Porsche Macan Forum banner

161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
My 17 GTS doesn't have PTV+ and I'm extremely satisfied with the handling. I haven't driven one with it so I can't say if it's worth it or not. I would like to know how much it improves the handling in the snow since my wife will be driving it in the winter for the first time and she's right foot happy. Is it true that it cannot be retrofitted?

In an open differential, torque flows to the faster spinning wheel. So if you’re in a pile of snow and one rear wheel digs itself into a little hole and just spins, the other rear wheel won’t get any power to help pull you out. This isn’t quite as much of a concern in an AWD car as power will still get routed to the front. And there’s also traction control systems in place (the interaction between all these elements is something of a black box to me). PTV+ should generally provide an advantage in snow, but it seems like the car still has enough methods of keeping traction.

Which leads to tires - if you’ll be seeing lots of snow (and/or very cold temps) you should have a dedicated set of winter tires. Moving torque around still only helps if the tires can grip in the first place.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I’m happy to be wrong here. I’ve just seen every car magazine review take pains to point out that PTV+ is a brake based system. While the limited slip will help transfer torque away from the faster spinning wheel, I don’t believe the Porsche system will actively direct torque to the outside wheel (hence the brake system).

The Acura system will send up to 100% of rear torque to the outside wheel during cornering. Some of this may be to compensate for the fact that the car is inherently front wheel drive biased to start.

Nevertheless, in typical Porsche style, the choice of parts is secondary to the result - in a C&D comparison test, they found the Macan out handled the SQ5 (with active diff).
I have never seen the Macan PTV+ system explained well or with significant detail. The Porsche website provides a very basic explanation. And their promo video also provides only limited information. However, they do both indicate at the differential being active and not open.

Promo video which highlights the differential: https://youtu.be/aUKIjwW16mU

Porsche website:

Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)
Sports car makers adore corners. With our technologies, we are forever fanning the flames of the relationship. PTV Plus is an optional system for enhancing both driving dynamics and stability.

Operating in conjunction with an electronically regulated rear differential lock, it works by varying the torque distribution to the rear wheels. When the car is driven into a corner, moderate brake pressure is applied to the inside rear wheel as the situation demands. Consequently, a greater amount of drive force is distributed to the outside rear wheel, inducing an additional rotational pulse (yaw movement) around the vehicle’s vertical axis. The effect is a direct and sporty steering action. And considerable driving pleasure at every twist and turn.

At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV Plus significantly increases agility and steering precision. At high speeds on the straight, and in fast corners where the wheels threaten to spin, the electronically controlled rear differential lock provides added driving stability. Stability is also improved on road surfaces with varying grip as well as in the wet and snow.

Optional for all Macan models.
Personally, while I understand the benefits of an active diff, and it would be fun to know it was there, what matters to me mostly is how it performs. For example, I recently got to do a spirited 30 minute demo in a McLaren 570S Spider and I was thoroughly impressed. I am no way comparing a McLaren to a Macan, but what is interesting about the McLaren is that it uses a completely open differential and manages "torque vectoring" via a 100% brake based system. It is quite impressive actually. And even Chris Harris agrees! ;) https://youtu.be/eDgzwQRQ_NU

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have never seen the Macan PTV+ system explained well or with significant detail. The Porsche website provides a very basic explanation. And their promo video also provides only limited information. However, they do both indicate at the differential being active and not open.
Many automakers could improve in this regard, but for such a bespoke option based selling approach, I would expect even more from Porsche in providing better explanations for their features / options.

While it’s clear PTV+ has an electronic limited slip differential, it still seems to electronically vary between open and locked, which is still not “active” in the way Audi’s sport diff operates. But in the end, I agree with you:

Personally, while I understand the benefits of an active diff, and it would be fun to know it was there, what matters to me mostly is how it performs.

As I noted in an earlier post as well, Porsche is the master at getting great results from what in theory should be less than ideal parts / setups (struts vs double wishbone, rear engine placement, generally better performance than raw hp, or even power to weight would suggest).

In picking to order a Macan vs buying any of the other vehicles I considered, it didn’t come down to specs, it just drove the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From a handling perspective, doesn't PSM brake the inside rear wheel during turning? While not accelerating the outside wheels like PVT+, doesn't PSM accomplish the same results? Braking inside wheel = accelerating outside wheel? My old G37x handle well while being pushed during high speed cornering but the rear brakes did need to be replaced before the front ones.

Porsche Stability Management (PSM) is an electronic control system that maintains stability – and increases driving safety – even at the limits of sporty performance. Sensors continuously monitor driving direction, speed, yaw velocity and lateral acceleration. PSM actively intervenes to stabilise the vehicle when necessary by strategically applying the brakes at individual wheels.

·
Registered
397 Posts
PTV+ Worth?

From a handling perspective, doesn't PSM brake the inside rear wheel during turning? While not accelerating the outside wheels like PVT+, doesn't PSM accomplish the same results? Braking inside wheel = accelerating outside wheel? My old G37x handle well while being pushed during high speed cornering but the rear brakes did need to be replaced before the front ones.

Porsche Stability Management (PSM) is an electronic control system that maintains stability – and increases driving safety – even at the limits of sporty performance. Sensors continuously monitor driving direction, speed, yaw velocity and lateral acceleration. PSM actively intervenes to stabilise the vehicle when necessary by strategically applying the brakes at individual wheels.

I think the difference is that PSM intervenes only when slip is detected- more of a safety oriented application of individual wheel braking. Whereas PTV+ looks to enhance cornering by inducing a bit of yaw.

When at PEC, I drove around the low friction circle (with added rain), and the intent was to not correct with the wheel while adding throttle to see how the systems respond to keep you going on the designated path. You could feel the car inducing understeer when I should have been spinning.

Similar when doing the launch onto a wet epoxy coated surface with pop up hazards, with the rear end getting a sideways bump as you hit it. With PSM the car more or less corrects itself. With the system partially off it lets the rear slide a bit before intervening, and fully off you’re on your own...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Random question and forgive me if this has been answered (I searched other PTV+ threads):

Knowing that the Macan's PTV+ is brake-based, do you have to be 'on-throttle' for it to kick in?
For example, in Acura's SH-AWD, if you're not on throttle during a turn, it basically isn't working (although I believe the hybrid SH-AWD does a little 'passive vectoring' due to regenerative braking of the inside wheel).

My guess is that PTV+ does not work 'passively' but you have to be on throttle and then the computer sensors brake the inside wheel and allow 'more' power to the outside wheel (but not overpowering the outside wheel). Essentially allowing you to throttle on a bit quicker.

Do the experts agree with that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll be placing an order on a 2020 Macan S next month and will likely order PTV+. Being a racer, optimum handling is important to me, not to mention additional traction and stability in snow.

Curious as to whether or not those whose cars are so equipped have experienced increased brake wear? Our Mercedes C43 AMG has experienced significantly increased brake wear due to lane keep assist, which cannot be shut off, and the occasional use of adaptive cruise control. Both of which use the brakes to steer. For what it's worth, LKA is the most annoying and intrusive technology. I fail to the the benefits and will not order it on the Macan.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I'll be placing an order on a 2020 Macan S next month and will likely order PTV+. Being a racer, optimum handling is important to me, not to mention additional traction and stability in snow.

Curious as to whether or not those whose cars are so equipped have experienced increased brake wear? Our Mercedes C43 AMG has experienced significantly increased brake wear due to lane keep assist, which cannot be shut off, and the occasional use of adaptive cruise control. Both of which use the brakes to steer. For what it's worth, LKA is the most annoying and intrusive technology. I fail to the the benefits and will not order it on the Macan.
I have had PTV on my Macan for 50k miles and haven’t replaced pads once yet

Reactions: mplgaus and TripleL

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have had PTV on my Macan for 50k miles and haven’t replaced pads once yet

PTV+ only kicks in when you are at sharp turns at high speed, so if you drive normally, you won't feel the difference and very minimum extra brake wear.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
I'll be placing an order on a 2020 Macan S next month and will likely order PTV+. .....Curious as to whether or not those whose cars are so equipped have experienced increased brake wear?....
I have not seen any increased brake wear. After 50,000 miles, the front pads are 3 mm thinner than the rear pads. Perhaps if I did a lot of track days on twisty road courses, it would be a different story.

Reactions: TripleL

·
Registered
364 Posts
Knowing that the Macan's PTV+ is brake-based, do you have to be 'on-throttle' for it to kick in?
No.

Any one of the following can activate PTV+:

1) steering angle
2) steering speed
3) accelerator pedal position
4) yaw rate
5) vehicle speed

·
Registered
215 Posts
All I heard was, PTV+ doesn’t play much role on a SUV unless u take it to the race track and use full throttle.

Everyday driving - No Use[Porsche Experts reasoning]

·
Registered
317 Posts
All I heard was, PTV+ doesn’t play much role on a SUV unless u take it to the race track and use full throttle.

Everyday driving - No Use[Porsche Experts reasoning]
I don't think so. It makes the car feel more "sticky". Just try going fast on a motorway ramp in a PTV+ Macan vs a non-PTV+ Macan and you'll immediately notice the difference. Particularly with more power - e.g. the Turbo - it makes it easier to put it down safely. It's absolutely a boost for everyday driving, it makes the car feel more like a Porsche.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
I beg to differ. My 911 with summer rubber is as planted as any vehicle I’ve ever driven in a rainstorm, including when water is washing across the road. Now the mulch I assign to my pickup as I never put anything dirty in my Macans.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I beg to differ. My 911 with summer rubber is as planted as any vehicle I’ve ever driven in a rainstorm, including when water is washing across the road. Now the mulch I assign to my pickup as I never put anything dirty in my Macans.

.... hauled some rock in my wife’s new Land Rover the other day from Lowe’s... butt-pucker moment for sure.

Ok - back on topic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

161 - 180 of 209 Posts