Porsche Macan Forum banner

APR Tunes Thread

21K views 47 replies 26 participants last post by  Noah Fect 
#1 ·
I have a 2019 Macan 2.0. has anyone has a APR Plus tune performed?

#2 ·
Has anyone done a APR stage one tune on a Macan base? Thoughts/issues? Mines a 2021 so I’m a little concerned about having issues and warranty not covering it, although APR offers a backup warranty. Also thought about the turbo muffler delete but can’t find many people who have done it.

#3 ·
If I had purchased new, I probably would spring for the APR Plus deal with their warranty guarantee. Before you look at the turbo muffler delete, do an intake/filter first. It really makes the intake and turbo spool much louder.

#5 ·
I went with the Flat 6 Motorsports intake/filter. The sounds is very loud now compared to stock, and probably louder with the increased boost pressure from the APR tune.

My First Macan Mod - Flat 6 Motorsports Intake System

#8 ·
Hello there,

I'm new her and this is my first post.

I had read multiple post here on this subject but I couldn't find one for this particular model.

I have a 2018 base Macan and I'm looking to see if someone has a similar vehicle (Base Macan 4 cyl), and has had installed (specifically) the APR ICU upgrade? Or in any case another branded ICU / HP upgrade on this particular model.

I would like to know your opinion on the difference of power development in general, particularly in the take off delay and mid range passing / overtaking power.

I'm very happy with the take off power in general for other than the turbo delay which it truly is very disappointing. It's just way too long of a delay and I would even say unsafe on an emergency get out of the way sore of situation, it truly takes a second or so to take off. But I can live with that.

I'm mainly looking for information on the mid range passing / over taking power.
I truly like the car and I'm hoping with this upgrade I will get the extra HP needed on the mid range.

Thank you all and Happy New year.

MC

#9 ·
It's called an ECU as in "electronic control unit", not ICU. Searching by the correct term of "ECU tune" should help you find results.

Reactions: Audiodruman
#11 ·
An engine replacement on the Macan costs $50k+. The Base model may be cheaper.

Reactions: Audiodruman
#12 ·
I’d be very careful trusting any ECU upgrade manufacturers (including APR) to reimburse you for repairs. I bought a 2017 VW Golf R from an APR registered dealer with around 15k miles on it. I drove it 1,200 miles before the engine imploded. APR said sorry. Dealer said sorry. Thanks guys. I flatbedded it to three different VW dealers before I found one (Omeara Denver) willing to fight for me. Eventually got it covered by VW warranty (just under $20,000 with new motor) because they claimed an oil pump failure.

If you flash the ECU while under warranty, be very prepared that there’s a high likelihood of paying for any damage yourself, or at the very best case scenario, you’ll have a giant pain in the arse and a large amount of time committed to fighting for your case.

#13 ·
APR is usually the gold standard for tunes to compare to. I notice they offer APR+ for the Macan - with APR+ the powertrain is covered by APR for the duration of original factory warranty. APR+ tunes are CARB approved so are "legal" in CA.
This is a good tune for people who want a "set and forget" OEM+ tune. Obviously the fact you can't flash at home (like Cobb) means a lack of flexibility and so isn't a good choice for people who like to play with their tunes.
People like to start 'tuner wars' but it's always a matter of personal preference. I've been down the tuning rabbit hole on other cars and a nice Stg1 is all I need now.

#15 ·
Sounds almost too good to be true. Their page says Direct OBDII port flash (No ECU removal)....?
I think it still may require removal of the ECU.
At the bottom their page:

Purchasing, Guarantee, and Updates
How to Purchase - APR Software Upgrades are available through Authorized APR dealers. The dealer will connect to your vehicle, and install the update.¹ Alternatively you can mail your ECU to APR*. Fill out this form. Use this guide to remove your ECU. Mail your ECU to to APR, 4800 U.S. Hwy 280 W, Opelika, AL 36801, USA, and include the last 6 of your VIN on the outside of the box.

Money-Back Guarantee - Try our Software Upgrades for up to 30 days, risk free! If you are not satisfied, return to an APR Dealer to have it removed and refunded.²

Free Updates - If we make an update, add a standard feature, or if the manufacturer issues an update, you are entitled to a free update.³

1. APR Software may not be available for all vehicles. Stages, programs, and features may not be available for all ECUs.
2. Excludes some Software Upgrades, such as those included with a hardware purchase. Labor charges are at the discretion of the installer.
3. Subject to availability. Labor charges are at the discretion of the installer. Applicable to the original purchaser. Second hand owners may inquire with an APR Dealer about a software license transfer fee.
*. Excludes APR Plus.

#16 ·
This is strictly a connection to your OBD port. No need to remove the ECU. You only remove it if you have to send it to someone for the programming. Most performance shops, specially the ones that work on Porsches, Audis and VWs provide this service. I found 3 shops that provide APR tunes within a 15 mile radius in my little town of Charleston, SC. They download the software directly from APR and install it to your vehicle via OBD port. I've had this done to two previous GTIs, Cayenne , Touareg, Audi SQ5 and Q7. Vehicles were completely trouble free and some even got better MPGs from the ECU tune.

#19 ·
Thanks. They have done all the ECU tunes for my VWs, Audis and Porsches. His daughter is my sons age and went to HS together. My son parked his GTI next to her Jetta GLI cause he noticed she had APR Tune stickers on her car. My son is now a senior in college in mechanical engineering and has interned at three German auto supply manufacturing plants here in SC. I promised him an Audi S3 or Golf R if he goes to college and graduates. It looks like I'll be paying the bet but its one I don't mind losing.😉

#21 ·
The option to remove and send in the ECU is primarily for those who do not have an authorized APR distributor nearby. Nearly all APR tunes are port flashed by APR distributors.

#24 ·
Took mine in last Friday but my APR dealer had a hard time installing and gave up. Said APR had not posted the correct box codes. I contacted APR and they are supposed to relay info to my APR and reschedule the install, hopefully successful this time. You might want to contact your installer to make sure they can unlock the box codes.

#25 ·
sorry, mistyped. corrected.........Took mine in last Friday but my APR dealer had a hard time installing and gave up. Said APR had not posted the correct box codes. I contacted APR and they are supposed to relay info to my dealer and reschedule the install, hopefully successful this time. You might want to contact your installer to make sure they can unlock the box codes.

#27 ·
I had a similar experience. I took my 2021 S in for a tune today and APR did not have the box code for my ecu version. A request was submitted and now I wait for a response from APR. tuning shop said it could be a few months based on experience w/ other new releases from APR. the shop won’t know if APR has your box code until they plug in, and try.

#29 ·
Well add me to the unsuccessful list. The local APR dealer checked my ECU this morning and said it was version 7 and the APR tune was for version 6. On the upside, they did say they have sent the file to APR and requested the tune to be updated. They said they'll call me to reschedule when they get the new file from APR. Guess I'll wait and see...

#30 ·
FYI--To help inform a purchase decision, I put together the following table comparing the 2.9L and 3.0L '19+ Macan engines.

3.0T EA839 (95B.2)
2.9T EA839 (9Y)
Macan Trims​
'20+ GTS/Turbo, '22+ S​
'19 - '21 S​
Bore x stroke​
84.5 x 89 (2995 CC)​
84.5 x 86 (2894 CC)​
Compression ratio​
11.2:1​
10.5:1​
Turbo layout​
Single Twin-scroll Turbo​
Twin Turbos​
Intercooler​
Air-to-air​
Water-to-air​
Boost pressure​
19 psi (2.3 Bar)​
22 psi (2.5 Bar)​
Stock output (APR measured)​
361 hp, 368 ft-lbs (Macan S)​
442 hp, 419 ft-lbs (Cayenne S)​
Tuned output (APR, 93 AKI)​
408 hp, 499 ft-lbs​
502 hp, 545 ft-lbs​
Torque a 2,000 rpm (stock)​
360 ft-lbs​
350 ft-lbs​
Sources
General engine info:

APR tunes:

#32 ·
I have a 2021 S and had the same experience, no box code for mine. It has been over a month now. I’ve had the APR products on other cars and very happy. APR teased us w/ this release, and I have only seen posts about not having the box codes instead of reports on how great it is.

#35 ·
i had the APR flash loaded this past Friday. In the shop time was less than an hour. The S runs very strong and the turbo kicks in hard when summoned. From a rolling start it hits 70mph instantly, and you are immediately up the ass of the car ahead of you. I live near too much traffic and don’t have enough straight roads around to test the limits yet. Nothing violent about the tune, and when you’re driving around under 25mpg you really can’t tell it is pumped up. My feeling is a P dealer would not notice it driving around the service lot. A dealer would only see the ecu flash count which doesn’t necessarily mean a tune was added, b/c you could have had your car serviced at multiple dealers where required software updates were done…..At my first oil change the dealer said they had to do an ecu update.

With that said, the pedal lag is still there to some degree if you have a right foot accustomed to a NA car. I have a Roar Pedal and after driving around for a day w/ the Roar off and the APR flash, I adjusted the Roar Pedal to my favorite pre-flash setting. IMO I have found the happy place for the Macan S and it is so strong and flick-able now. I can aim it and fire like a laser. I’m a happy customer with an awesome suv.