Porsche Macan Forum banner

201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oh man, here we go again. Wish folks would read the existing threads before starting something like this.

So torque vectoring is just something dreamed up by the marketing folks? Sure.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
MODs- why yet another PTV thread?

OP, sounds as if you are not familiar with PTV. It does not make the Macan faster and has nothing to do with drifting.

Always amused when a new forum member comes on and tells everyone else they don’t know what they are talking about:)
i speak what I felt. And what i felt is - no deference on the street

·
Registered
9 Posts
Beg to differ. We own one with and one without and the harder you push the car the more noticeable it is. And it’s operation is not intrusive at all to the point you might not have realized what was happening.

And if you don’t push the car at all, you probably will not notice a difference.

Also, for those who drive in winter conditions, don’t downplay what a difference in traction it can make.
driving on the snow - yes it would make some difference. But good winter tires makes more sense.
every year we do winter clinic with NEC Audi club on the frozen lake . My Macan turbo without PTV on wither tires - hooks up very well on full ice.

·
Registered
317 Posts
driving on the snow - yes it would make some difference. But good winter tires makes more sense.
every year we do winter clinic with NEC Audi club on the frozen lake . My Macan turbo without PTV on wither tires - hooks up very well on full ice.
Winter tires are great. I use them myself. But winter tires combined with PTV is even better.

Limited slip diffs for snow and ice is nothing new. Been around for something like 60 years.

·
Super Moderator
9,986 Posts
Download the parts manual from Porsche. No PTV is an open differential. You will see different part numbers and one will be for the limited slip differential. See section 305-050.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Download the parts manual from Porsche. No PTV is an open differential. You will see different part numbers and one will be for the limited slip differential. See section 305-050.
I'm not sure if this is a reply to me question, but yes I am aware that it takes different differential, but also different programming. Is that something that anyone has done to a non-PTV+ equipped Macan?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don’t think it would be cost effective man. Sure ....it helps exit but other things could be good also. I would prefer better sway bars for instant?

·
Registered
385 Posts
YES, Last summer, I took in my 2016 Targa GTS for service and actually requested a Macan with PTV as a loaner. My 911 was in for three days and I was in the process of selling it and about to order a Macan and wanted to gauge whatever or not to order it. FOR ME, it was not worth the cost, as I was NOT going to toss a Macan GTS around the the block the same way I did the 911 Different driving experience and need! Thats all I got on this subject.
Did you actually have a loaner Macan with PTV, or did the dealer merely tell you that?

Highly unlikely a dealer would have a loaner Macan sitting around with PTV. And how would you know it really had PTV? And how would the person at the dealership who doles out the loaner cars know which ones have PTV, if any?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I test drove with and without - both demos had air/pasm and same wheel/tire setup. Difference in handling at street speeds was noticeable. Felt like turn-in was crisper turning circle tighter. I optioned it and 5+ years later still feels sweet just motoring about in all kinds of weather conditions.

·
Registered
803 Posts
i speak what I felt. And what i felt is - no deference on the street

I just can't help myself becoming the "Grammar Nazi" when I read stuff like this. I presume you mean "difference".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just throwing this into the mix........while PTV+ may be a plus, like many other options, the more complicated something becomes, the more likely it can/will fail or malfunction.

I've driven both with and without PTX. The differences in day-to-day driving is subtle at best and unnecessary. The differences become more apparent on the "track" which I did in Alabama at PTX. But really? Then is should be PTV+911-Macan. Just because you 'can' do it doesn't mean you 'should'.

Where I would argue the value is in snow/mud (not even rain). But how often would this make a difference? Mostly unplowed/deep snow. After that the difference is again negligible. And 100% having better tires become MORE important than PTV+. Best would be both.

But there are also possible downsides......

On our last Cayenne GTS with 5 years we started having issues with the PASM triggering on/off. This would put it in 'limp' mode. It was a bad module. Wasn't a cheap fix. I understand 'anything' can fail but it 100% won't fail if you don't have it LOL.

As I get older (and wiser) I ask about the 'liabilities' ass much as I ask about the "asset".

KISS (keep it stupid simple).

To me when accounting for all this the decision was 'no'. The benefit just simply wasn't enough to make up for the liability. And that doesn't even account for the cost differential.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just throwing this into the mix........while PTV+ may be a plus, like many other options, the more complicated something becomes, the more likely it can/will fail or malfunction.

I've driven both with and without PTX. The differences in day-to-day driving is subtle at best and unnecessary. The differences become more apparent on the "track" which I did in Alabama at PTX. But really? Then is should be PTV+911-Macan. Just because you 'can' do it doesn't mean you 'should'.

Where I would argue the value is in snow/mud (not even rain). But how often would this make a difference? Mostly unplowed/deep snow. After that the difference is again negligible. And 100% having better tires become MORE important than PTV+. Best would be both.

But there are also possible downsides......

On our last Cayenne GTS with 5 years we started having issues with the PASM triggering on/off. This would put it in 'limp' mode. It was a bad module. Wasn't a cheap fix. I understand 'anything' can fail but it 100% won't fail if you don't have it LOL.

As I get older (and wiser) I ask about the 'liabilities' ass much as I ask about the "asset".

KISS (keep it stupid simple).

To me when accounting for all this the decision was 'no'. The benefit just simply wasn't enough to make up for the liability. And that doesn't even account for the cost differential.
If your priority is to keep your transportation more simple, you are probably focusing on the wrong brand. Reminds me of my father not wanting power windows in his Plymouth 50 years ago because he thought it was just something more to go wrong. You might want to consider how few owners with PTV on this forum have had a problem with it. I am not sure there’s even been one.

In any event, all I can say is we own two Macans, one with PTV and one without.

Sure when you are just tooling around town, I can understand someone saying they don’t notice a difference. But even in moderate driving you start to notice the difference, even just taking a corner fast. And in spiriting driving there is no question there is a significant difference.

·
Registered
378 Posts
If your priority is to keep your transportation more simple, you are probably focusing on the wrong brand. Reminds me of my father not wanting power windows in his Plymouth 50 years ago because he thought it was just something more to go wrong. You might want to consider how few owners with PTV on this forum have had a problem with it. I am not sure there’s even been one.

In any event, all I can say is we own two Macans, one with PTV and one without.

Sure when you are just tooling around town, I can understand someone saying they don’t notice a difference. But even in moderate driving you start to notice the difference, even just taking a corner fast. And in spiriting driving there is no question there is a significant difference.
This is a good point and keep in mind, limited slip differentials have been around ages and are pretty **** reliable. Add in an ECU and some brake biasing (no different than stability control) and you've got the entire system...nothing complicated or failure prone.

I ordered PTV on my Macan GTS....and every other performance option other than the PSCB. I want a vehicle that handles as well as it can.

·
Super Moderator
3,350 Posts
For those above who have been discussing PTV, please understand that the Macan does not offer PTV - only PTV+.

Some Boxster and Cayman variants came equipped with PTV - and not PTV+.

The main difference between the two systems is PTV uses a mechanical operation of the diff, while PTV+ uses electronic
control, provide infinite variability.

;)

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
15 Posts
I find myself in the same situation as most members here: I'm about to order a Macan S (PASM Coilovers, Sportchrono, 19" wheels, going to upgrade the latter later down the line), and I'm having last minute doubts about PTV+. Worst thing is, I can't even test drive a Macan right now due to the current world "issue"... All dealers are closed around here until further notice.

Anyway, money aside, here are my questions, hopefully I'm the first one to ask about this:
1/ Some members noted that "it makes the car turn by itself". Does it feel "weird" like having rear wheel steering?
2/ Does it make the steering lighter and less connected to the road? Does it make the car corner too much for the given steering input? In other words, does it feel disconnected?
3/ Could you sum it up as "it just makes the car grip more in the corners"?

Thanks in advance as always!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Anyway, money aside, here are my questions, hopefully I'm the first one to ask about this:
1/ Some members noted that "it makes the car turn by itself". Does it feel "weird" like having rear wheel steering?
2/ Does it make the steering lighter and less connected to the road? Does it make the car corner too much for the given steering input? In other words, does it feel disconnected?
3/ Could you sum it up as "it just makes the car grip more in the corners"?

Thanks in advance as always!
The first time I went around a tight corner in our 2017 GTS, it did feel the the rear end pulled itself around the corner. Got used to it real quickly. Liked it!

I didn’t sense any less connection to the road. More like a feeling of point and shoot.

I would not say a sense of more grip, but rather more control.

My reason for purchase was better grip in winter. Don’t mind at all what it does in summer!!

Reactions: JRB
201 - 220 of 241 Posts