Porsche Macan Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
2017 Macan S, approaching 2 years here in the great white north with almost 55,000 miles and counting. trouble free. Still love it like the 1st day she was born, Vrooooom!
now approaching 85,000 Miles and counting and trouble free, except the rear hatch slowly flops down sometime in the cold...New Summers...looking forward to the next 85,000 miles!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
now approaching 85,000 Miles and counting and trouble free, except the rear hatch slowly flops down sometime in the cold...New Summers...looking forward to the next 85,000 miles!!
Considering that my GTS is my daily driver, and planning on keeping it for a while, 85K+ would probably be on target for me as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just want to say this thread is one of the things that put me over the top in re: Macan buying decision. While nothing is perfect it seems this is a solid platform.
Agreed, especially considering it was an all-new platform when it came out, and even those first year runs have been solid. Our 2015 S has 128,000 miles on it, every single thing still works on it, only issue we've had was the transfer case getting jerky at low speed thing, changed out the fluid, all good now. Still getting great performance, zero oil consumption between oil changes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Two years and 35,000 miles later, I feel my Macan GTS is driving better than ever. It's almost as if it's getting better "with age." No issues. Just routine maintenance. Loving it. Just loving it. Purrs so nicely while rolling down the roads.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I took delivery of my Macan S in June 2014. So, it was an extremely early build.

Currently mileage is 89,000. Porsche replaced the entire PDK transmission under warranty at about 28k miles. There was an issue with a cracked exhaust bracket (figured out via forum members here what that was) that had to be replaced, not under warranty. Other than that it has been very reliable and just gets routine services at the dealer every 10k miles. Everything still works. Drives perfectly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
50,000 miles and counting

Just spun over 50,000 miles on a 2017. NO issues so far. Impressed with the dependability.

However, the ridiculous maintenance costs have driven me to do most of my own work. Got oil changes down to a science and found plug change to be relatively easy.

Was rather surprised to need new rear brakes at about 40,000 miles. Have never seen rears wear before front before. Apparently that is a thing with these.
Possible future Macan owner here. I’m looking at a Base plus options (including air suspension) and Volvo XC60. Not here to debate the two.

There have been a lot of comments on this thread about regular maintenance costs. I currently have a Lexus ES300h lease. First maintenance was included and I know that’s not a thing with Porsche. Oil change, in Denver, is around $110 and tire rotation is around $45. 10k miles or 12 months. It also comes back washed and I get a loaner.

Full disclosure, I haven’t googled the maintenance schedule for the Macan. Are we talking similar for the Macan?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Possible future Macan owner here. I’m looking at a Base plus options (including air suspension) and Volvo XC60. Not here to debate the two.

There have been a lot of comments on this thread about regular maintenance costs. I currently have a Lexus ES300h lease. First maintenance was included and I know that’s not a thing with Porsche. Oil change, in Denver, is around $110 and tire rotation is around $45. 10k miles or 12 months. It also comes back washed and I get a loaner.

Full disclosure, I haven’t googled the maintenance schedule for the Macan. Are we talking similar for the Macan?
You might want to start your research by reading through this long thread:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve had my 2017 Macan S for 4 years without an issue other than replacement of the transfer case under warranty. Sixty thousand miles now and it runs better than ever. I believe it is a car worth keeping despite my previous desire to swap out cars every couple of years...maybe I’m just getting older!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts

FWIW, Macan's have staggered tires so you never rotate the tires. Also, When you purchase tires at some tire shops, such as Discount Tire, they do "free" rotation & wheel balancing.

Read through the forum since some maintenance you can DIY or go to an Indy which probably will be less $. Usually the Dealer is the most expensive place to get maintenance done... for any brand.

Also don't let dealer, or any shop, quote you on 10k or 20k mile maintenance. Always get quote for exactly what they are going to do. That way you can eliminate "fluff" charges for nonsense or stuff you can easily do yourself. Such as changing WW blades or cabin filters or checking fluid levels.

·
Registered
970 Posts

As already quoted to ya, search on here for that exact topic... lots to read. $100 might get close to covering if you do it yourself. Indy shop, prob $150-200... Dealers charge $225 to $400 depending on various factors. No rotating Macan tires (unless you really feel the need to do a side to side swap).

·
Registered
22 Posts
FWIW, Macan's have staggered tires so you never rotate the tires. Also, When you purchase tires at some tire shops, such as Discount Tire, they do "free" rotation & wheel balancing.

Read through the forum since some maintenance you can DIY or go to an Indy which probably will be less $. Usually the Dealer is the most expensive place to get maintenance done... for any brand.

Also don't let dealer, or any shop, quote you on 10k or 20k mile maintenance. Always get quote for exactly what they are going to do. That way you can eliminate "fluff" charges for nonsense or stuff you can easily do yourself. Such as changing WW blades or cabin filters or checking fluid levels.
A question on the tire rotation ... I get there is no front/back or front/back/cross due to front to back staggered size. Is there there a benefit, even small, to doing a left/right rotation? This is assuming non-directional tires. I live in Denver and would plan on all season towards all terrain tires (yes I plan on easy/moderate off roading) with a maybe on snow tires for ski season.

Reading this and other suggested threads it really sounds like maintenance cost come down to some level of personal choice. Some people go DIY. Some do everything and some pick and choose. I fall into DIY/pick-choose. I regularly tell Toyota (‘15 4Runner Limited) and Lexus (‘19 ES300h) to take their $60 cabin airfilter or 30k diff fluids changes and shove it in their tailpipe.

I’m not any brand fanboy. I look at the long term value, enjoyment for me and do I get excited getting in the car. When I turn the car on does it return the favor. I love my ES and know will last forever, but lack of all wheel drive and ground clearance is becoming an issue with my life style.

I’m getting the sense the Macan can go 100k+ miles and keep its soul. No car is cheap to maintain anymore, being smart about service is key.

Somewhere in this tread a tire called arrton or something was mentioned. I’ve never heard of the brand. I’m looking at the base 18” rims. The sizes seems normal-ish. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is more of an age vs mileage question.

I don’t drive a lot normally and have worked from home long before COVID. Pre COVID I was hard pressed to hit 10-12k miles per year. Post covid19 I’m down to 7k in the last 1.25 years. I know some cars have different issues as they age and don’t get driven a lot. This is my daily driver but a lot of days I only drive the mile one way (2-ish round trip) to my local coffee shop (not Starbucks) in Denver. Could this pose different issues as the Macan ages?

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
177 Posts
A question on the tire rotation ... I get there is no front/back or front/back/cross due to front to back staggered size. Is there there a benefit, even small, to doing a left/right rotation? This is assuming non-directional tires. I live in Denver and would plan on all season towards all terrain tires (yes I plan on easy/moderate off roading) with a maybe on snow tires for ski season.

Reading this and other suggested threads it really sounds like maintenance cost come down to some level of personal choice. Some people go DIY. Some do everything and some pick and choose. I fall into DIY/pick-choose. I regularly tell Toyota (‘15 4Runner Limited) and Lexus (‘19 ES300h) to take their $60 cabin airfilter or 30k diff fluids changes and shove it in their tailpipe.

I’m not any brand fanboy. I look at the long term value, enjoyment for me and do I get excited getting in the car. When I turn the car on does it return the favor. I love my ES and know will last forever, but lack of all wheel drive and ground clearance is becoming an issue with my life style.

I’m getting the sense the Macan can go 100k+ miles and keep its soul. No car is cheap to maintain anymore, being smart about service is key.

Somewhere in this tread a tire called arrton or something was mentioned. I’ve never heard of the brand. I’m looking at the base 18” rims. The sizes seems normal-ish. Am I missing something?
Directional tires are about better handling/performance. I haven't personally owned a higher end vehicle that didn't have them. Your questions seem to lead towards saving money, which is a great goal, but step 1 would be, don't buy a Porsche.

No matter what it's going to cost more to own and service a Porsche, even if you did everything yourself. My wife has a Lexus, parts costs aren't even close. Not trying to scare you, I love my Macan, but I think anyone who gets into one without accepting that the service costs are higher is going to be unhappy. The cost of a DIY oil change on the Macan is about what I paid a shop on my BMW, which was more than the Lexus, and it's like that across the board.

Do your research, decide if it makes sense for you. But if you are asking about going with cheaper lower performing tires so you can save money by rotating them, how are you going to feel when you have to pay $350-600 for the transmission service?

·
Registered
69 Posts
At least in the USA, maintenance is included for 12 months and 10,000 miles for new Macans.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts