Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent posts on Summer Tires in Portland Oregon has raised my curiosity. I have concluded for myself that Summer tires would be useful for 6 months of seasonal usage. Two of those would be borderline sub-optimal temperature ranges of 45-60 degrees and four months in the optimal design temperatures for such tires. Having only used All Season tires I do not have a baseline for making comparisons between the two tire types.

Can anyone illustrate the advantages of a Summer tire other than stating better wet traction and better dry grip? One can't really argue against better grip but question whether it is important for ordinary non-track driving. Even with All Seasons and rather Fat tires I don't notice any sliding or squirming on a few quick turns now and then. Of course I am still testing the waters as to how hard I can push it laterally and still remain on course.

I wonder though, will the steering feel change between tire types? This may be hard to correctly evaluate if one uses 18 inch Winters then switches to 21 in Summers. The best comparison would be with equal wheel diameters.

I'm on the fence over this one. Stick with what I have or get an second set of wheels and tires. How has your mileage and smileage been?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
just think about it, it is a 2 tonne truck not a 911
There's absolutely a significant difference in handling and steering feel and turn in between my 21 inch summer Contis and 21 inch Pirelli winter tires. Just as much of a difference as between the Michelin summer and winter tires on our M235. So much to the point that I'm confident an average driver would notice.

No doubt you are going to notice the difference more on a good handling vehicle versus a mediocre handling vehicle, but despite it's weight, I've never heard anyone say the Macan is not a good handling vehicle.

·
Registered
608 Posts
That's a good question. Currently I have 21" summers and 19" winters on separate rims. Now that 21" all seasons are available, it's tempting, esp considering the better wear vs the summers.

One thing you may want to do is drive the summers and A/S back to back at a dealer - even if the A/S car has 20's.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wonder about this too. One thing I don't like about the all seasons is they squeal going around a corner in a spirited manor which draws unwanted attention. Maybe the summers would be less likely to do this? Or maybe this is just what happens when you push the limits of physics with a 2 ton vehicle that can be driven like a sports car.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
Summer tires never squealed on me on the street. A/S tires is a completely different story.

However, Macan is AWD so I am not sure how much it sqeals on A/S tires.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The OP did not mention what size wheels he/she has, so we don't know what the choices are.

If the Macan is not being pushed it all, it's possible that a good all season tire might fit the bill.

The best all season tires seem to be getting better and better. I would suggest checking out the Michelin pilot sport a/S3 plus and the continental extreme contact DWS 06.

Sure, in general a summer tire is going to out handle an all season tire on a 70° day, but there are great summer tires, and not so great summer tires, too.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Can I suggest something to those of you considering AS tyres?

Do your research into stopping distances ...... Summer v All Season.

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
In Florida the only tires our cars get is summer tires . I would never drive with them up north into the cold or snow but have driven with them in the coldest cold snap (30's and 40's at night). Those temps are brief though.
If i lived in a cold place I'd have to get two sets of wheels and tires .

Summer tires do wear out quickly . On a Macan I am averaging 14K miles or so. The Boxster got 15K . A 911 gets 8-10 on the rears and two to three sets of rears to every front.
The grip is amazing .

My favorite summer tire for the Macan is the Michelin Lattitude. My Macan cars have usually come with Conti . My Boxster came with Pirelli and my current 911 as well. They all handle well but each wear out differently and for some reason the Conti's seem to pick up nails quite easy . My service advisor jokes with me about it saying "don;t blame the tire" before handing me the bill to replace those Conti's.
He and i both do love the Michelin !!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Can I suggest something to those of you considering AS tyres?

Do your research into stopping distances ...... Summer v All Season.
Where would you get this information? I do see that Consumer Reports gave the two all season tires I mentioned above the same dry braking and wet braking scores as their top rated ultra high-performance summer tire, the Michelin super sport, which happens to be a tire that I think is terrific.

Again, I'm not suggesting that the typical all season tire is going to outperform a typical summer tire at 70°, but at 40° the results might be very close.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I would also add that the "summer" tires on our X5 are the DWS's. Pretty impressed. Would have tried the Super Sports but they don't make them in the correct sizes. I'm also a big fan of the Super Sports...have them on our SLK55, M235, and 996.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Recent posts on Summer Tires in Portland Oregon has raised my curiosity. I have concluded for myself that Summer tires would be useful for 6 months of seasonal usage. Two of those would be borderline sub-optimal temperature ranges of 45-60 degrees and four months in the optimal design temperatures for such tires. Having only used All Season tires I do not have a baseline for making comparisons between the two tire types.

Can anyone illustrate the advantages of a Summer tire other than stating better wet traction and better dry grip? One can't really argue against better grip but question whether it is important for ordinary non-track driving. Even with All Seasons and rather Fat tires I don't notice any sliding or squirming on a few quick turns now and then. Of course I am still testing the waters as to how hard I can push it laterally and still remain on course.

I wonder though, will the steering feel change between tire types? This may be hard to correctly evaluate if one uses 18 inch Winters then switches to 21 in Summers. The best comparison would be with equal wheel diameters.

I'm on the fence over this one. Stick with what I have or get an second set of wheels and tires. How has your mileage and smileage been?
The biggest reason I opt for summer tires is shorter braking distance. Having two sets of wheels costs more but since the wear is split between the two sets of tires, your really not spending that much more on tires.

I look forward to the day I switch back to summer tires like it's Christmas. They're awesome. My one caution is that I do think they're louder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
stopping distance is more about the driver's reaction speed, as all Porsches will stop in half the time it take to get to the speed at hard acceleration irrespective of tyres .

·
Registered
963 Posts
stopping distance is more about the driver's reaction speed, as all Porsches will stop in half the time it take to get to the speed at hard acceleration irrespective of tyres .
There are some differences from tire to tire, but generally the differences are not that substantial. On the other hand, if one tire can stop you 10 feet faster than another, and that 10 feet makes you avoid hitting something, then I guess it is substantial.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts