessary.

Bose performance seems to be largely dependent on the car - in many cars it is boomy and muddy although this can sometimes be fixed by stuffing wadding into the subwoofer port. Rear bose speakers are pathetic so a front balance must be used for decent sound. Upgrading speakers is problematic due to the wacky resistances and crossover frequencies.

Burmester is good if it's affordable in your country.

So I'll go with the standard PCM audio which frees up money for me to go back to the red/black full leather interior I know I really want :) My 2012 Macan is gonna be awesome

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Did some more digging around and have decided to take the gamble with standard audio. A lot of people who are upset with base audio have had the 100W system which is almost universally pathetic, but the Macan comes with the 235W system base which is apparently decent and easily upgradable if necessary.

Bose performance seems to be largely dependent on the car - in many cars it is boomy and muddy although this can sometimes be fixed by stuffing wadding into the subwoofer port. Rear bose speakers are pathetic so a front balance must be used for decent sound. Upgrading speakers is problematic due to the wacky resistances and crossover frequencies.

Burmester is good if it's affordable in your country.

So I'll go with the standard PCM audio which frees up money for me to go back to the red/black full leather interior I know I really want :) My 2012 Macan is gonna be awesome
I actually did this as well. The sales guy was pushing the Bose but by the end of the build I was looking to reduce the price a little and the base spec stereo didn't look too bad. I think I'll be spending a lot of time listening to the exhaust anyway.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Just wish we could see the car, how bout a trip to Tokyo in Jan for a look?
That's pretty close to home?
That could be fun, is there an event where we can actually sit in it?

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I think I'll be spending a lot of time listening to the exhaust anyway.
This is my thought as well for going with base audio. I've made a substantial investment in home audio. I'd rather listen to pops and cracks on overrun while driving the Porsche, and leave the critical listening to my home setup.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Some interesting observations about the PCM/CDR+ 235W sound system vs the Bose from the 6speed forums:
I had a chance to compare the PCM audio to the Bose(585 watts including a 200 watt subwoofer), surprisingly I found the bass of the PCM stronger than the Bose. The Bose does have better overall sonic clarity. But for day-to-day listening, including CDs and iPod, I find the PCM to be more than adequate.
The current PCM audio is now comparable to the previous Cayenne's Bose system.
2011 Cayenne specs, but you get the idea:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Turbos come with Bose as standard ... they can't sound worse than PCM right ? I'd love to go for Burmester but the price is starting to get a bit ridiculous (3600€ on turbo model) don't you think ? ... I ll ony drive the car once a week (unfortunately)

·
Registered
972 Posts
It shouldn't sound too much worse than PCM. As per the Bose thread, people who have compared 235W CDR+/PCM with Bose say it is quite close (although the PCM may have more bass)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.