Porsche Macan Forum banner

221 - 240 of 271 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
Atturo AZ850 seems to be summer tires, but they make other tires too. Not sure if they make the 21" size tires for Macan.

Check Simpletire.com.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Two snow events in last week. Both 4+ inches. Main roads sloppy, back roads passable but snow covered. Although the Atturos are not snow or even M+S, they held their own - certainly due to the AWD capabilities of the Macan. Would these work in a rear or front drive only? Eh, let’s just say I wouldn’t want to be the one to try them out. However, with AWD, the Atturos certainly won’t leave you stranded in light to moderate conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
Summer tires are not supposed to be driven under 45F. They may be damaged/cracked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don’t believe these are specific Summer tires as nowhere on the Atturo website are these designated as such. As a matter of fact, Atturo assigns these tires with a snow rating of 4/10. I believe someone here designated them “Summer” tires based on the tread design.

·
Super Moderator
1,635 Posts
Summer tires are not supposed to be driven under 45F. They may be damaged/cracked.

It's not so much those reasons - it's the rubber compound. The ultra-high performance tires have a soft,
sticky compound that's flexible in warmer temperatures in order to maintain contact with the road surface
(maximize traction). That compound becomes stiff in colder temperatures and the rubber never gets warmed
up enough to deliver it's best traction.

Now, add in some snow on the road which packs itself in between the tire's tread blocks. Recall these tread
blocks are now stiff because it's so cold. As the tire goes around, these blocks cannot flex in order to release
the packed in snow (like a snow/winter tire would do). When the tire completes its revolution it next meets
the road surface as a slick - tread blocks + packed in snow = minimal traction and spinning.

...smell the burning rubber... Ahhh...

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
simpletire.com

·
Registered
966 Posts
We only talk about the 850 series - it seems

the 800 is equally good - and comes in 20" sizes

read on ---

Sorry
I now realize that I posted this comparison before

I notice - in reading back - some talk about non Porsche OEM sizes

When my time comes - I'll be calling Atturo ro Simple Tire to sort that out

·
Registered
127 Posts
Curious where this info came from. Thought temperatures had to be well below freezing before this would become a concern.

Although I do recall reading about some Corvette tires that could be damaged by merely storing them at cold temperatures. But I thought what they meant by cold temperatures was well below freezing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
OK, I finally did it!

I'm the guy that started this thread almost 2 years ago. I appreciate that this thread has generated lots of opinions, facts, and non-facts, what I was looking for were real life reviews. Those that actually have the Atturo's have had only positive reviews and comments.

So I decided, for the type of around town driving I do, it just made sense to try the Atturo's. I just ordered a set of AZ850´s from Carid. $570 shipped. Of course I will get back with more comments once I install them on the car. Thanks everybody for your input!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Two snow events in last week. Both 4+ inches. Main roads sloppy, back roads passable but snow covered. Although the Atturos are not snow or even M+S, they held their own - certainly due to the AWD capabilities of the Macan. Would these work in a rear or front drive only? Eh, let’s just say I wouldn’t want to be the one to try them out. However, with AWD, the Atturos certainly won’t leave you stranded in light to moderate conditions.

My experience with these tires in winter conditions when I had them on my Grand Cherokee was very different than yours.

I got caught in a very late season winter weather event, and while there was never enough snow that I needed to worry about getting stuck, what really caught my attention was how poor the braking was on a snow or ice covered surface. Nowhere near as good as with a typical all season tire.

Would definitely advise steering clear of using these when there is frozen precip on the road. But for warmer weather use, I think they are an amazing bargain.

·
Premium Member
5,959 Posts
Curious where this info came from. Thought temperatures had to be well below freezing before this would become a concern.

Although I do recall reading about some Corvette tires that could be damaged by merely storing them at cold temperatures. But I thought what they meant by cold temperatures was well below freezing.
Tirerack.com has more info on summer tires.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tirerack.com has more info on summer tires.
They did not mention 45°. They said "if ambient temperatures drop below freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced"

·
Registered
297 Posts
My experience with these tires in winter conditions when I had them on my Grand Cherokee was very different than yours.

I got caught in a very late season winter weather event, and while there was never enough snow that I needed to worry about getting stuck, what really caught my attention was how poor the braking was on a snow or ice covered surface. Nowhere near as good as with a typical all season tire.

Would definitely advise steering clear of using these when there is frozen precip on the road. But for warmer weather use, I think they are an amazing bargain.
‘thanks for that input. It’s basically all I needed to hear. IMO it’s not worth the risk of having an accident. I’ll pay up and run good all seasons on my Macan.

·
Registered
127 Posts
‘thanks for that input. It’s basically all I needed to hear. IMO it’s not worth the risk of having an accident. I’ll pay up and run good all seasons on my Macan.
Tires always seem to be a trade off.

One of the issues with all season tires is that you are giving up the level of handling and grip summer performance tires provide. And for many of us the unusually good handling for an SUV is one of the major reasons for choosing a Macan.

Of course it's a hassle to change tires twice a year, and lots of people will not bother. And then some of us live in areas where the warm weather season is so short summer tires are just not viable at all.

All a matter of priorities, and not all of us have the same priorities. I very much enjoy the superior warmer weather handling of the Atturos (as well as the OEM summer tires that were previously on my car) so I'm willing to make the effort. But I also understand why many choose to run A/S tires instead.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m running the Atturos based on my experience with them when I had my JGC SrRT8. These tires are perfect for my use. Daily driver with potential for inclement conditions. I’ve never not get to an appt; never not gotten to the office. Extremely pleased. My experience. YMMV.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Nice to hear DNR! So you had Atturo's on you Grand Cherokee and now the AZ850's on your Macan?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Tires always seem to be a trade off.

One of the issues with all season tires is that you are giving up the level of handling and grip summer performance tires provide. And for many of us the unusually good handling for an SUV is one of the major reasons for choosing a Macan.

Of course it's a hassle to change tires twice a year, and lots of people will not bother. And then some of us live in areas where the warm weather season is so short summer tires are just not viable at all.

All a matter of priorities, and not all of us have the same priorities. I very much enjoy the superior warmer weather handling of the Atturos (as well as the OEM summer tires that were previously on my car) so I'm willing to make the effort. But I also understand why many choose to run A/S tires instead.
My response to your post regarding Atturos for winter use probably wasnt clear. I was trying to say based on your input with Atturos and your Grand Cherokee I won’t be running Atturos for a winter set up on my Macan - I’ll probably just leave the all seasons Pirelli Scorpions Verdes on for year around use.

I do realize that all seasons aren’t going to provide the grip / handling of a performance summer tire but my Macan is all about comfort and convenience for me.

I have a 2016 Cayman GTS for getting my sports car thrills and that’s wgere I’m not willing to accept any trade offs in tire performance.

again, thanks for your input / experience regarding the Atturos i
for winter use.

221 - 240 of 271 Posts