Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I read here that the calipers are the same on Macan S, GTS, and Turbo and the only differences are the rotors, with the GTS having larger fronts and Turbo with bigger front and rear, and color. Is this true and does it also mean that the pads are the same? I am looking into track pads and there are 2 websites advertising Ferodo DS2500 for Turbo, but not S. I am skeptical that these pads are available, however. topbrakes.com and bestbrakes.com look like they may be the same company and I can't even find the Turbo application in the Ferodo Racing parts catalog. I sent a message to both websites asking for the part number.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Even if the calipers were the same, I can't imagine the front pads being the same between the S and the GTS/Turbo. The pads for the GTS/Turbo should have more pad area to take advantage of the larger rotor diameter. Looking at the parts catalog, there are separate pad part numbers for the various models.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh yeah, duh. Larger rotors would be pretty useless without larger pads. I will probably just try EBC Yellowstuff with high temp fluid. Too bad there aren't more performance options for these cars, but I guess the demand isn't there.
FYI. Tried EBC Redstuff & Yellowstuff on Corvettes... pass for a few reasons. Look into Posi-Quite brake pads. Good performance, minimal break dust, no sweaking sound, long lasting. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Having just put Hawks ceramic pads on my new Turbo I can say with complete certainty that the Turbo and GTS have the same front calipers/ pads and are larger than the S.
The rear pads on the Turbo seem to be unique to that model.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The GTS and the Turbo share the same front calipers & rotors...which are larger than the S.

The GTS and the S share the same rear calipers & rotors...which are smaller than the Turbo.

Reactions: big_nick and jzwu

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI. Tried EBC Redstuff & Yellowstuff on Corvettes... pass for a few reasons. Look into Posi-Quite brake pads. Good performance, minimal break dust, no sweaking sound, long lasting. Hope this helps.
I like Posi-quiet pads for street, but will they handle track duty? I would be shocked.

So Ferodo Racing confirmed that DS2500 is available for Macan Turbo. They just have not added Macan to their parts catalog:

We checked and we confirm that some of the Macan models use the following pads :

Front FCP4064

https://ecat.ferodoracing.com/index.php/car-racing/brake-pads/FCP4064#detail

Rear FCP4050

https://ecat.ferodoracing.com/index.php/car-racing/brake-pads/FCP4050#detail

There are a few caliper options for each model so please check the above pads are the correct ones for your car before making a purchase.

We will update our catalogue with this information.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The GTS and the Turbo share the same front calipers & rotors...which are larger than the S.

The GTS and the S share the same rear calipers & rotors...which are smaller than the Turbo.
Thanks! How about the Base vs. the S? For the 2016 model?

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
ericsan13: Are you inquiring about calipers or pads? Which model do you own? Are you asking from
general curiosity? Looking to purchase?

You seem to own a 50K+ mile Macan. That would most likely be a 2015 or 2016 model.

Surely searching for a few minutes for yourself - online - would provide an answer.

Do caliper or pad size differences between a Base and an S really matter that much?

BTW - if you checked - and you seem to be in the US - there was no 2016 Base model - S and Turbo only!

·
Registered
32 Posts
ericsan13: Are you inquiring about calipers or pads? Which model do you own? Are you asking from
general curiosity? Looking to purchase?

You seem to own a 50K+ mile Macan. That would most likely be a 2015 or 2016 model.

Surely searching for a few minutes for yourself - online - would provide an answer.

Do caliper or pad size differences between a Base and an S really matter that much?

BTW - if you checked - and you seem to be in the US - there was no 2016 Base model - S and Turbo only!
Thanks for replying. I am in the US and own a 2016 Macan S and I am asking because I want to have the Powerstop Z23 front and rear kit installed.

I did search the forums and googled for literally hours and was not able to find an answer on whether this kit would work for my car.

Regarding S vs Base, the confusion stems from this page:

As you can see, the K7950 says it fits the Base (which does not exist). I am new to Porsche and it seems like they vary their offerings a lot more year-by-year! Only experts like you would know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Thanks! How about the Base vs. the S? For the 2016 model?
....I am in the US and own a 2016 Macan S and I am asking because I want to have the Powerstop Z23 front and rear kit installed......
Sorry to report the Powerstop Z23 will not work on your Macan S. They are only offered for the Base model Macan (4-cylinder 2.0 engine), which has smaller rotors than the S.

If you are looking for drilled or slotted rotors for your Macan S, try StopTech brakes, which you can find at TireRack.com. Please report back if you have them installed. (y)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to report the Powerstop Z23 will not work on your Macan S. They are only offered for the Base model Macan (4-cylinder 2.0 engine), which has smaller rotors than the S.
Thanks, I will check out Stoptech. Although [email protected]>@W commented that there is no base model 2016. Can you please comment on this?

I am looking for ceramic brakes because the brake dust is driving me crazy.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
[email protected]>@W commented that there is no base model 2016. Can you please comment on this?

I am looking for ceramic brakes because the brake dust is driving me crazy.
The Base model was not offered for sale in North American until the 2017 model year. However, for most of the remaining world, the Base model was available starting with the 2015 model year.

There are not a lot of choices for ceramic brake pads. However, an earlier thread I found on the topic (see first link below), indicates that PowerStop Z23 ceramic pads are available for other Macan models.

I checked the PowerStop website, and they show Z23 front and rear pads for the 2016 Macan S......but the kit including rotors is only available for the rear. So, I suggest you try ordering front and rear pads through their website link to one of their suppliers, and plan on buying rotors from another supplier. I'll include a link for PowerStop as well, but if the vehicle specific information doesn't carryover, you'll have to type it in, starting with the model year.

BTW....if the rotors currently on the car have only seen one set of pads, then you can likely install new pads without changing the rotors.....as rotors are generally good for two sets of pads before reaching minimum thickness.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted. (y)

Macan Turbo Front Brake Pad Shape - Possible New Ceramic...

Brake Upgrade Kits - All Products | Power Stop Brakes

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Base model was not offered for sale in North American until the 2017 model year. However, for most of the remaining world, the Base model was available starting with the 2015 model year.

There are not a lot of choices for ceramic brake pads. However, an earlier thread I found on the topic (see first link below), indicates that PowerStop Z23 ceramic pads are available for other Macan models.
Thank! That makes a lot of sense.

BTW....if the rotors currently on the car have only seen one set of pads, then you can likely install new pads without changing the rotors.....as rotors are generally good for two sets of pads before reaching minimum thickness.
Thanks - this car was preowned and I do not know the state of the rotors. Hence prefer to get something a little more premium to attempt to offset the potential performance loss with ceramic pads.

For rotors, here is what I'm thinking:

Front Left (350mm) - Centric High Carbon Rotors 125.37104
Front Right (350mm) - Centric High Carbon Rotors 125.37105
Rear Rotors (330mm) - Centric High Carbon Rotors 125.33137

For pads, I must not be very smart because I can't figure this out. Per this thread, Macan S rotors are 350mm front and 330mm rear.

For the front pads, I believe this might work: Posi-Quiet Ceramic 105.13490. However check out the description from APC:

Is this for Turbo? Or is the 350mm right?

For the rear pads, I believe this might work: Posi-Quiet Ceramic 105.15470. However, this is the description from APC:
Confusing right? CARiD is even more confusing:
Would be great if someone already went through this could help out. I will also contact APC however it'd be great if someone could confirm the rotor size for the 2016 Macan S.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
....it'd be great if someone could confirm the rotor size for the 2016 Macan S.
The earlier thread you referenced for rotor sizes is correct.

For a 2016 Macan S, the rotor sizes are:
Front: 350 x 34 mm
Rear: 330 x 22 mm

For a 2016 Turbo, the rotor sizes are:
Front: 360 x 36 mm
Rear: 356 x 28 mm

I concur that navigating the various websites for pads and rotors can be confusing, as there is often inconsistent information listed. My only recommendation is to purchase from a vendor that has a good return policy.

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
32 Posts
The earlier thread you referenced for rotor sizes is correct.

For a 2016 Macan S, the rotor sizes are:
Front: 350 x 34 mm
Rear: 330 x 22 mm

For a 2016 Turbo, the rotor sizes are:
Front: 360 x 36 mm
Rear: 356 x 28 mm

I concur that navigating the various websites for pads and rotors can be confusing, as there is often inconsistent information listed. My only recommendation is to purchase from a vendor that has a good return policy.
Thanks - I sent APC an email. My local indy only carries Brembo and Akebono. My usual brake shop allows me to bring the brakes to them, but I'll see if they carry Centric too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another update: spoke with Centric and they do not make centric rotors or posi-quiet ceramic pads for the Macan S front brakes. They only make front parts for the base Macan.

Reaching a dead end. Any other options for 350mm front rotors and ceramic pads? Nothing on Rockauto either.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
....Reaching a dead end. Any other options for 350mm front rotors and ceramic pads?....
In that case, maybe use OEM rotors and the Powerstop ceramic pads.

Reactions: ericsan13

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
Thanks - this car was preowned and I do not know the state of the rotors. Hence prefer to get something a little more premium to attempt to offset the potential performance loss with ceramic pads.

It's very easy to check the state of the rotors - look for any cracks - likely there are none. Next check the thickness
of the lip at the edge of the rotor. That will give you an idea of how much wear there is on the rotor. The edge is not worn
since the pads do not go all the way to the edge of the rotor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's very easy to check the state of the rotors - look for any cracks - likely there are none. Next check the thickness
of the lip at the edge of the rotor. That will give you an idea of how much wear there is on the rotor. The edge is not worn
since the pads do not go all the way to the edge of the rotor.
The rotors look like they have less than 1mm indentation from the lip to the main area. Do you know how much mm would be considered a worn rotor?

Also, do you think it's fine to change the pads without resurfacing the rotor?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts