Porsche Macan Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
This is a timely post. I am in a similar situation. Dealer pricing in my area (NY Tri-State) on very low mile GTS's is not making it easy. I have decided I want to buy a GTS it is just a matter of new or CPO. I have some specific must have features. My local dealer where I have a purchase history will give me a 6% discount on a new order and they have one available that is changeable up to April 8.

My ideal build ends up being about $80k so the sales price would be about $75k. I found a very nice CPO 2.5 hours from me with all options I want plus about 5k more that I would not order. It has 3k miles and looks super clean. None of the options are deal breakers but they are just items I will never use like Nav and Connect Plus for example. The warrant clock was punched exactly one year ago so the warranty is basically 5 years, unlimited miles.
The CPO price is coincidentally $75k from an original MSRP of about 85k so the discount is 12% from original MSRP. I offered 15% under MSRP but they are firm on the car. They won't budge at all.
Am am picky about used cars. They need to be very clean for me to consider especially at this price. I think the probability that this car is mint and that I would be satisfied is very high but I really wish is was closer so I could inspect it first. I am not sure I want to blow a day going to see this car.

The other option of course is to order a car to my spec. I have time so that is not an issue. It really comes down to the value of that CPO vs. the true new car experience. I do plan to keep the car for a while so there is a chance I will get the value out of CPO. Based on my mileage, the new warranty would last me about 3 years where the CPO would last me 5 years.

So there is my story with one example of a dealer that won't haggle at all. I am open to suggestions on my good dilemma of new vs CPO.
If they won't budge then you know you are getting the best price. Someone that maybe tried harder or whatever wouldn't get a lower price and isn't that what you want - just knowing you are not overpaying?

As far as investing a day to go look at the car I think you may be sorry if you don't go - I've read some terrible stories here about dents that didn't show up in the photos.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I've often wondered how Waze is able to show maps when my phone has no cell service. My experience is that it will tell you it is unable to calculate a route, but yet it still does show a map of where you are. Interesting topic.
Not when you go off their embedded maps. I live in the Seattle area. I am in Duluth MN driving to Superior WI. I got shut off midway over the bridge connecting the two.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Different technology: cell phone vs. satellite

·
Registered
24 Posts
I contacted the dealer in CO and they mentioned that the owner ran into the curb and they had to have two left tires replaced. Sounds like that'd be pretty minor? They said they couldn't send me a report unless the request came from the existing owner (CA dealership) so I'd imagine I'd have to have them pull it...

If already there and have time - that'd be greatly appreciated!
I looked at the car this morning. It is not ready for sale as yet and needs a complete detail but overall looked to be in excellent condition. I could not see any door dings or major scratches. The front end and mirror caps have had paint protection film applied and the paint under appeared clean. It was somewhat difficult to see as the car is quite dirty. The interior and seats looked little used.
If you haven't spoken with a salesperson at the dealer yet ask for John Bassett. He helped us with our Macan and did a nice job. Of course as others have mentioned, dealers usually won't budge on CPO pricing. My wife, the better negotiator in my house, was only able to extract a set of all-weather floor mats in our transaction :cool:.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I looked at the car this morning. It is not ready for sale as yet and needs a complete detail but overall looked to be in excellent condition. I could not see any door dings or major scratches. The front end and mirror caps have had paint protection film applied and the paint under appeared clean. It was somewhat difficult to see as the car is quite dirty. The interior and seats looked little used.
If you haven't spoken with a salesperson at the dealer yet ask for John Bassett. He helped us with our Macan and did a nice job. Of course as others have mentioned, dealers usually won't budge on CPO pricing. My wife, the better negotiator in my house, was only able to extract a set of all-weather floor mats in our transaction :cool:.
View attachment 229370 View attachment 229371 View attachment 229372 View attachment 229373 View attachment 229374
Thanks! Appreciate it. When you say interior / seats looked a little used was there anything specific that you noticed? In the pics on the dealer site the driver seat looks like the leather is giving in a little bit from the butt / wallet impression

Even in the pics, it looks like it needs a detail (looks dirty)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't notice that but you can see how dirty the window is in the shot so it was hard to see. The car was out in the back of the lot and locked so I couldn't get inside.

·
Registered
76 Posts
View attachment 229370 View attachment 229371 View attachment 229372 View attachment 229373 View attachment 229374
Been exchanging emails with a SA I spoke to on the phone but he has been very slow to respond. Would be happy to contact your SA and see if he is more motivated to connect.

Happy to mention your name if you'd like when I contact him.

·
Registered
2019 Macan S | Volcano grey metallic on black
12 Posts
Just heard back from a dealer regarding a car with 8k miles.
Did this dealer say anything to you about how to get it CPO it would be $3,000 plus whatever work would be needed on the car to get it certified? That is what I was told today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That seems odd.....
yes $3,000 for the CPO but the buyer doesn't pay for the fixes
Yeah exactly. I thought that those fixes would be on the dealer’s dime to be able to properly advertise it as CPO. Told I was flat out wrong by Porsche Annapolis in MD.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Well..... I bought a CPO and just paid a price....

Perhaps if you are requesting/asking for/demanding a CPO it's a different story

Keep hunting for one already CPO'ed........no 'fix fees'

·
Super Moderator
2,190 Posts
It's pretty likely I have already posted this link in this thread. I cannot seem to find how to
search for just my posts in just this thread so, at the risk of a duplicate posting, I am posting
it (possibly again).

It seems to me either a Macan is for sale CPO or not CPO. The price should be set ahead of time
(the posting of the vehicle for sale).

If it is not CPO, and the buyer wants it to be CPO and it qualifies to be CPO, then a dealer may ask
the buyer to cover the cost of certifying the car. May - or may not.

In the link is a discussion of the approximate cost to a dealer to certify a Porsche as CPO. It's not free.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd imagine that folks looking for a CPO / Porsche in the current environment may be able to get a sweeter deal given the COVID-19 impact on economy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's pretty likely I have already posted this link in this thread. I cannot seem to find how to
search for just my posts in just this thread so, at the risk of a duplicate posting, I am posting
it (possibly again).

It seems to me either a Macan is for sale CPO or not CPO. The price should be set ahead of time
(the posting of the vehicle for sale).

If it is not CPO, and the buyer wants it to be CPO and it qualifies to be CPO, then a dealer may ask
the buyer to cover the cost of certifying the car. May - or may not.

In the link is a discussion of the approximate cost to a dealer to certify a Porsche as CPO. It's not free.

This was an awesome read. Thank you.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I went through something similar when I was shopping. i have owned three CPO'd Porsches. Other brands are handled a litte differently. It's picky but here is how it was explained:.

If the car is CPO'd, the dealer has made sure it it brought to that standard. They should not "remove" the CPO or anything, or use the CPO status as a bargaining chip. If they do, call Porsche NA and tell them what is going on. That is a big no no.

If the car is not CPO'd, and offered for sale, you may inquire about getting the CPO added, but that might mean addiitonal cost outside the whatever the CPO costs by itself. The ballpark cost for CPO'ing a car is around 2700 give or take a few hundred.

If you're going to argue over $200, for a potentially $40,000+ vehicle, it might not be the best option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went through something similar when I was shopping. i have owned three CPO'd Porsches. Other brands are handled a litte differently. It's picky but here is how it was explained:.

If the car is CPO'd, the dealer has made sure it it brought to that standard. They should not "remove" the CPO or anything, or use the CPO status as a bargaining chip. If they do, call Porsche NA and tell them what is going on. That is a big no no.

If the car is not CPO'd, and offered for sale, you may inquire about getting the CPO added, but that might mean addiitonal cost outside the whatever the CPO costs by itself. The ballpark cost for CPO'ing a car is around 2700 give or take a few hundred.

If you're going to argue over $200, for a potentially $40,000+ vehicle, it might not be the best option.
Yes not arguing over $200, but wasn’t excited about potentially paying 5-10 thousand dollars to get a car CPO’d plus repaired.

better to just find one that is already being sold as CPO.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts