Porsche Macan Forum banner

241 - 260 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
It’s funny. Even in the worst of storms, we’re no more than a day or two from getting out but people make like it’ll be forever before we get out. I’m not expecting these tires to get me out when there’s 10’ drifts. All I want is for them to give me a reasonable shot at not getting stranded in 4”-6” snow. These Atturos have lived up to my expectations. Especially for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
It’s funny. Even in the worst of storms, we’re no more than a day or two from getting out but people make like it’ll be forever before we get out. I’m not expecting these tires to get me out when there’s 10’ drifts. All I want is for them to give me a reasonable shot at not getting stranded in 4”-6” snow. These Atturos have lived up to my expectations. Especially for the price.

In my case, I can't assume I will always have the ability to sit at home for a day or two after a major storm before the roads are in good shape, much less always be able to avoid having to drive during a wiinter weather event. That's the primary reason I have an AWD vehicle to begin with.

Summer tires make more sense for me as I'm switching over to winter tires for the colder months anyway. Learned long ago (the hard way) that all season tires cannot be trusted when the going gets tough, much less to be able to stop in time on an icy road. My logic has long been if winter tires keep me out of just one accident, it was worth the trouble of switching to them each year. Think we could learn a lot from the areas in Europe where you can get a traffic ticket for not having winter tires on your vehicle during a winter weather event. Apparently some areas in Canada are starting to have similar regulations.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The Whistler /Blackcomb area has such a regulation - Starts October 1 every year

In the 'good old days'... I ran 4 studded tires on my Shelby Mustang GT500
I had to watch the rear view mirror b/c nobody else could stop as quickly

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can’t say I disagree with anything you said Wolverine. I am fortunate that if the weather is that bad, I have the luxury of staying home and wait for the plow truck for my road and driveway. If that wasn’t the case I probably would follow your lead and get dedicated snow tires for winter use. I also agree that all-season/M&S tires don’t do anything all that well.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Got the AZ 850's installed a few days ago and I am extremely pleased.

The tires look great (better than the Michelin LS3's), much more quiet than the LS3's, corner sharply, and especially have a softer and more plush ride than the Michelin's. Bump absorption is noticeably better. Granted new tires have more rubber on the ground than tires with 18,000 miles worn ... but I immediately noticed the softer feel over bumps. Overall, I am very pleased with these tires.

For my daily driver around town, these tires just make sense. Very happy with my decision to give them a try.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Got the AZ 850's installed a few days ago and I am extremely pleased.

The tires look great (better than the Michelin LS3's), much more quiet than the LS3's, corner sharply, and especially have a softer and more plush ride than the Michelin's. Bump absorption is noticeably better. Granted new tires have more rubber on the ground than tires with 18,000 miles worn ... but I immediately noticed the softer feel over bumps. Overall, I am very pleased with these tires.

For my daily driver around town, these tires just make sense. Very happy with my decision to give them a try.
Do you sense any difference in the steering/handling?

I know when I switch from my OEM summer Conti's to my Pirelli Winter Scorpions the ride is softer but some of the on center feel is gone, and the winter tires don't provide reactions to steering inputs as immediately as the summers do. Feels like the sidewalls on the winter tires are likely softer.

Not all all surprised by that (given that the difference between summer and winter tires is typically substantial), but the difference is significant and immediately noticeable. Others have mentioned tires are always a compromise, and I do subscribe to that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Have over 400 miles on the Atturo's now, and still lovin' them. As stated above, the softer ride of these tires might also mean a tiny bit softer steering input when turning the steering wheel sharply, not as "crisp" as the Latitudes, but for me the softer and quieter ride is more important. This is my daily driver and these tires are awesome.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Just to be clear, the slight difference in ”crispness” I feel in sudden steering wheel input is extremely minimal. The Atturo’s corner superbly.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Was wondering for those who have switched over to the 850’s on their 21’s what tire pressure you run them at for best wear/performance? I have them at 36psi but unsure if that’s optimal or not. First set of 21’s so I’m curious!

Tires they replaced were the Pirelli P-Zeros...those had sharp sharp sharp handling! The 850’s are close to those but not quite there! Overall a great tire so far. Just had them installed tonight. Did anybody running these notice a break in period at all?

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
I did some research on the Atturo AZ850 tires. Most reviews are good, except for a complaint about the bad treadwear. Seems that they last only 15k miles no matter how they’re driven.

Does anyone have any experience with the tire’s treadwear?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have been studying these tires for a while and the reviews are all pretty good....

I don't recall any mention of a 15K mile life - that would nix the purchase for me

·
Registered
954 Posts
I did some research on the Atturo AZ850 tires. Most reviews are good, except for a complaint about the bad treadwear. Seems that they last only 15k miles no matter how they’re driven.

Does anyone have any experience with the tire’s treadwear?
See my post #204 above. I don’t recall even one person reporting treadwear anywhere near as low as 15k miles. Seems clear mine will last at least 30k.

Not really surprised as the rubber compound is definitely harder versus the OEM Conti.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Summer tires are not supposed to be driven under 45F. They may be damaged/cracked.
I think that's being overly cautious.

No question there's a point at which the softer rubber compound of a winter tire is going to provide more grip versus a summer tire. Some say it's about 45 degrees, others say 40 degrees. and I would suspect it varies somewhat from tire to tire, and no question it varies depending on the temperature of the tires themselves. We have Michelin PSS's on three cars, and the tires definitely get some of their grip back on a cold day as the tires heat up from driving..

It's not like you are going to go flying off the road if you use summer tires on a dry road at 35 degrees and are not driving aggressively. The loss of grip is progressive as the temperatures lower.

So far as damage goes, that becomes a factor at even lower temperatures. For example, GM uses 20 degrees as the threshold. (GM bulletin #13-03-10-001A: "Information on Tire Cold Weather Cracking" – (Jan 30, 2014) advises “avoid driving, moving, or test-driving vehicles equipped with high-performance summer-only tires below 20º F as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires.”).

Not claiming summer tires are optimal below 40 degrees, and not suggesting summer tires should be used at all much below freezing But it's not like you necessarily need to park your summer tire equipped vehicle every time the temp dips to 35 and the roads are dry. Just use common sense. Obviously if you start exploring the limits of adhesion at 30 degrees with your summer tires, you are asking for trouble. And never never use summer tires on roads that have any moisture at all as the temps approach the freezing mark.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Anybody have data on how long these tires are lasting? Also what psi is everybody using on them?
See my post number 252 above. There are also a number of other comments regarding treadwear above. Appears these last longer than the N spec alternatives.

I have been running mine at the usual 36 front 39 rear.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
I am running 33/36 on my 21’s as per Porsche reco, the are the same size tires as OEM, pressure seems to drive fine.
and as far as treadwear, I can’t believe what I’m reading, C’mon guys! Jeez, for $500 a set, who cares.
P.S., Still very happy with these tires.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ah, gotcha. Thank you for confirming. That helps me narrow down to Michelin PS4 SUV or Pirelli PZERO All Season Plus

241 - 260 of 271 Posts