Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the collective opinion folks have on Torque Vectoring? ... looks like the system on the Macan selectively applies the brakes (as opposed to having a torque vectoring clutch in the rear diff like some of the newer Audis).

Do those of you that drive hard swear by this option?

Interested in opinions...

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I don't have PTV on mine because it's a daily driver and I live in Southern California and don't track my car . I will tell you that my Macan sans PTV handles fantastically and I can whip it around corners like no tomorrow .

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't have PTV on mine because it's a daily driver and I live in Southern California and don't track my car . I will tell you that my Macan sans PTV handles fantastically and I can whip it around corners like no tomorrow .
I live in SoCal too and I have PTV+. It's my only performance option and I'm glad I have it - not just for day to day handling/cornering, but for occasions where the roads are slick or unstable, you just never know. Having said that...I have to agree with WHT TGR in that the car handles superbly without it and if I didn't have it, I don't think I'd be shedding a lot of tears. I think PTV+ is a good idea for climates that create challenging road conditions and for anyone in those conditions, I think it's an important option to consider.

·
Registered
8,811 Posts
What's the collective opinion folks have on Torque Vectoring? ... looks like the system on the Macan selectively applies the brakes (as opposed to having a torque vectoring clutch in the rear diff like some of the newer Audis).

Do those of you that drive hard swear by this option?

Interested in opinions...
Must have = No
Good to have =Yes .

My car has it . I feel the car which lacks it will drive fine but when the tires wear a bit that's when little things like this get more easily noticed.

Keep in mind that ordering a car means one can place thought into the details but if I needed a car and found an available lot car which did not have it i would not make this option a dealbreaker .

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
PTV+ makes it a more capable handler, period.

I don't have it as I had other higher priorities per budget, but it's a great option and makes an already sporty and capable car even more so.

Imo not a must, but better than not having it. You gotta have at least one performance option on this car, or any Porsche. The question always is: Priorities vs budget.

My only issues with it are in clarity. I prefer to take care of fundamental chassis related performance before delving into nanny performance. What I'm not clear of yet is whether PTV is fundamental or a nanny. I do think it adds a sense of fluidity to a car, a lightness on feet, verified by driving same suspension models without and with it. It does seem to lighten the steering a bit. And how much it might eat at the rear brakes is another curiosity.

Reactions: remgb

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The Porsche Macan Manual places track duty as the last bullet point for the benefits of PTV+. The first three all relate to slippery conditions. It isn't a must have, but I got it. On slippery surfaces, any advantage is a good advantage.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've had it on my last two Porsches. Have it on the Macan. Not a must have, but way ahead of SC, AS, or 20" wheels, IMHO.
I agree, actually I think it should be standard. PTV on a 911, Boxster, Cayman is less important as an option on road use cars than it is for big, heavy 4x4s where the forces of nature cause the inevitable understeer not present in 'proper'0:) sports cars.
The Porsche marketing blurb has shifted its intial emphasis too saying how it how much it helps normal day to day driving, improving steering response in corners generally not just adverse conditions. Note the bit on low speeds too.
Of course it isn't a must have, but if you want your best possible handling Macan, then you should select it.
I am thinking of the GTS when it sees the light of day and if it is not standard, A) I will be amazed and B) It will be the first box I tick, I might even pass up on selecting AS again to have a purer handling experience. Actually @K-A, who I am I kidding, of course I will get AS again, I love it too;)!

Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV Plus)
Sports car makers adore corners. With our technologies, we are forever fanning the flames of the relationship. PTV Plus is an optional system for enhancing both driving dynamics and stability.
Operating in conjunction with an electronically regulated rear differential lock, it works by varying the torque distribution to the rear wheels. When the car is driven into a corner, moderate brake pressure is applied to the inside rear wheel as the situation demands. Consequently, a greater amount of drive force is distributed to the outside rear wheel, inducing an additional rotational pulse (yaw movement) around the vehicle’s vertical axis. The effect is a direct and sporty steering action. And considerable driving pleasure at every twist and turn.
At low and medium vehicle speeds, PTV Plus significantly increases agility and steering precision. At high speeds on the straight, and in fast corners where the wheels threaten to spin, the electronically controlled rear differential lock provides added driving stability. Stability is also improved on road surfaces with varying grip as well as in the wet and snow.
Optional for all Macan models.
Technical Data
Overview Chassis

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I misremembered the Macan manual (mixed it up with my Cayman). This is what is says about PTV+

–– Improved driving stability at higher speeds.
–– Improved driving stability and enhanced lateral acceleration potential during cornering.
–– Considerable improvement in traction, particularly on road surfaces with low friction values.
–– Greater agility, particularly in tight bends.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am a regular track guy (no, not in the Macan). I would list the options as follows (most to least desireable). Having said that, the base Macan S is plenty capable outside the track, and I feel (my opinion) that Porsche Engineers do their best work on the base setup.

1. PTV
2. PASM
3. AS
4. SC, frankly useless

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I am a regular track guy (no, not in the Macan). I would list the options as follows (most to least desireable). Having said that, the base Macan S is plenty capable outside the track, and I feel (my opinion) that Porsche Engineers do their best work on the base setup.

1. PTV
2. PASM
3. AS
4. SC, frankly useless
Another thread on PTV+ !!! (AS and PTV+ are most polarizing discussions in this fourm ;) )

Based on my experience of owning Macan for last 9 months I would surely put PTV+ above PASM... When I initially saw @gordog configuration of PTV+ without PASM, i was surprised, but now I realize he was right on the money...

Even with PASM set in comfort the roll on turns for Macan is minimal... If you ask me, base suspension is plenty good... If you need to upgrade suspension go to AS else just stick with base IMHO...

I constantly hit 0.9gs on exits and I am sure PTV+ has to do with on the rails feeling... And that is where I have most fun. PTV+ helps Macan (4400lbs+) defy physics IMO. In poor weather conditions too PTV+ is a help...

That said, even base Macan is extremely capable...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm just about to sell my DS, and replace it with another of different colour, but otherwise the same basic spec. Mine is on 20's with PASM. It's great.
But my next one will have PTV+ in addition.
I was unsure about spec'ing A/S - because it adds weight 'that still needs to be be turned,' and A/S looses a degree of the road feel - which I prefer to have.
IMO I believe PTV+ might make the largest difference to handling out of all the performance options.
I will report back on this; when I've owed my second DS in a couple of months time. Then I will finally know if it was really worth buying it...
I don't buy a Macan to just potter about in...

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I'm just about to sell my DS, and replace it with another of different colour, but otherwise the same basic spec. Mine is on 20's with PASM. It's great.

But my next one will have PTV+ in addition.

I was unsure about spec'ing A/S - because it adds weight 'that still needs to be be turned,' and A/S looses a degree of the road feel - which I prefer to have.

IMO I believe PTV+ might make the largest difference to handling out of all the performance options.

I will report back on this; when I've owed my second DS in a couple of months time. Then I will finally know if it was really worth buying it...

I don't buy a Macan to just potter about in...

In Low/Sport+ there is plenty of road feel. Any more and it'd be harsh, imo. Raising it to Normal makes a very substantial difference in road feel (filters everything out a ton). It only adds about 30 lbs and that's at the lowest point of the vehicle. Much more tactful places to save weight (like sunroof :D).

·
Registered
25 Posts
so can we conclude PTV helps reduce dreaded understeer?

·
Registered
218 Posts
so can we conclude PTV helps reduce dreaded understeer?
Yes.

I could definitely feel the PTV+ kicking in when I do hard 90 degree turns. This is how I achieved this without skidding:

It also helps a bit when I forget I shouldn't drive a 400 HP sports CUV in the rainy Pacfic Northwest with hard turns:D

To the OP, as everyone else says, it's very nice to have, but not a must.

·
Registered
8,811 Posts
I'm a very good driver so I don't need Gizmos to keep me on the road.
I guess I won't use a washing machine to launder my clothes . After all i can wash them by hand . Or a calculator to do long division when all I really need is a pencil and paper because I am so good at math.

Look .. Porsche took the direction of installing "gizmos" into their modern cars . This is their step into what they view as driving efficiency . They have taken the departure from simplicity found in their earlier cars .I don't feel a person needs PTV on his daily driver but I also don't feel he is any more or less of a driver without it .

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Picked up car yesterday in Leipzig. Have PTV and would do it again. Drove back to back cars with and without and appreciated difference.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Thkemp, congratulations ! One question. Did you now equip the Le Baron with PTV also ? :)

Enjoy your trip and safe travels .

1 - 20 of 209 Posts