Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually keep my cars into high miles . I think my lifetime record was 48K . Lowest was 300 miles . Average trade in for me ranges from 20-35K miles.

Well my Macan is at 31K and its running great . With the refresh seemingly at 2020 as a late 19 release I am conflicted on when to make the move . So I am curious to hear what's ahead for me if I keep the car .

Thus far I had the transfter case replaced in one day with a perfect job. They did a huge 2 year service (plus, all filters . etc) about a month ago . I'll need tires soon and front brake pads might be soon .

Outside of these routine things any high mile surprises to look for ?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've had mine for almost 4 years (30K miles) .... no bad surprises so far.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
5,000+ miles, a little over three months, on the Macan S.

Our backup car is now a (six-cylinder!) 2010 Camry SE, bought new in 2009, with 152,000+ miles on it. Since that gets little use now, I expect similar numbers for the S, going forward.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
35 months, 61,000 miles. No MAJOR issues, just the standard: recalls, cracked B-pillar trim replaced, mid-engine exhaust bracket replaced. One related windshield (rock). Other than that, just routine maintenance...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Purchased a CPO, I'm sorry, Porsche Approved, 2015 Macan Turbo in October 2015 with 12K miles. I'm about to turn 79K miles. No major issues and it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Have you had the serpentine belt replaced? If yes, do you know if the front bumper assembly was removed for access?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't usually keep my cars into high miles . I think my lifetime record was 48K . Lowest was 300 miles .
I can't help you with the mileage question (only 19K on mine), but would love to hear about the car you only kept for 300 miles.
:confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
So far after 39 months and 88k miles ( 140k kms ) , the Mac Turbo has not skip a beat, even with the Techart added ECU tune. Beside the normal schedule maintenance, the only issue is the over enthusiastic weekdays drives and just had its 4th set of michelin tyres on ! No brake pad change as yet. Looking forward to replace it soon when it hit 150k kms....with another Mac Turbo PP .

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would love to hear about the car you only kept for 300 miles.
:confused:
The somewhat short version - bought a car for wife's (then girlfriend's) son when he was in high school (about 10 years ago) . He had some rules and responsibilities set by his mom to keep the car but didn't meet them. So we took it back and kept it for ourselves . Two years later , a little maturity , some walking , a bus pass , he started to grow up . We gave him back the car . We missed having the car . It was our first taste of having a spare car which wasn't fancy so it was worry free . So we bought one for ourselves to be our spare (beater) car . During the first week I read on the forums that with the economic crisis of 09 a member got a 20 percent discount on a 911 . I already had my 911 Turbo . I didn't really need another 911 . But the lure of finally getting a huge bargain intrigued me. So I walked into an empty dealership and told them what i had read on the forum . I told them that if they gave me 20 percent off on a 911 I wold walk around their lot and buy one "right now" . They scratched their heads . We walked (lol) .. I drove it . I bought it . I traded in the 300 mile one week old car for nearly what i paid for it.

It was a long time ago .. but the memory is still alive because i posted pics about it at the time !!! See below --

A younger but happy yrralis1 with the car he bought https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/179799-let-me-wipe-grin-off-my-face.html

·
Registered
157 Posts
The somewhat short version - bought a car for wife's (then girlfriend's) son when he was in high school (about 10 years ago) . He had some rules and responsibilities set by his mom to keep the car but didn't meet them. So we took it back and kept it for ourselves . Two years later , a little maturity , some walking , a bus pass , he started to grow up . We gave him back the car . We missed having the car . It was our first taste of having a spare car which wasn't fancy so it was worry free . So we bought one for ourselves to be our spare (beater) car . During the first week I read on the forums that with the economic crisis of 09 a member got a 20 percent discount on a 911 . I already had my 911 Turbo . I didn't really need another 911 . But the lure of finally getting a huge bargain intrigued me. So I walked into an empty dealership and told them what i had read on the forum . I told them that if they gave me 20 percent off on a 911 I wold walk around their lot and buy one "right now" . They scratched their heads . We walked (lol) .. I drove it . I bought it . I traded in the 300 mile one week old car for nearly what i paid for it.

It was a long time ago .. but the memory is still alive because i posted pics about it at the time !!! See below --

A younger but happy yrralis1 with the car he bought https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/179799-let-me-wipe-grin-off-my-face.html
With the above said, I think you hold your Macan till the next economic crisis and at that time best your prior dealership offer with 30% discount. Go for the record.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far after 39 months and 88k miles ( 140k kms ) , the Mac Turbo has not skip a beat, even with the Techart added ECU tune. Beside the normal schedule maintenance, the only issue is the over enthusiastic weekdays drives and just had its 4th set of michelin tyres on ! No brake pad change as yet. Looking forward to replace it soon when it hit 150k kms....with another Mac Turbo PP .
Wow . no brake pads !!! Is this mostly highway ?

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the above said, I think you hold your Macan till the next economic crisis and at that time best your prior dealership offer with 30% discount. Go for the record.
I think a huge discount on a 911 is a once in a lifetime thing . The 20 percent off deals of 2009 were not just isolated . Part of the problem for Porsche at the time was they overproduced 09 cars and got stuck with them on a boat with dealerships refusing to take them . Dealerships refused because no one was buying and they were swimming in inventory . So Porsche offered them 10 grand just to take a car which rolled into the discount just to move units and get allocation credit . Some faced huge problems dealerships ( remember one closed and another declared bankruptcy) . Porsche also tightened up as forum members posted they had good credit but were declined on loans . Used cars became cheap as people freaked out and sold them and that's when Porsche began strengthening the CPO program . Some guys bought used cars and sold it a year later for a profit.

Times were tough . Unlike today many forum members of that time promised themselves that they would never over pay for a Porsche . They felt that they learned how every cent mattered .

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Totally not a high-mileage car, but 1/31 was my 2 year Macan-iversary & I turned exactly 9600 miles the day before. I've intended to keep the last few cars I've had for 10 years, but totally blown it! There's a good chance that this Macan might finally be a long-term car. We got a good deal when we purchased it, but we've spent a few dollars on it, adding the Remus exhaust, lowering springs, Sport +, & the voice control module. So, it's where I want it to be, does what I want it to do & still makes me happy to drive. Hoping all stays good with it, so it'll hang around for a good long time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Macan S was delivered in May of 2014. Now 40K miles later I love it enough to recently ordered a GTS. Keeping the S, sold my 718 Boxster S to get the GTS.

Up to now have never had a DTC, one warning for a low tire, nail.

Problems
Under-hood stickers fell off

Faulty PCM, kept rebooting in cold weather

Right muffler replaced for a rattle under acceleration

Steering wheel replaced for leather deterioration

Annoyances
Longish brake pedal travel with a somewhat soft pedal feeling. After two trips to the dealer it was decided it is what it is. Stops well though but the action is nothing like either my two Boxster or my GT4.

leaking rear washer nozzle

weak front door checks, won’t hold well on the slightest incline

Radio loses volume at times

Rear wiper activates for reasons I can’t understand. Control in off position

Backup camera lens is in a poor spot, almost never clean as is the rear window.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes Larry, 85% or there about is highway kilometers. Though I do like using the pdk gear in manual mode to slow the car down as often as possible just for fun of it...so less brake use. Service department did mentioned recently i will need to replace them soon though. I'm hoping the new replacement car arrive before i need to replace the pads on this one !

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why was you transfer case replaced with such low miles?
I brought the car in with some of the complaints which others (on the forum) said ended up with a new transfer case . They took the car in, checked it, and replaced it under warranty in one day. The car has been perfect since . I had thought it was a big deal but they explained to me that they had enough experience with it and that the work was so straight forward that the replacement process is nothing to worry over .

1 - 20 of 146 Posts