Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan S
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on this forum. Been a Macan owner for a year now. I was looking for all the available options or I would say a better way, to connect my phone to the car. After much looking around, I came across the integration unit from JoyeAuto which was used by the YouTuber AutoAmature on his Porsche 911 991.1.
I contacted the China-based company for a better quote and got one. Contact Kaylee and give her my reference.
[email protected]
WhatsApp:+86 18018740876
I tried GTA car kits for getting the installation done on my car, but their quote was $350 CAD just for the installation. Hence the DIY..!!
I'm not going to write the complete installation here, but just the very important bits.
The link here shows an installation process on a Cayenne, done by JoyeAuto -
The steps on how to install the actual chipset into the head unit are in the video.

Important things to keep in mind -
1. The airvent removal is tricky. You need a special tool to pull the vents from inside. Dash Vent Removal Tool
But, I made my own from an old laundry hanger. You have to insert it in the vent and have to grab on to it from inside.(Check the image)
Also, once you grab the vent from inside, you need to pull it giving jerks and not try to pull it with force in one shot.

2. The Cayenne has enough space behind the head unit to tuck away the extra wiring harness. The Macan does not have it. You have to be extra diligent to push it in the space underneath the head unit. (Check the Images)

3. The plug removal for the airvents needs a bit of extra force, but don't worry, and dont be scared to do so. Just be careful and hold on to the plug and not the wires to pull.

4. If you have the optical drive, make sure you transfer it to the new harness that will be connected to the head unit.

Final setup...

The only downside, especially for the Android users is, once you are in the app, and the screen is mirrored, it shows as a vertical screen. The phone has to be in landscape mode to utilize the full screen on the head unit.

Other than this, there are no issues what so ever. It seamlessly switches to reverse camera mode when you shift into reverse. Apple carplay is available wired and wireless. Android auto is wired only. Hence the phone has to be plugged in to use it.
It was a fun DIY for me and took almost 2 hours for the complete install.

·
Registered
2015 Macan S
276 Posts
Thanks for sharing. This'll help when I do mine. Cheers

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the tuto. I'm wondering how integrated it is, regarding the sound.
My understanding is that smartphone sound comes throught the Aux input, either using a RCA-jack or a BT on jack adapter? Which means one has to first switch the sound source before switching to CarPlay/AndroidAuto?
Is there a way to listen to music through the PCM while having (navigation) sound from the smartphone?

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan S
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My understanding is that smartphone sound comes through the Aux input, either using an RCA-jack or a BT on jack adapter? Which means one has to first switch the sound source before switching to CarPlay/AndroidAuto?
Is there a way to listen to music through the PCM while having (navigation) sound from the smartphone?
A simple answer to that is Yes. To use the audio playback from your phone, you have to switch it to USB AUX. What I have been doing is, I play music from my USB (through PCM), but for everything else, I have it on Android Auto. That is for navigation, weather etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A simple answer to that is Yes. To use the audio playback from your phone, you have to switch it to USB AUX.
Ah. That's a bit annoying (unless one commit to using only the phone, I guess). It'd be nice if the kit allowed adding an extra speaker, for those using the phone only for navigation and info like weather. Or, having these sounds played on the phone would be fine.

A similar system on my Merc. GLC was sending fake screen touch to the original system to automatically change the audio source when switching between the OEM and the Android interface. Maybe that's not so easy as we have physical button instead.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
My understanding is that smartphone sound comes throught the Aux input, either using a RCA-jack or a BT on jack adapter? Which means one has to first switch the sound source before switching to CarPlay/AndroidAuto?
It seems that this topic is been repeated in multiple posts....

I also installed an aftermarket carplay solution in my 2015 Macan, and quickly realized the issue with audio quality.

This module has a direct USB connection, which I routed to my center console. After few weeks trying to tweek the audio with it, I decided not to use it as an input anymore, nor the wireless AUX input for audio, as it routes the audio through the Auxiliary input through box, and in turn, degrades audio quality. The issue with audio quality became very apparent when I started to do a speaker upgrade.

The Macan have a digital optical communication system for audio (MOST25), and is a bad idea to have any DAC in between your source and this system. To maintain the sound as pure as possible, digital signal should be maintained from source, all the way to the amplifier.

So, what I do is, I connect my phone to the PCM using the OEM USB connection that goes directly to it, to ensure the highest quality of sound by keeping the digital signal intact and I'm able to connect my phone to the carplay module wireless via WIFI, which allow me to see CarPlay in the screen. The audio digital signal never goes through the carplay module, only the information needed to project the carplay screen. The only change you'll have to make is to activate the wireless carplay in the module, and connect the phone via the USB PCM iPod input. Instead of selecting AUX in the PCM, select iPod.

There are some minor compromises by doing this. For example, once carplay is connected via wireless, some map/gps applications like Waze and Apple Maps, wants to route their audio through AUX connection, not through PCM, hence there is no audio from those applications when set to PCM. Google Maps however, have the capability to choose where do I send the audio (via AUX or PCM), and this works well when the right option is selected.

In addition, there is a connection sequence that should be followed. Once you start the car, you must allow carplay wireless to connect first (you'll see the carplay screen), then you connect the PCM USB cable, go back to the PCM screen and select iPod in the PCM and then press the NAVI button the required number of times to bring up the Carplay screen again. It may be a bit of a hassle in the beginning, but now, I do this without even thinking.

Also, you should deactivate the PCM AUX Bluetooth option, it only interferes with that carplay module operation, and always connect via PCM iPod USB to ensure best quality.

To me, this is the best compromise, as I’m not willing to degrade Music audio quality. I normally use my car to commute, and actually prefer a silent gps application. When I go somewhere else, I normally use Google Maps and have Waze running in the background.

My audio system upgrade history (including carplay) here: My 2015 Porsche Macan Audio Upgrade Log

·
Registered
830 Posts
Two questions:

1. Does carplay start when you start the car or it still goes to radio?
2. Does diamond button work to skip the track?

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan S
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two questions:

1. Does carplay start when you start the car or it still goes to radio?
2. Does diamond button work to skip the track?
1. It does, if you have set it to wireless carplay auto-connect on an iPhone. Android auto suggests that it is available to connect.
2. Yes it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the guide! I made a tool myself out of a single peg hook usually used to hold merchandise in a store. But the hook part is a bit long. Will i end up not being able to pull out the vents as I might instead hook onto parts on either side? Also, how hard did you have to jerk for this? I tried, but without success. Quite afraid of the hook slipping and I pull out the flaps inside the vent instead :p

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan S
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the guide! I made a tool myself out of a single peg hook usually used to hold merchandise in a store. But the hook part is a bit long. Will i end up not being able to pull out the vents as I might instead hook onto parts on either side? Also, how hard did you have to jerk for this? I tried, but without success. Quite afraid of the hook slipping and I pull out the flaps inside the vent instead :p
I understand your hesitation to pull a little harder. But make the hook as small as possible and do not hesitate to on the pull. You will not latch on to anything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. I ended up getting a garage to help me pull it. The guy pulled pretty **** hard. I don't have experience and i doubt i would have risked pulling that hard myself.
I ended up installing one from Taobao, the store name is Che Nong. I don't see it from quick glance on aliexpress. Anyways, they don't require a separate box to glove compartment. Just add circuit board. One less thing to worry about. So far, works as advertised! I connect with my iphone wirelessly, carplay works, can make calls, and use the steering wheel buttons to receive them. Everything else working as normal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts