Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There's absolutely a significant difference in handling and steering feel and turn in - So much to the point that I'm confident an average driver would notice.
No doubt you are going to notice the difference more on a good handling vehicle versus a mediocre handling vehicle, but despite it's weight, I've never heard anyone say the Macan is not a good handling vehicle.
This gets to the heart of my question. If even an average driver will notice, then the difference between All Season and Summer tires must be significant. For someone like myself who wants to sharpen the steering feel without a compromise in ride quality this looks like the way to go

In Florida the only tires our cars get is summer tires .

My favorite summer tire for the Macan is the Michelin Lattitude.
He and i both do love the Michelin !!
This is the particular tire that I am most interested in. Numerous times I have seen a true improvement in vehicle handling when switching from brand X to a Michelin tire.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
This gets to the heart of my question. If even an average driver will notice, then the difference between All Season and Summer tires must be significant. For someone like myself who wants to sharpen the steering feel without a compromise in ride quality this looks like the way to go

This is the particular tire that I am most interested in. Numerous times I have seen a true improvement in vehicle handling when switching from brand X to a Michelin tire.
Actually where you quoted me I was comparing my summer and winter tires. Only recently has any tire manufacturer started offering all seasons in the OEM 21 inch sizes. In my experience you will generally find a larger difference in steering feel between summer and winter tires versus summer and all season tires. Not really surprising.

No matter which way you go (summer or all season) there are definitely noticeable differences in steering feel from tire model to tire model, including sometimes between two different models made by the same manufacturer.

Too bad Michelin does not make their Super Sport (summer) tires to fit the Macan. They are a great combination of steering feel and grip and at the same time a comfortable ride and not a crazy price.

·
Registered
961 Posts
tires are the #1 most important part in the car's suspension. changing to a stickier summer tire will make the biggest difference in terms of sporty handling. Then theres the grey area, the performance all seasons: things such as the continental DWS, which I personally feel would be a great tradeoff to get the all-weather handling with the AWD of the macan and the performance in the summer.

I had summer tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A & Hankook ventus V12 evo on my RWD genesis coupe and they were useless and downright dangerous with more than half an inch of snow on the ground.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This was posted previously on the forum, but helped set my mind at ease choosing AS vs Summer (we do have a bit of winter and cold here but not enough for true winter tires, so I tried to balance performance vs two sets of tires/storage, etc). @TheBrit is correct that the only really glaring difference in performance was breaking distance, but not by incredible amounts.

2017 Porsche Macan GTS First Test Review - Motor Trend

·
Registered
895 Posts
Any day my Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires will arrive. I'm replacing my Pirelli All Season Scorpions that are still at 70% tire life. I live in New Orleans so I can run summer tires all year round. I'm a Costco member and I purchased them through Costco which beat all other online sellers for price. They have what appears to be an excellent service garage in my city and smart personel. Also includes a life time nitrogen fill and free road hazard protection. The Michelins are an exact size for my Macan Turbo with 20" rims.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I traded a Macan Turbo with 19" AS tires that I did 9k spirited miles on. It handled very well. The new turbo has 21" summer rubber. We drove straight to the Cherahola Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon. Granted, the new Turbo had torque vectoring which I'm sure helped, but the stick, the responsiveness on the Dragon (319 sharp turns in about 11 miles) was indescribable.

So yes, if you can afford it, if you don't mind the changeover in winter, summer rubber will give you the absolute most bang for the buck handling improvement that can be wrought.

