Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Porsche Macan 2019 two weeks ago and noticed the rear windows are darker than the passenger's.

If they were tinted, I would like to do the same for the passenger's windows to match. Do you know the % of window tints in the rear?

·
Registered
531 Posts
You just find a reputable tinting place and ask them to tint your front windows to match the OEM tint.
And I'd recommend using ceramic film.
I've heard the number 20% but it depends on a place and their films.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
For the U.S. market, the darker privacy glass is standard for the rearward windows. Many members have their front side windows tinted for a closer match to the rear. The legal tint allowed for the front side windows varies greatly from state to state.....and enforcement varies greatly within each state. So it's often a balance of getting the darkness you want, without incurring too much risk of getting ticketed and being forced to remove an overly dark tint for compliance.

If you are in Texas, I think you can go as dark as 25%, which would be a very close match to the rear. However, you may not want it that dark for night driving, so have a look at the samples at the tint shop before you decide. To my eye, anything 50% or darker will look reasonably good.....but you'd probably want something at least 35% or darker if you want a closer match to the rear windows.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i tinted the fronts with 15% huper optic black, not ceramic. from the outside, matches perfectly but when looking out from the inside there is a slight variance in shade, which is inevitable since rears are factory and the fronts now have a film applied. nothing major but if you're a stickler about it... to make it absolutely perfect your tint shop will have to tint all of your windows to make it look the same looking from the inside out. hope that makes sense. sorry, not the best photo but i attached one nonetheless.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
15%?! :eek:
In L.A.?? I thought LEOs there tend to frown on windows that dark.

Looks good though. If you can see out of them at night. :nerd:
i was initially worried, too, but i've sat right next to CHP and police in traffic a handful of times now and have been good to go. knock on wood. a little dark at night but you get used to it. i also have the 11-99 lic plate frame, which has gotten me out of trouble quite a few times w/ my previous cars. :)

Reactions: jsind17
1 - 6 of 6 Posts