Porsche Macan Forum banner
461 - 477 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Macan turbo
246 Posts
The atturo 850 tire has been around for some years Those that would like to explore the opions of others could look at some mustang forums. Even the GT 500 guys have positive opinions concernng them. I was in the blue ridge mountains today driving in heavy rain and my 850’s handled it without a problem. No I wasnt doing 100 mph, but I did hit substancial puddles in the road at speeds over 45 mph.
Tires will always be a personnel choice. Thats cool. If another runs another brand,size etc, that is their choice and I respect that. I only post to share my experience. Personnally I wish Porsche had not decided to go with a non square set up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There is some advantage to technology. I started my career at an “unnamed” tire company in the late 1960’s. During the time I was there I saw tires go from 4 ply bias to bias belted tires to radial. And of course the materials in the tire improved greatly. The 10 years I was in the industry had more evolution then probably the previous 50 years. Michelin developed the radial in 1948 and radials from other tire manufacturers did not hit the market in any volume until the early 1970’s.

Michelin was, and still is, very secretive about their process. Example: if your job was to mix tire compound (mill room) you only saw that portion of the manufacturing facility. Same with tire construction, curing, etc. The “rumor” in the industry at that time was Michelin’s tire compounds showed more consistency year to year (tires carry a traceable code when they were built) then most competitive companies batch to batch. That consistency and process control is what made them the company they are today.

However, with time comes competitors that are learning what they have to do to make a tire with the consistency as Michelin. The competition has had 50 years to catch up with Michelin and some have done a very good job at catching up. Michelin still makes a very good product but some other manufacturers get close….and cost less.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
This what I like
The 800
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

the 850

Tire Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber Tread

In my chat w/ Atturo, the rep said the two were very, very close in performance but the evacuation/dispersion of water was the difference.
The 850 will do better in snow, he said.... I never see snow
My 'S' is plugged in under its blanket

THAT is what I like..... regardless of $$$

My QuattroPorte had similar tires
It purged the water up like being in a boat....past the rear view mirrors

i LOVED IT !!!!

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
They have buy 3 get 1 free for some in stock tires. Good deal!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The tread pattern of the 850s looks pretty much the same as the n-spec Continental Sport Contact. Pity they're not available where I am.

I was also an early adopter of Hancook tyres, on a Honda S2000 no less. Those tyres were fantastic on and off the track, and about half the price of the OEM Bridgestones at the time.

So the adage, "you get what you pay for" doesn't always apply.

·
Registered
2015 Macan turbo
246 Posts
Wls1425. I respect your post and your insight. Consistency is a factor to consider. As the retail customer the only way to tell is to rely on their own experience or those of us who have people we trust give us their experience. I certainly do not believe marketing any more. I also give only cautious belief to only a few associations that “test” tires…such as Grass Roots Motorsports etc. Time will reveal the value or no value of the atturo tire.
Anyway enough about tires! Let’s talk about brake pads!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was also an early adopter of Hancook tyres, on a Honda S2000 no less. Those tyres were fantastic on and off the track, and about half the price of the OEM Bridgestones at the time.
Ha! Had an S2000 Club Racer which I made the mistake of selling 10 years ago and miss it to this day. Should have known I was making a huge mistake when the buyer flew in with his wife from 1500 miles away and paid me my asking price and drove it home.

Had the same Hankook experience as you did. I kept reading positive comments from other owners and finally decided to try a set despite that others were poo-pooing the unknown brand despite having no knowledge or experience with them. Absolutely reminds me of the situation here.

It was not long before the negative comments disappeared. Even funnier was someone pointing out examples of naysayers who went back and retracted their negative comments:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
It is interesting isn’t it. You have people buying these tyres and loving them and others who have never tried them telling you that you can’t like them because they have the wrong name on them

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
It is interesting isn’t it. You have people buying these tyres and loving them and others who have never tried them telling you that you can’t like them because they have the wrong name on them
Those Atturo 850's are looking better every time this issue comes up. It would be best if they came out with the right sizes for the 20" wheels.

·
Registered
2018 MACAN S
5 Posts
Atturo 850's may be great, but cannot find a set for a Macan in Florida. Have to go 21" Michelin Sport 4S

·
Registered
408 Posts
Simple Tire.... ship and install
Simple Tire is good. I've bought tires from them for other cars in the past. But it definitely can pay to do a search and look at other on line Atturo retailers. Can often save $50 or more for a few minutes effort.

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
183 Posts
So true. ;) Hey, the entire fashion industry is based on that premise. Kim Kardashian and family are among the richest people in America based on that premise. Maybe our fellow Macan owner considers himself an "Internet Influencer" and is just doing his thing?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Digby
I took your advice and looked around...

Other retailers had lees available sizes - not mine
some had my front but not rears...

Simple has them all and a local installer!
PLUS better pricing

Simple Tire is good. I've bought tires from them for other cars in the past. But it definitely can pay to do a search and look at other on line Atturo retailers. Can often save $50 or more for a few minutes effort.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Further to searching for other sellers -

The Atturo site lists their retailers
BUT
They issue a ntice NOT to buy from WalMart or Amazon who are unauthorized sellers

461 - 477 of 477 Posts