Porsche Macan Forum banner

181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
it makes the car feel more like a Porsche.
You do realize the traditionalists would disagree with you. A "real" Porsche has no nannies like PTV:D

·
Registered
423 Posts
I ordered it on mine. better to have it then not I thought as one may not be able to add it on later. Car handles like a champ and 3 hours in 6 inches of snow driving into Jackson Hole/ All was impressed that was in the car that night. Don't track but frequent the snow often. To me if it is safer and something I can control worth it over 60 months. I do not race around the streets so then most I have is entering the freeway.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I live in snow country and I ordered mine with PTV. Better safe than sorry especially in the unforgiving snow blizzard or LES.

John

·
Registered
249 Posts
Useless, except for the track and maybe snow
Please stop posting misinformation. If you actually took the time to drive a Macan with and without it back to back you would immediately realize you feel the difference in everyday spirited driving. And why do you say "maybe" snow? Have you actually driven a Macan with PTV on snow covered roads, or are you just making it up?

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Mis information? It s my opinion. And yes, I have driven with and without...extensivly and when it came for build time, I left it off. If you like it, good on you, buy it, I didn't like it and thought it was marginal and expensive. MY OPINION. Anything else?

·
Registered
968 Posts
We know your opinion. Just questioning how valid it is to the OP’s question.

The question is is it based merely on your experience with PTV on a 911 (a vehicle substantially unrelated to the Macan) or have you actually driven Macans with and without PTV back to back?

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
YES, Last summer, I took in my 2016 Targa GTS for service and actually requested a Macan with PTV as a loaner. My 911 was in for three days and I was in the process of selling it and about to order a Macan and wanted to gauge whatever or not to order it. FOR ME, it was not worth the cost, as I was NOT going to toss a Macan GTS around the the block the same way I did the 911 Different driving experience and need! Thats all I got on this subject.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My commute could include highways but I choose to take the twisty canyon roads. I opted for PTV+, like it and would order it again.

·
Registered
99 Posts
PTV is mechanical, MT cars. PTV+ is for PDK cars and is sw only.
On the Macan, PTV plus is the only option for torque vectoring so the electronic vs mechanical actuation distinction is not relevant. There are in fact significant mechanical differences between equipped and non-equipped Macans. Perhaps the most significant of those is the presence of a rear locking diff.

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,321 Posts
Clearly, from the very article you link, PTV+ is not software only. As in, you cannot take a Macan with no PTV+ and apply a software update that will add PTV+.

"A Porsche ordered without the PTV or PTV Plus options will have an open differential"

"PTV Plus has an electronically operated diff lock"
Sw only in terms of how the differential locks. I wrote that quick on an iPad vs computer. All tech flows from the 911, usually. From the sit, PTV mechanical rear end is 22% traction alway with MT. PDK, which can be programmed only offers the sw version, fully variable electronically controlling the differential. In other words, you can't get the mechanical version with PDK. It doesn't mean its only sw but that sw controls it. Sorry for that confusion.

Of course there has to be the hardware bits to lock the axle. However, I doubt there has to be hardware bits to do the torque vectoring part, just applying the rear brakes as they apply the brakes "as soon as the steering is turned". This guy was pretty unhappy with PTV+ burning up his PCCBs on a 911 Turbo S Jimmy348 But he did track the car and complained on multiple pcar forums.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just test drove Macan turbo with PTV - that everybody is raving about . There is absolutely no difference. It’s not faster it doesn’t drift through every corner. Not at street speeds. Anyone, who thinks PTV diff is deal breaker, is having hallucinations.

·
Registered
968 Posts
MODs- why yet another PTV thread?

OP, sounds as if you are not familiar with PTV. It does not make the Macan faster and has nothing to do with drifting.

Always amused when a new forum member comes on and tells everyone else they don’t know what they are talking about:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Beg to differ. We own one with and one without and the harder you push the car the more noticeable it is. And it’s operation is not intrusive at all to the point you might not have realized what was happening.

And if you don’t push the car at all, you probably will not notice a difference.

Also, for those who drive in winter conditions, don’t downplay what a difference in traction it can make.

181 - 200 of 209 Posts