Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
can you be more specific? More comfortable ride? Stickier? Better steering response? Better steering feel?
All of the above except more comfortable, although very close to the AS Pirellis in comfort. Steering feels lighter and quicker to respond to steering input. Tires feel more confident, more grip during cornering. Low noise. I've only got a 100 miles of reflection on the tires.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
No doubt that summer tires will perform better. However, given that I have almost 40,000 miles on my original Michelin AS tires on my turbo, I will be replacing them again with Latitude AS rubber. And my braking and handling has been outstanding.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
258 Posts
One thing no one has commented on is that the outside diameter of your tire will not change between 18" and 21". The size of the rim increases, but the amount of rubber between the rim & road decreases as your wheel size increases.
The difference in handling is tread based and flex in the sidewall.
The less sidewall, the less flex.
It really comes down to how you drive the vehicle ( sounds like you are spirited) and do you want to swap tires 2x year.
I've only had my macan about 2 weeks, but am totally happy with the 18" AS Pirelli's.
I push it, but nor crazy. No track days for me as those are in my past now.

I've had other cars in the past with summer and either A/S/Winters as the second set. Yes, Summers offer a more sporty grippy feel, but for my driving ( still spirited but not crazy spirited), AS ended up being my choice of tires. With all the rain here ( similar to Oregon), the AS just made more sense overall.

I found the summer tires to wear out way faster than AS. Might be because I pushed them harder, but they are softer in general.

We just planned our road trip (Vancouver to LA & Back) and am looking forward to see how the AS perform on the US highways and the Coast Highway. Pretty sure the tires will exceed our requirements.

If you are tracking it, or really pushing the corners, Summers are the way to go.

One of my cars that had the summer/winter combo was a 2009 BMW 135 with a Dinan tune. Only had 18" on it and my tire guy talked me out of going with 20" on it. We took that on a similar road trip and on the Coast Highway/Redwood forest section we pushed the car hard on the twisties ( just a tad beyond my comfort level), and the Summers held really well.
The following year we took the BMW 128 Cab with 18" AS, and pushed it just as hard on in the same sections, and I was fine. The tires will hold well beyond my comfort level.
This isn't tracking it, but real life driving.

One other factor for us on tire selection is, we drive north a few times a year and the roads came be covered in snow at times, and the AS have never let us down.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My short 2 cents:

People always talk about the difference between summer ad winter tires and how better, good or bad the handling is!!

I think it depends on how you plan on driving your car!

If you're the type to take it easy, drive slow, safe, take curves slowly and all, pick all season tires, because it won't make a difference, but if you plan on pushing your car to the limit, then you'll need a better handling summer tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, I don't want to throw a wrench in this discussion but, to my mind, the gnarliest winter Bridgestone Blizzak tire on a Macan is/would be the safest, most secure, best stopping tire there is, winter or summer.

I'm blown away by this discussion.

I guess on a perfectly dry flat road, an Indy 500 tire--no tread-- would stop better, but if your road has gravel, rain, is lumpy or whatever I drive on, then I feel better on my Blizzaks in July. I'm talking about stopping!

As far as "performance," they seem fine on my X5.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Over 300 miles today, 9 hrs., driving the best of the Ozark Mountain highways. Right before my trip switched out my tires to the Michelin Latiture HPs from all season tires. Wow! What an incredible rollar coaster as I've never experienced before, it never stoped. I'm still dizzy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in SoCal and am most likely keeping my all seasons. The main factor is just treadlife. My 2007 BMW 328i had summer tires and I got at most 12k miles on the rears. My 2010 Audi A4 had all seasons and I still wasn't at the wear bars when I traded the car in with 50k miles. If I had a dedicated fun car that I wasn't putting 12k miles a year I'd definitely get summers on it, but as a daily driver I'll probably stick with the all seasons.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just had Michelin PS4 SUV fitted on my 20" rims and yes indeed that make a huge difference. The Michelin Latitude Tour HPs were definitely dynamite; however, PS4s blow them away!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Paging Fast Eddie, our resident tire engineer, for his comments on this subject...

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
Those tires are not N0 rated.

·
Premium Member
6,039 Posts
I am just stating the fact. Actually I am all for the Atturo tires for Macan.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Paging Fast Eddie, our resident tire engineer, for his comments on this subject...
The PS4s are not available in the Macan 20 inch sizes. Michelin only has the “PS4 SUV” in the correct sizing.
I do not have any specific knowledge of these tyres and have not examined them. However, they are different for sure - the most obvious giveaway is that the tread pattern design on the SUV has a greater wet grip emphasis (at a cost of lesser handling) - refer to the additional “sipes” in the tread blocks of the SUV tyre in the images below (these are the additional narrow grooves in the tread blocks that are not in the PS4s). This alone indicates that the tyre engineer is looking to achieve something quite different in the SUV designated tyres and is willing to sacrifice handling in order to achieve it - the addition of the sipes weakens the tread blocks leading to greater “tread shuffle” which means amongst other things less direct steering and lower ultimate grip levels.
I suspect Michelin is looking for the halo effect of the PS4 hype, but are noting that it is not the same tyre by designating it as “SUV”.
Michelin’s marketing for the two tyres also has a completely different focus, with a lesser emphasis on handling and more on other parameters……….such as ”SUV-dedicated robustness”.

The bottom line is that the two versions of the PS4 are definitely not the same tyres and the PS4 SUV version will not have the handling ability of the PS4s. However that does not mean that the tyre is not better handling than the Latitude as has been noted.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those pilot sport 4 SUV look nice..any reason you went with the suv version vs the standard PS4S?
Like Fast Eddie (thanks for the info, BTW) mentioned because of the sizing match up for the 20" Rims I have on my 2015 Macan S. When I bought the Macan several months ago, I bought two new rear Latitudes for it, to get me through the rest of winter. Now that its getting a lot warmer here, I live in the Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains, I figured I would try a summer tire and the PS4 SUV were available on tirerack, they were not an option like 6 months ago. Immediately after I drove out of the tire shop, I noticed a huge difference in turn in response and stiffness, which I like. I have already put about 700 miles on them and they are GREAT. I have my Macan lowered w/H&R Springs & she is equipped w/PASM, PTV Plus, and Sport Chrono from the factory. Other mods are EVOMS Diverter Valves, Flat 6 Intakes/Filters, and Cobb Stage 1+ Tune

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The PS4s are not available in the Macan 20 inch sizes. Michelin only has the “PS4 SUV” in the correct sizing.
I do not have any specific knowledge of these tyres and have not examined them. However, they are different for sure - the most obvious giveaway is that the tread pattern design on the SUV has a greater wet grip emphasis (at a cost of lesser handling) - refer to the additional “sipes” in the tread blocks of the SUV tyre in the images below (these are the additional narrow grooves in the tread blocks that are not in the PS4s). This alone indicates that the tyre engineer is looking to achieve something quite different in the SUV designated tyres and is willing to sacrifice handling in order to achieve it - the addition of the sipes weakens the tread blocks leading to greater “tread shuffle” which means amongst other things less direct steering and lower ultimate grip levels.
I suspect Michelin is looking for the halo effect of the PS4 hype, but are noting that it is not the same tyre by designating it as “SUV”.
Michelin’s marketing for the two tyres also has a completely different focus, with a lesser emphasis on handling and more on other parameters……….such as ”SUV-dedicated robustness”.

The bottom line is that the two versions of the PS4 are definitely not the same tyres and the PS4 SUV version will not have the handling ability of the PS4s. However that does not mean that the tyre is not better handling than the Latitude as has been noted.

Hope this helps.
Wow! I kneel before you oh great observer. Thanks for your viewpoint. I learn a lot from this forum and this is why it is so great.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts