Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking at the crazy prices for used Macans in GTA I've started to wonder if importing used Macan from the States would make any sense?
The cars are made in Germany, so there will be 6% duty plus 13% HST in Ontario.
Plus expenses to fly to somewhere and drive from there, let's say another CAD$ 1000, and probably some more money to pass safety and certify the car if needed.
Has anyone looked into it, worth it or not?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Don't forget the 30% exchange rate too, as well as the inspection on this side of the border before you insure it.
It would have to be a screaming deal before I went that route.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have been hearing of Americans coming to Canada to buy cars. Canadian Porsche dealers cannot/will not sell new cars outside the country, but I some used Porsches are going to the States.

·
Super Moderator
1,640 Posts
With the currency exchange the way it is, it would not make a lot of economic sense for a Canadian
citizen to buy a Macan from the US and import it into Canada. As of this morning $1 US was $1.28 CDN.

Remember, the US Macans are priced in US dollars. If you're paying with CDN dollars you'll have to
deal with the currency exchange. I kind of doubt a US Porsche dealer is going to accept $CDN at par...

It works somewhat better for a US citizen to purchase a Macan from Canada, although there are
additional costs associated with bringing a vehicle into the US - duty, brokerage fees, transport,
etc. Then, once it's here, the buyer likely has to pay local sales tax. It's work, although it can be
done.

Good luck! I hope you find a Macan you like!

;)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Macans are cheaper, currency adjusted, in Canada (new). So I presume used ones are more expensive in the US too, adjusting for everything.

Macan S base in Canada is C$ 61,400. In the US US$55,400. The Canadian car is a screaming deal.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Macans are cheaper, currency adjusted, in Canada (new). So I presume used ones are more expensive in the US too, adjusting for everything.

Macan S base in Canada is C$ 61,400. In the US US$55,400. The Canadian car is a screaming deal.

Yep, that translates to $47,968 US before border costs. I recall when my S was $49,950 US before check boxes.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Good grief NO.

The steering wheel is on the wrong side!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts