Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In particularly on the base. As someone mentioned even the PDK is a modified Audi unit.

So are there any mechanical (powertrain, drivetrain components) that are non-Audi but Porsche?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't want to offend anyone, but most of Porsche-Macan's, Cayenne's, and Panamera's users think they use real Porsche, but without any doubt these cars are fully Audis mechanically. In my opinion, this is nothing really bad, but it confirms that nowadays the badge on the hood is not worth as much as one might think.
Now it is better than in the past because the first Cayenne's models were a rebadged copy of the almost forgotten VW Tuareg. Anyway, let's use what we have and enjoy it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The Cayenne and VW Touareg. Same parts bin that also includes the Q7 and even the Bentley Bentayga. VW Group does a great job using this single platform. The Touareg was a great vehicle but priced similarly to Audi Q7 so it always had trouble here... people don’t want to pay that much for a VW. Diehards like me knew how good the Touareg was since it was based on its pricier cousins.

The Passat B5.5 platform was big upscale for a Passat and based on the Audi platform. The B6 Passat was no longer based on Audi and it suffered. It was the last Passat sold here until the NA-only Passat was built in Chattanooga.

Anyway, VW and Porsche go back to the beginning of the Beetle and they always had a close working relationship.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Yes and this is the heart and soul of my 2018 Macan. However I consider my Macan as a step brother to my 997.2, a full blooded Porsche.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Touareg lives!

There's nothing that can touch over 12 years in the old V10 or the V8 FSI (350hp) in towing, comfort etc. At 7,700 pounds it tows nearly double the Macan, prices for the VDub parts are half if not less than for the Audi or Porsche. It's just a shame that VDub never knew how to sell them as they were more focused on dethroning Toyota from their #1 worldwide sales dominance. They thus preferred to sell 1000 Jettas for every Touareg and then of course had no idea how to service them.

The Touaregs are still sold in China, and the rest of the world fwiw.

Lastly, compared to Porsches, the VAG-COM diagnostic tool is light years from anything available in the Porsche world for a fraction of the cost.

Currently the owner of 2 2008 Touaregs a V6 FSI (soon to be sold for the 2020 Macan S), a V8 FSI that will never be sold, and a 2015 Audi RS5 - and, of course, Olga, a 2012 5640 Gehl Turbo Diesel bobcat.

siberian

The best long distance runners et raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes and this is the heart and soul of my 2018 Macan. However I consider my Macan as a step brother to my 997.2, a full blooded Porsche.

John

Niiice! It’s the last engine Porsche actually made before moving to the Audi 4 bangers. That performance badge for the extra 40hp with “warranty” makes me contemplate a Cobb tune. Maybe a “piggyback” tune to get the extra 50+ hp...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't want to offend anyone, but most of Porsche-Macan's, Cayenne's, and Panamera's users think they use real Porsche, but without any doubt these cars are fully Audis mechanically.
When you say mechanically, do you mean the same platform? Yes, that is correct, for pre-facelift Macans, the platform is the same as Q5 though Porsche drastically changed it. The same is true for 2019/20 Macans.

Mechanically also may imply the engine, and until 2019, Macan 6 cylinder engines were all Porsche engines, not Audi, unless you are referring to 2019/20 Macans.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When you say mechanically, do you mean the same platform? Yes, that is correct, for pre-facelift Macans, the platform is the same as Q5 though Porsche drastically changed it. The same is true for 2019/20 Macans.

Mechanically also may imply the engine, and until 2019, Macan 6 cylinder engines were all Porsche engines, not Audi, unless you are referring to 2019/20 Macans.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
They are all owned by VW so whatever badge they print on the part is still a VW part.

·
Registered
829 Posts
how is the 2017 Macan PDK made by audi?

Also my Macan S engine is porsche

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Didn't quite understand your responses - what am I missing in these links that you provided?

The first one talks of Audi V6. This is not the one which was used on Macans till 2018, probably the facelift versions use this, and that what I said.

The second link is a test of Macan Turbo. Am not sure what that means with ref to my post?

·
Registered
714 Posts
The Touareg lives!

There's nothing that can touch over 12 years in the old V10 or the V8 FSI (350hp) in towing, comfort etc. At 7,700 pounds it tows nearly double the Macan, prices for the VDub parts are half if not less than for the Audi or Porsche. It's just a shame that VDub never knew how to sell them as they were more focused on dethroning Toyota from their #1 worldwide sales dominance. They thus preferred to sell 1000 Jettas for every Touareg and then of course had no idea how to service them.
I remember you from Club Touareg... I still miss my V8 FSI and my 2012 V6 TDI.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts