Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
APR is usually the gold standard for tunes to compare to. I notice they offer APR+ for the Macan - with APR+ the powertrain is covered by APR for the duration of original factory warranty. APR+ tunes are CARB approved so are "legal" in CA.
This is a good tune for people who want a "set and forget" OEM+ tune. Obviously the fact you can't flash at home (like Cobb) means a lack of flexibility and so isn't a good choice for people who like to play with their tunes.
People like to start 'tuner wars' but it's always a matter of personal preference. I've been down the tuning rabbit hole on other cars and a nice Stg1 is all I need now.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Sounds almost too good to be true. Their page says Direct OBDII port flash (No ECU removal)....?
I think it still may require removal of the ECU.
At the bottom their page:

Purchasing, Guarantee, and Updates
How to Purchase - APR Software Upgrades are available through Authorized APR dealers. The dealer will connect to your vehicle, and install the update.¹ Alternatively you can mail your ECU to APR*. Fill out this form. Use this guide to remove your ECU. Mail your ECU to to APR, 4800 U.S. Hwy 280 W, Opelika, AL 36801, USA, and include the last 6 of your VIN on the outside of the box.

Money-Back Guarantee - Try our Software Upgrades for up to 30 days, risk free! If you are not satisfied, return to an APR Dealer to have it removed and refunded.²

Free Updates - If we make an update, add a standard feature, or if the manufacturer issues an update, you are entitled to a free update.³

1. APR Software may not be available for all vehicles. Stages, programs, and features may not be available for all ECUs.
2. Excludes some Software Upgrades, such as those included with a hardware purchase. Labor charges are at the discretion of the installer.
3. Subject to availability. Labor charges are at the discretion of the installer. Applicable to the original purchaser. Second hand owners may inquire with an APR Dealer about a software license transfer fee.
*. Excludes APR Plus.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is strictly a connection to your OBD port. No need to remove the ECU. You only remove it if you have to send it to someone for the programming. Most performance shops, specially the ones that work on Porsches, Audis and VWs provide this service. I found 3 shops that provide APR tunes within a 15 mile radius in my little town of Charleston, SC. They download the software directly from APR and install it to your vehicle via OBD port. I've had this done to two previous GTIs, Cayenne , Touareg, Audi SQ5 and Q7. Vehicles were completely trouble free and some even got better MPGs from the ECU tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is strictly a connection to your OBD port. No need to remove the ECU. You only remove it if you have to send it to someone for the programming. Most performance shops, specially the ones that work on Porsches, Audis and VWs provide this service. I found 3 shops that provide APR tunes within a 15 mile radius in my little town of Charleston, SC. They download the software directly from APR and install it to your vehicle via OBD port. I've had this done to two previous GTIs, Cayenne , Touareg, Audi SQ5 and Q7. Vehicles were completely trouble free and some even got better MPGs from the ECU tune.
I have always used Karl and his team with Euro Road & Racing. I think his son is more in the lead now and still great reviews. It’s been a few years since I had occasion to have them wrench and tune a vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks. They have done all the ECU tunes for my VWs, Audis and Porsches. His daughter is my sons age and went to HS together. My son parked his GTI next to her Jetta GLI cause he noticed she had APR Tune stickers on her car. My son is now a senior in college in mechanical engineering and has interned at three German auto supply manufacturing plants here in SC. I promised him an Audi S3 or Golf R if he goes to college and graduates. It looks like I'll be paying the bet but its one I don't mind losing.😉

·
Registered
993 Posts
The option to remove and send in the ECU is primarily for those who do not have an authorized APR distributor nearby. Nearly all APR tunes are port flashed by APR distributors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. They have done all the ECU tunes for my VWs, Audis and Porsches. His daughter is my sons age and went to HS together. My son parked his GTI next to her Jetta GLI cause he noticed she had APR Tune stickers on her car. My son is now a senior in college in mechanical engineering and has interned at three German auto supply manufacturing plants here in SC. I promised him an Audi S3 or Golf R if he goes to college and graduates. It looks like I'll be paying the bet but its one I don't mind losing.😉
Love that story!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Took mine in last Friday but my APR dealer had a hard time installing and gave up. Said APR had not posted the correct box codes. I contacted APR and they are supposed to relay info to my APR and reschedule the install, hopefully successful this time. You might want to contact your installer to make sure they can unlock the box codes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
sorry, mistyped. corrected.........Took mine in last Friday but my APR dealer had a hard time installing and gave up. Said APR had not posted the correct box codes. I contacted APR and they are supposed to relay info to my dealer and reschedule the install, hopefully successful this time. You might want to contact your installer to make sure they can unlock the box codes.

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
63 Posts
sorry, mistyped. corrected.........Took mine in last Friday but my APR dealer had a hard time installing and gave up. Said APR had not posted the correct box codes. I contacted APR and they are supposed to relay info to my dealer and reschedule the install, hopefully successful this time. You might want to contact your installer to make sure they can unlock the box codes.
I had a similar experience. I took my 2021 S in for a tune today and APR did not have the box code for my ecu version. A request was submitted and now I wait for a response from APR. tuning shop said it could be a few months based on experience w/ other new releases from APR. the shop won’t know if APR has your box code until they plug in, and try.

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
8 Posts
Well add me to the unsuccessful list. The local APR dealer checked my ECU this morning and said it was version 7 and the APR tune was for version 6. On the upside, they did say they have sent the file to APR and requested the tune to be updated. They said they'll call me to reschedule when they get the new file from APR. Guess I'll wait and see...

·
Banned
24 Posts
FYI--To help inform a purchase decision, I put together the following table comparing the 2.9L and 3.0L '19+ Macan engines.

3.0T EA839 (95B.2)
2.9T EA839 (9Y)
Macan Trims​
'20+ GTS/Turbo, '22+ S​
'19 - '21 S​
Bore x stroke​
84.5 x 89 (2995 CC)​
84.5 x 86 (2894 CC)​
Compression ratio​
11.2:1​
10.5:1​
Turbo layout​
Single Twin-scroll Turbo​
Twin Turbos​
Intercooler​
Air-to-air​
Water-to-air​
Boost pressure​
19 psi (2.3 Bar)​
22 psi (2.5 Bar)​
Stock output (APR measured)​
361 hp, 368 ft-lbs (Macan S)​
442 hp, 419 ft-lbs (Cayenne S)​
Tuned output (APR, 93 AKI)​
408 hp, 499 ft-lbs​
502 hp, 545 ft-lbs​
Torque a 2,000 rpm (stock)​
360 ft-lbs​
350 ft-lbs​
Sources
General engine info:

APR tunes:

·
Registered
2019 Macan S
10 Posts
Went into independent shop today to get the APR stage 1 tune on my 2019 Macan S. No luck, they didn't have the box code so the shop emailed APR in hopes of installing in the future. Anyone have any luck in getting this installed on their 3.0L yet?

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
63 Posts
I have a 2021 S and had the same experience, no box code for mine. It has been over a month now. I’ve had the APR products on other cars and very happy. APR teased us w/ this release, and I have only seen posts about not having the box codes instead of reports on how great it is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts