Porsche Macan Forum banner

141 - 146 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The OEM 19 inch Continental ProContact TX tires are symmetric and unidirectional, no arrows on the sidewall.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Possible future Macan owner here. I’m looking at a Base plus options (including air suspension) and Volvo XC60. Not here to debate the two.

There have been a lot of comments on this thread about regular maintenance costs. I currently have a Lexus ES300h lease. First maintenance was included and I know that’s not a thing with Porsche. Oil change, in Denver, is around $110 and tire rotation is around $45. 10k miles or 12 months. It also comes back washed and I get a loaner.

Full disclosure, I haven’t googled the maintenance schedule for the Macan. Are we talking similar for the Macan?
We must be twins. Just sold my wife's 19 XC60 to Carvana, and currently have a Macan S and Lexus ES350 in our household. Since Volvo includes service for 3 years, it was actually the least to maintain. What costs $100 at the Lexus dealer will cost $400 at a Porsche one, at least in my area. Porsche does offer an included service at the year mark, so if you are leasing you really only pay for the 2 year/20,000 mile service. My Macan will be three years old on Wednesday, and has been almost flawless. Both the Porsche and Volvo will feel like an upgrade from the Lexus, although I'd place my money on the Lex outlasting both if that's your thing.

Feel free to send a message or start a new thread if you have any questions to help decide between the two vehicles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Directional tires are about better handling/performance. I haven't personally owned a higher end vehicle that didn't have them. Your questions seem to lead towards saving money, which is a great goal, but step 1 would be, don't buy a Porsche.

No matter what it's going to cost more to own and service a Porsche, even if you did everything yourself. My wife has a Lexus, parts costs aren't even close. Not trying to scare you, I love my Macan, but I think anyone who gets into one without accepting that the service costs are higher is going to be unhappy. The cost of a DIY oil change on the Macan is about what I paid a shop on my BMW, which was more than the Lexus, and it's like that across the board.

Do your research, decide if it makes sense for you. But if you are asking about going with cheaper lower performing tires so you can save money by rotating them, how are you going to feel when you have to pay $350-600 for the transmission service?
There are a lot of great asymmetric performance tires out there. One of my previous cars had michelin pilot super sport's and you could fully rotate them.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Somewhere in this tread a tire called arrton or something was mentioned. I’ve never heard of the brand. I’m looking at the base 18” rims. The sizes seems normal-ish. Am I missing something?
I think that you're referring to Atturo; see Atturo

I don't have any personal experience with them, but it's my understanding from reading the forum for three+ years that:

1) They're mostly considered an option for those with larger (e.g., 21") wheels, for which there are fewer choices out there (compared with smaller wheels), and;

2) They seem to have received very favorable reviews. See, for instance: Atturo Tires?

Nothing wrong with with the smaller rim sizes, IMO, although I'm far from an expert. I'm running 19" stock wheels on my S with all-seasons, and 18" with snow tires.

A lot of folks put more emphasis on looks, and I'd have to agree with them that the larger wheel sizes look better. (And many folks go farther, dealing with assorted methods to lower a car -- some of which is standard on the GTS, for instance -- which, among other things, lessens the tire-to-fender-wall gap.

Larger wheels may also provide a slight edge in pin-point steering. OTOH, larger wheels will generally result in a harsher ride, and will not provide as much protection against potholes. And they cost a lot more.

So, no, nothing inherently wrong with 18" wheels. Note that the outside diameter of the tires will be virtually the same, regardless of the wheel size, for our Macans.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Feel free to send a message or start a new thread if you have any questions to help decide between the two vehicles.
I started a Macan / XC60 tread.

141 - 146 of 146 Posts