If you drive like an old lady (like I do now 95 percent of the time in my new ride), don't bother.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I have had very good experiences buying tires at Costco, but their selection is sometimes very limited.
Costco is great, but any tire 18" and above the chances of Costco stocking or even being able to order is slim to none.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Actually I was at one in New Jersey the other day looking for tires for another vehicle, and for the Macan in the 19 inch size they had four different Bridgestone models and three different Michelin models, and in the 20 inch size they had two different Michelin model. But nothing to fit the 21 inch sizes.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I neglected to mention that none of these tires were in stock, and they said it would take a few days to get any of them.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Living in MN for the last 15 years I never had a chance to try summer tires. :( Weather here is so unpredictable that it is not worth my time in dealing with summer tires. Two weeks ago we were in the low 90's here but after that it has been in the low 50's so I don't want to have to check the temperature outside before deciding which car I will drive based on the tires I have. My Macan came with A/S 20" Michelin Latitude and they are by far he best tires I ever had in any car. No road noise, amazing grip and handling. For the winter I have a set of 18" Conti Contact and the performance of the car is night and day when you go from 20" A/S to 18" winter tires.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This was posted previously on the forum, but helped set my mind at ease choosing AS vs Summer (we do have a bit of winter and cold here but not enough for true winter tires, so I tried to balance performance vs two sets of tires/storage, etc). @TheBrit is correct that the only really glaring difference in performance was breaking distance, but not by incredible amounts.

2017 Porsche Macan GTS First Test Review - Motor Trend
Good article showing AS vs Summer tires. The numbers are not greatly different but do add up over time for example fuel economy. A bit better performance is great. I also gather that the steering feel will be more direct. Hard to find the right words to describe "tighter steering feel" but I suppose my meaning is clear.

I'm a bit embarrassed to reveal that I ordered my Macan S with 18" wheels. It has the Michelin Latitude AS tires. I had my reasons for doing so (ride comfort, noise issues). I was afraid of repeating buying a new BMW M3 then hating the ride and selling within one year, then doing the same thing with an Audi S4. Now that I understand my car much more I see that I over-reacted to comfort issues and will be fine with a larger diameter wheel.

I am searching options for 19 inch wheels. When I looked at HRE the pricing was too much. Porsche OEM wheels look like a bargain in comparison.

I know many will see 18 or 19 as way too small. Even with what I have now, 18" with AS tires, I have exclaimed " THIS THING CAN TURN SQUARE CORNERS". It's the feel of the wheel where I have begun slowly to get acquainted and now feel ready to dial in my preferences.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've never had the chance to try summer tires either. It was 27F at my house last night and I was driving on snow going over Loveland Pass on Monday. I just changed over to my Michelin Latitude all season last week and it's always an amazing difference how well they drive compared to the winters.

The day I changed my tires over we had a big hail storm in the western areas of Denver, the most damaging in cost ever, 1.4 billion. Anyway I thought for sure mine was trashed, but it was one of only five in a bay at the time. Lots of nice cars damaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know many will see 18 or 19 as way too small. Even with what I have now, 18" with AS tires, I have exclaimed " THIS THING CAN TURN SQUARE CORNERS". It's the feel of the wheel where I have begun slowly to get acquainted and now feel ready to dial in my preferences.
IIRC - Formula 1 cars have 13 inch wheels. Like they say, it's not the size, but... :)

I'm also looking for a set of 19's (for either AS or Summer... following this debate closely). Then I'll use the 18's for winter tires.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The day I changed my tires over we had a big hail storm in the western areas of Denver, the most damaging in cost ever, 1.4 billion. Anyway I thought for sure mine was trashed, but it was one of only five in a bay at the time. Lots of nice cars damaged.
Wow, I saw that the roof and skylights at Colorado Mills were pretty much destroyed.

Guess you have to take the bad with the good...I see A basin is still going strong :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wow, I saw that the roof and skylights at Colorado Mills were pretty much destroyed.

Guess you have to take the bad with the good...I see A basin is still going strong :)
Yes, A Basin has been really good, two feet of new snow Friday.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Any day my Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires will arrive. I'm replacing my Pirelli All Season Scorpions that are still at 70% tire life. I live in New Orleans so I can run summer tires all year round. I'm a Costco member and I purchased them through Costco which beat all other online sellers for price. They have what appears to be an excellent service garage in my city and smart personel. Also includes a life time nitrogen fill and free road hazard protection. The Michelins are an exact size for my Macan Turbo with 20" rims.
Just drove the first hundred miles on the new Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires. A fantastic improvement over the All Season Pirelli Scorpions. Like going from hiking boots to running shoes.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Just drove the first hundred miles on the new Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tires. A fantastic improvement over the All Season Pirelli Scorpions. Like going from hiking boots to running shoes.
can you be more specific? More comfortable ride? Stickier? Better steering response? Better steering feel?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts