Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2017 Macan GTS in August 2019 coming from a BMW M2. I wanted to change it up and try out Porsche since I owned BMW's for over 30 years. Three months later I regret ever making the move. I expected more from Porsche. The whole driving experience seems underwhelming and the steering is just horrible. I'm thinking of trading it in for another BMW M.

Does anyone else regret buying the Macan GTS?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Coming from an M2 maybe you should have gotten a Cayman GTS
Coming from a heavily modified 6 spd e92 335 that saw the track 10 days a year I think the Macan GTS is the best all around car I’ve ever had and still find excuses to drive after 1.5 years so far. Yes I miss the perfect heel-toe and the cornering of my KW coils but I do love the precision of the PDK and adjustability of PASM and AS.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Curious exactly what you were expecting. Hopefully you were not expecting any SUV to handle like an M2. The badge on the hood can't defy the laws of physics. My Macan Turbo, even lowered as much as it is, is never going to match the handling of our M235, much less an M2.

Unfortunately some Porsche dealers would like you to believe the Macan will drive and handle like a Porsche sports car, but the reality is the Macan has little in common with any Porsche sports car. If it makes you feel any better, you are not the first on this forum to realize this after buying a Macan.

Many days I would definitely enjoy driving an M2 more than my Turbo. But often an M2 would not meet the need I was trying to fill when I bought the Macan.

I assume you do realize that no BMW SUV will drive and handle like an M2 either. Given that you owned an M2 you know what excellent steering and handling is. When you test drove a Macan you did not immediately realize the vast difference?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they are different classes. Thats a given. I just thought since Porsche is a performance line that it would be somewhat close to BMWs performance line. I asked a few friends who own Porsches and they all said " I won't be disappointed etc... Im mainly disappointed in the steering. I find it loose. Maybe because the M2 was tight and precise so to speak.. Maybe im just use to how an M car drives since I've only owned M cars..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious exactly what you were expecting. Hopefully you were not expecting any SUV to handle like an M2. The badge on the hood can't defy the laws of physics. My Macan Turbo, even lowered as much as it is, is never going to match the handling of our M235, much less an M2.

Unfortunately some Porsche dealers would like you to believe the Macan will drive and handle like a Porsche sports car, but the reality is the Macan has little in common with any Porsche sports car. If it makes you feel any better, you are not the first on this forum to realize this after buying a Macan.

Many days I would definitely enjoy driving an M2 more than my Turbo. But often an M2 would not meet the need I was trying to fill when I bought the Macan.

I assume you do realize that no BMW SUV will drive and handle like an M2 either. Given that you owned an M2 you know what excellent steering and handling is. When you test drove a Macan you did not immediately realize the vast difference?
I expected the steering to be tighter. It lacks something. I made the mistake of not test driving it. I bought site unseen and took the word of the Porsche salesman that I wouldn't be disappointed. that the first mistake I made. its a nice suv, comfortable drive just no wow factor or excitement to drive it.
I test drove today a 2018 BMW X5M and 2017 X6M. The handling and performance of those two suvs is what I was thinking the GTS would be close to... I might trade it in or keep it for days that an suv is needed and look at the cayman gts or go back to the m2...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
... I made the mistake of not test driving it. I bought site unseen and took the word of the Porsche salesman that I wouldn't be disappointed. that the first mistake I made. ....
That is one HUGE mistake!

I can't imagine buying any car w/o a test drive or relying on the word of the, obvious biased, salesman for frankly... anything.

I bet you will never buy another car w/o extensive test driving.

You should look into selling or trading your Macan & buy something that you love driving. After test driving it, of course!

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
To the OP:

I have no regrets going from a F80 M3 Competition Package (ZCP) 6MT to a Macan GTS.
Of note, in the past 5 years, went from a 911 (991.1, PDK) to a X6M (F86) to the F80 M3, and now the Macan GTS.
Prior car history includes a Boxster (987.1 5MT) and an Audi RS4 (B7, 6MT).

I loved all those cars.
But no car is perfect, and I'm particular about particular things.

A growing family forced me out of the 911. I tried really, really hard to make it work, but couldn't.
And the X6M was the opportunity to cover all 3: baby, biking, (snow)boarding. At the time I got the F86 X6M, the Macan GTS wasn't out yet, and I don't believe the Turbo either. The base and S models I test drove were kinda slow.

While the X6M was fun in its own way, I missed something smaller and more agile, and I wanted a manual, hence the M3 ZCP. But driving the M3 made me miss the 911.
Every. Single. Time. I. Drove. The. M3.

My biggest gripe about the M3 was the steering: it was too numb, on-center had a dead spot, off-center movements had an unnatural progression, and the return to center was also unnatural in feeling and weighting. Plus, the steering wheel is a bit thick and squishy. Don't get me wrong, overall I loved driving that car, and over handling and performance and power were great, but that steering was disappointing every time I drove it.
So much was coming to me in the M3 through my feet and the seat (suspension really firm) but with my hands, felt like I was wearing really thick oven mitts. The 911 and Boxster had much better steering in every aspect: feel, weighting, ratio, etc. And I love the Porsche steering wheels: perfect thickness, cross-section shape, 9-3 thumb rests, etc. It's really hard not to miss the steering and handling of a 911 or Boxster/Cayman after having them as daily drivers for years.

What really stands out in the 911 and Boxster vs the M3 is the cohesiveness and consistency of the driving experience, that everything works together and feels about the same level: steering, suspension, engine, transmission (manual and PDK), and brakes. The same quality of coherence I experience in the Macan GTS, and I think that's what many refer to in stating that a Porsche product drives like a Porsche.

In the M3, the steering stood out to me every drive like it was out of balance.
My sister has an M2 6MT which I've driven many times. Steering experience is about identical to my M3 ZCP, but because her standard non-adaptive suspension isn't as firm as my M3 suspension, the steering sensation imbalance isn't as notable.

I had both the M3 and Macan GTS for a while, and got to drive those, and my sister's M2, back-to-back-to-back.
While less comes at you overall in the Macan (it's more comfortable and quieter), it's much better balanced in all the things I mentioned above than the M3 and M2. While a little bit less comes through the steering wheel in the Macan vs the M3 and M2, I enjoy the steering experience overall better because of the steering wheel and the steering aspects I described above.

Yes, the M3 and M2 carve twisty roads better than the Macan, and it's hard to beat something with a lower COG and shorter suspension travel, and less weight, for handling dynamics, but to me, the GTS is very satisfying, especially with the cohesiveness of the entire experience. And the M3 and M2 pale in comparison to a 911 or Boxster/Cayman to me with respect to driving experience. Also, the F80 M3 interior is subpar, and more so the M2. After the X6M, the M3 felt low-rent whenever I sat in it. The Macan is a step up.

A month or so before I bought the Macan GTS, I was set on replacing the M3 with either another 911 (6MT this time) or a Cayenne Turbo. I tried again to figure out how to make a 911 work for a family of 3 as my only car and failed again. I was even prepared to get a roof rack.
A Cayenne Turbo is almost exactly the same weight and size as the X6M, though is a little faster with better steering. But they are are just too big/heavy.

The Macan GTS is almost exactly in the middle between the 911 and X6M/Cayenne Turbo weights, about 1,000 lbs either way. That is a big difference vs the X6M/CT, affecting handling significantly.

Before getting the Macan GTS, I even test drove another F86 X6M and a Macan GTS on the same day.
I find the steering in the GTS much better than the X6M with respect to what I mentioned above about steering experience. And body control in curves and corners and transitions from side-to-side are also much better in the Macan GTS.

Of course, the F86 engine and acceleration are awesome, and while the Macan GTS power is sufficient, does pale in comparison to that of the F86, and also the F80 M3. I love the look of the F86 X6M. Overall, thought it was a great vehicle.

I don't know what your priorities are, but mine now are to cover the 3 B's with the best handling, and with roof rails and an OEM hitch, and I found the Macan GTS to be the best option.

Ultimately, though, I'd like to be back in another 911.
I don't like where BMW designs are going, and I'm afraid the steering won't return to the glory days of the E36 and E46 M3s. And no BMW I've driven has been a better holistic driving experience than a 911 or Boxster/Cayman.

·
Premium Member
3,605 Posts
.....The whole driving experience seems underwhelming and the steering is just horrible.....
If you want to significantly improve your experience with the GTS, there are a few low cost modifications you could consider.....

First; the North American cars come standard with Power Steering Plus, which is a software upgrade to make the steering feel lighter at lower speeds. Many folks here have had their dealership turn-off that option. You can read some comments in the following thread starting with post number 107.....

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/power-steering-plus.11825/page-6

Second; starting with late 2017 model year builds, Porsche eliminated some of the strut tower stiffening bars. It's possible you have the main crossbar, but not the two side reinforcement bars. They can easily be retrofitted. See the following thread.....

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/2018-porsche-macan-s-deleted-parts.159369/page-5

Finally, although the GTS already sits slightly lower than the other trim levels, consider installing a lowering module or finding a shop that can use PIWIS to lower the suspension another 25mm or so. It will make car handle much closer to a sport sedan. More discussion in the following thread.....

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/i-lowered-my-gts.169867/

Good luck going forward.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes they are different classes. Thats a given. I just thought since Porsche is a performance line that it would be somewhat close to BMWs performance line. I asked a few friends who own Porsches and they all said " I won't be disappointed etc... Im mainly disappointed in the steering. I find it loose. Maybe because the M2 was tight and precise so to speak.. Maybe im just use to how an M car drives since I've only owned M cars..
I expected the steering to be tighter. It lacks something. I made the mistake of not test driving it. I bought site unseen and took the word of the Porsche salesman that I wouldn't be disappointed. that the first mistake I made. its a nice suv, comfortable drive just no wow factor or excitement to drive it.
I test drove today a 2018 BMW X5M and 2017 X6M. The handling and performance of those two suvs is what I was thinking the GTS would be close to... I might trade it in or keep it for days that an suv is needed and look at the cayman gts or go back to the m2...
What do you mean you mean by "loose"?
For me, that means some play, that moving the steering wheel doesn't move the tires.

To me, there isn't more of that in the Macan GTS vs my previous M3 or the M2 I've driven.
The Macan steering weight is lighter, but there's no slop, no play, or at least, not more than the M3/M2 in general, and there is a slightly bigger dead spot in the middle (dead vertical) to me in the M3 and M2 steering than the Macan GTS.

The steering ratio of the Macan GTS may be a little "slower" than the M3/M2, that the amount of steering wheel rotation may be a little more for each degree of tire turning, but that's a distinctly different quality/issue to me than looseness/slop/play.

If that's what you mean by "loose", than the Giulia QV steering will feel "tighter" to you than the M3/M2 steering, because the steering ratio of the Giulia is faster. Almost too fast for some (slight movements of the steering wheel cause significant tire angle change). The Ferrari F12 is also said to be too quick, and I believe Jeremy Clarkson said a sneeze could run you off the road in that beautiful machine.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
One can not compare a two ton SUV with a compact sport coupe . When the Macan was born it was not an uncommon phrase to hear (paraphrasing) "it's the rational 911" . My Macan GTS is my wife's car . Before that she had three other Macans , a base Cayenne , and before that 2 E92 M3's (manual) . Her driving needs have matured over the years into the focus on practical with a splash of sport . Sitting in commuter traffic or in heavy rain the Macan is a joy to her and if she presses the sport or sport plus button it gives enough to leave her with a smile .

Myself on the other hand want MORE .. much more !! In fact I found the last two BMW's enough to say farewell BMW , The manual gearbox was the sloppiest I had ever seen but the DCT was also not a Porsche PDK . The car itself was nice but my 911 ran circles around it in just about every aspect (except perhaps the radio ) . The 911 was more agile , more direct , and just a tap on the brakes even at the last moment just nailed it . I would not even compare an M2 to a 911 just as I would not compare an M2 to a Macan GTS . Even a Cayman Gt4 would rip both cars .

The Macan has understeer . I first discovered this moreso in my first Macan Turbo . Being faster than a GTS placed me into a sweeping curve which was effortless in my 911's , a former Boxster , and even the M3 but with that Macan Turbo there was a moment I thought I might end up off the road and into the shallow canal

The Macan is great for buying groceries , taking pets to the vet , and some lively SUV moments . It's fantastic in the rain and I imagine so in the snow . It's a world class street vehicle . For an SUV to get any enthusiast credibility it has to have something and the Macan does have enough to have placed 4 of them in the house .

In short .. it might be time too either compliment the SUV with a sports car or sell it . You will never make it something which it can never be.

·
Super Moderator
7,216 Posts
Does anyone else regret buying the Macan GTS?
@GildaGJG you are not the first person to complain about something when buying their first Porsche and you will not be the last, so don't feel bad. Its common to compare the experience to what the new buyer has owned in the past. It's commonly two things. The first is exactly what you said: "But my old car did this and the Macan does not" 😧 And then there is the always popular: "I have to pay WHAT to get what you get free in a Honda/Toyota??? :mad:" It was hard to follow this thread because salient and key information was scattered in multiple posts so I tried to put it all together.

I owned BMW's for over 30 years
😃

I've only owned M cars.
😃😃

I asked a few friends who own Porsches and they all said " I won't be disappointed
🙄

I made the mistake of not test driving it
😥 😰

I bought site unseen
😱

I ...took the word of the Porsche salesman
🤣

they are different classes
🤔

I just thought since Porsche is a performance line that it would be somewhat close to BMWs performance line.
😬(n)

I'm thinking of trading it in for another BMW M.
🤗

OK. You've recognized the mistakes made and I'm sure learned from them: didn't take a test drive, took the word of owners of a brand you are not familiar with, compared apples and oranges (i.e., a sports coupe with a SUV) and my favorite, believed what someone who wants your money is telling you. One other thing you might not have caught.

Besides comparing the "performance" version of a sports coupe or sports sedan, to a SUV, the comment "Porsche is a performance line that it would be somewhat close to BMWs performance line" makes no sense. The equivalent "performance line" to the "M" cars would be the Weissach cars, engineered in Weissach. Those are the "performance" cars. They are built to allow Porsche to homologate race cars, well except maybe the GT2 but there used to be a GT2 race series. AFAIK, Porsche does not have any plans to race SUVs. Is there any "race" for SUVs? Some Cayennes were in the TransSyberian Rally some years ago for 4 x 4s. I never heard of any plans to create GT SUVs nor doubt they ever would. They are, by definition, a Sport Utility Vehicle. They haul people and cargo, either soft roading and some actually off roading. They don't go road racing.

So you can't compare M SUVs or sports coupes/sedans against regular production Porsche SUVs. They are not the same thing. If you want to compare, compare a Z3M coupe or Z4M against a GT4. I guess they don't make the M sports cars anymore. IOW, compare apples to apples. :)

Good luck in whatever you choose. We all live and learn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you were looking for the performance of an X5M or X6M, curious why you would choose a GTS. Of course the GTS feels massively underpowered compared to those as it feels underpowered compared to even a Macan Turbo.

How about a PP? Sorry, but there's no way either one of the BWW's out handle any Macan. Just like Porsche, no way can BMW's engineers hide all that weight, and both the BMW's are portly compared to a Macan (which is already heavy). Overall a PP is going to be much closer to an M2 (although I'm not saying even a PP will match the handling of an M2.)

Don't get me wrong. Would love to have an X5M, and personally I might put up with extra weight to get that engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you want to significantly improve your experience with the GTS, there are a few low cost modifications you could consider.....

First; the North American cars come standard with Power Steering Plus, which is a software upgrade to make the steering feel lighter at lower speeds. Many folks here have had their dealership turn-off that option. You can read some comments in the following thread starting with post number 107.....

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/power-steering-plus.11825/page-6
+1 on disabling power steering plus. I also came from an M car and with this enabled the steering seemed too light at all speeds.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Not for a second. Best handling CUV I've ever owned.

Better than the Audi SQ5, better than the Mercedes GLC43, better than the BMW X3 M40i, and better than the Jaguar F-Pace S.

·
Registered
178 Posts
+1 on disabling power steering plus. I also came from an M car and with this enabled the steering seemed too light at all speeds.
Actually I have mixed feelings after having the power steering plus disabled on our GTS. Did not make any difference whatsoever except at low speeds, and parking is now more of a chore. Yeah there is a bit more road feel at low speeds, but in retrospect it was never much of an issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate everyones replies. Thank you for taking the time. Don't get me wrong I do think the Macan is a nice suv. I just expected a different experience when driving it thats all. Its my own fault for not driving it before taking delivery.

But I did give it a shot over the last 90 days to the point of putting 5,000 miles on it hoping to love driving it. But I have decided to move on. I bought a 2018 x5M this afternoon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I appreciate everyones replies. Thank you for taking the time. Don't get me wrong I do think the Macan is a nice suv. I just expected a different experience when driving it thats all. Its my own fault for not driving it before taking delivery.

But I did give it a shot over the last 90 days to the point of putting 5,000 miles on it hoping to love driving it. But I have decided to move on. I bought a 2018 x5M this afternoon.
Good luck with the X5M. You've driven it and you know you like it. I can definitely see someone moving from an M2 to a GTS and feeling it's underpowered.

·
Registered
682 Posts

Congrats. Enjoy the X5M!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Actually I have mixed feelings after having the power steering plus disabled on our GTS. Did not make any difference whatsoever except at low speeds, and parking is now more of a chore. Yeah there is a bit more road feel at low speeds, but in retrospect it was never much of an issue.
Thank you for this input before I almost made the move.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts