Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Keep looking. This is Macan 'light'. You need air suspension, heated steering wheel, trailer hitch, just a ton of options not shown here. Bay area cars need top rails and ski racks to get to Tahoe. You can do better.
it does have heated steering wheel and roof rails according to the build sheet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It appears to be a single owner vehicle - possibly the owner had a place in FL as well as CO. The car seems to have spent the winters in FL - Look at the service dates on the CarFax - winter service in FL....

As far as the damage goes call the dealer in CO and see what they say about the damage. cars that have been in accidents can be CPO’ed if the damage is not to extensive. Here’s the criteria - I pulled that off the CPO report from my car.

The damage may have been something minor like a bump in the parking lot.

View attachment 229220

here’s the build sheet.

IMO its not a bad build - if this is the car you really want make sure the damage was absolutely minimal and document and then use the reported damage to negotiate a better price - if they won’t deal move on as there’s plenty of Macans out there for sale.
Will the dealership that has the car (in CA) be able to pull / provide details on the damage or do I have to contact the dealer in CO

·
Registered
306 Posts
Will the dealership that has the car (in CA) be able to pull / provide details on the damage or do I have to contact the dealer in CO
I’d contact the dealer in CO as they are the selling dealer and serviced the car - the dates from the damage and the final service on the at CO dealer are very close so they’d have more insight IMO.

if this really is the car you want get a PPI to see what extent the car was damaged.

It’s also a bit strange that the CarFAx doesn’t indicate what happened to the car after it was turned in at the end of the lease - was it sold at auction ? How did it end up in CA ?

I just looked at the AutoCheck site for this car and there‘s no damage indicated.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd certainly get the history on the car as well as PPI if it's a serious candidate for purchase. I personally would not buy an auction car, as usually less desirable vehicles end up at auction.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’d contact the dealer in CO as they are the selling dealer and serviced the car - the dates from the damage and the final service on the at CO dealer are very close so they’d have more insight IMO.

if this really is the car you want get a PPI to see what extent the car was damaged.

It’s also a bit strange that the CarFAx doesn’t indicate what happened to the car after it was turned in at the end of the lease - was it sold at auction ? How did it end up in CA ?

I just looked at the AutoCheck site for this car and there‘s no damage indicated.

I'd certainly get the history on the car as well as PPI if it's a serious candidate for purchase. I personally would not buy an auction car, as usually less desirable vehicles end up at auction.
I called the dealer nearby in CA that has the car in possession (the dealer in CO is closed today) and asked the questions:

1. Any details on the damage?
They said they don't have any additional information as it wasn't a reported accident. They mentioned it could just be minor damage from parking lot or something but asked me to rest assured as it is a CPO and if there was anything structural or significant, they would not certify the car
2. Where did the car come from?
No history in Carfax on how it made its way to CA. Sales advisor I spoke to on the phone said that it's just a lease return and they Porsche Financial.

I'll call the dealer in CO during the week when I have time to see if they have any additional information and that they can also just confirm the following points above.

Assuming the car is perfectly fine (cosmetic or minor damage per report that has been fixed) and that I don't desire any additional options. What do you guys think would be a fair price for this car OTD? I feel like I've seen this one listed for at least a month or two.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I called the dealer nearby in CA that has the car in possession (the dealer in CO is closed today) and asked the questions:

1. Any details on the damage?
They said they don't have any additional information as it wasn't a reported accident. They mentioned it could just be minor damage from parking lot or something but asked me to rest assured as it is a CPO and if there was anything structural or significant, they would not certify the car
2. Where did the car come from?
No history in Carfax on how it made its way to CA. Sales advisor I spoke to on the phone said that it's just a lease return and they Porsche Financial.

I'll call the dealer in CO during the week when I have time to see if they have any additional information and that they can also just confirm the following points above.

Assuming the car is perfectly fine (cosmetic or minor damage per report that has been fixed) and that I don't desire any additional options. What do you guys think would be a fair price for this car OTD? I feel like I've seen this one listed for at least a month or two.
1 - they’re response was pretty vague. If I were the SA and I had a serious buyer looking my response would be “ let me look into that for you and see what I can find out.

2 - im Pretty sure there has to be some form of paper trail on the car got from CO to CA.

Their pricing seems to be inline for that region. I looked on the Porsche Locator and theres not many Macan S’s within 200 miles of you. Possibly open up your search area and look for a deal. If this really is the car you WANT / NEED - offer $2,500 less than asking OTD not including taxes ( it’s been 16 years since I lived in the Bay Area so not sure what the tax is now but it’s pretty substantial).

As a data point I picked up my CPO 2017 S with 45K miles for $41,500 OTD plus NJ tax 6 months ago. I did buy and trade in 6 cars with that dealership network in the past 4 years so i have a great relationship with them -mthey know when I walk in the door they’re selling me a car.

a few other notes:

dealers don’t negotiate too much on CPO cars.

there was no mention of the timing cover oil leak or transfer case issues ever being addressed on this car - ask about that when you speak to the CO dealer.

Make sure you get written documentation of the end date on the CPO for this car - should be sometime in 2023.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1 - they’re response was pretty vague. If I were the SA and I had a serious buyer looking my response would be “ let me look into that for you and see what I can find out.

2 - im Pretty sure there has to be some form of paper trail on the car got from CO to CA.

Their pricing seems to be inline for that region. I looked on the Porsche Locator and theres not many Macan S’s within 200 miles of you. Possibly open up your search area and look for a deal. If this really is the car you WANT / NEED - offer $2,500 less than asking OTD not including taxes ( it’s been 16 years since I lived in the Bay Area so not sure what the tax is now but it’s pretty substantial).

As a data point I picked up my CPO 2017 S with 45K miles for $41,500 OTD plus NJ tax 6 months ago. I did buy and trade in 6 cars with that dealership network in the past 4 years so i have a great relationship with them -mthey know when I walk in the door they’re selling me a car.

a few other notes:

dealers don’t negotiate too much on CPO cars.

there was no mention of the timing cover oil leak or transfer case issues ever being addressed on this car - ask about that when you speak to the CO dealer.

Make sure you get written documentation of the end date on the CPO for this car - should be sometime in 2023.

Appreciate the thoughtful response and tips - awesome part of connecting with enthusiast communities. I'm part of a watch forum and the vibe is very much similar there.

Definitely don't NEED a car as I have a 2013 528i in good condition (< 60K mi) that I've owned for a few years... But I've been on and off again toying with the idea of buying switching cars for a change of pace.

I need to make some time to get out to the dealer and actually test drive and feel the difference between the Base and the S. Leaning towards S just to have that additional power, but a friend who owns a Base said that it is enough power for him (I need to go and see if that is true for myself). I have seen 2018 CPO base models with <10k mileage and some options that are in SoCal that are asking price ~43K. Example: Certified Pre-Owned 2018 Porsche Macan, Agate Grey Metallic,

What do you mean timing cover oil leak / transfer case issues?
Also - the SA emailed me info on the car stated that the warranty was good until Jan 20203 with unlimited mileage.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I need to make some time to get out to the dealer and actually test drive and feel the difference between the Base and the S. Leaning towards S just to have that additional power, but a friend who owns a Base said that it is enough power for him (I need to go and see if that is true for myself).
Base is under-powered IMO. C'mon - it's a Porsche ;-)

I have seen 2018 CPO base models with <10k mileage and some options that are in SoCal that are asking price ~43K. Example: Certified Pre-Owned 2018 Porsche Macan, Agate Grey Metallic,
That one's a base Macan. You need to check the VIN to see what the original MSRP is for the spec. As you may know, options change the price of Porsche's considerably - much more so than most other brands.

What do you mean timing cover oil leak / transfer case issues?
Search those terms in this forum. There are multiple threads on these issues.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another one. This stayed local - 1 year older than the original posted vehicle and more miles. $5k lower asking ... Thoughts?

2016 CPO Macan S

Original build: $68,810
Asking price: $41,911
Mileage: 38,105

BASE - Macan S
1NP - Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest 6H1 - Side Blades in Exterior Color
7X8 - ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera 7Y1 - Lane Change Assist (LCA)
9JB - Smoking Package
9VL - Bose Surround Sound System
C7T - 21" 911 Turbo Design Wheels
G1D - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
N0 - Agate Grey Metallic
PE5 - Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
PJ1 - Infotainment Package
PJ3 - Premium Package Plus
PP8 - Comfort Lighting Package
QJ4 - Window Trim in Black (High-Gloss)
VC - Standard Interior in Black

Carfax: CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2016 PORSCHE MACAN S: WP1AB2A51GLB56320

·
Registered
153 Posts
Another one. This stayed local - 1 year older than the original posted vehicle and more miles. $5k lower asking ... Thoughts?

2016 CPO Macan S

Original build: $68,810
Asking price: $41,911
Mileage: 38,105

BASE - Macan S
1NP - Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest 6H1 - Side Blades in Exterior Color
7X8 - ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Reversing Camera 7Y1 - Lane Change Assist (LCA)
9JB - Smoking Package
9VL - Bose
Surround Sound System
C7T - 21" 911 Turbo Design Wheels
G1D - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
N0 - Agate Grey Metallic
PE5 - Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
PJ1 - Infotainment Package
PJ3 - Premium Package Plus
PP8 - Comfort Lighting Package
QJ4 - Window Trim in Black (High-Gloss)
VC - Standard Interior in Black

Carfax: CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2016 PORSCHE MACAN S: WP1AB2A51GLB56320
California cars typically command higher pricing because of the good weather. You may see much lower pricing from used East coast cars because snow/salt really wears on the vehicle.
For myself, I'd be wary of "smoking package" on cars because I would never buy a pre-owned car that was smoked in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
California cars typically command higher pricing because of the good weather. You may see much lower pricing from used East coast cars because snow/salt really wears on the vehicle.
For myself, I'd be wary of "smoking package" on cars because I would never buy a pre-owned car that was smoked in.
Same as FLA or Georgia...

Smokers package is bought by many who don't smoke.....
Lots of posts on that here somewhere
Yeah I don't have any issues with the car having the option. If upon checking out the vehicle it smells bad or appears to have been smoked in - I'd walk away.

Any thoughts on build / price of this vehicle compared the one in the original post?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Before comparing builds my suggestion is for you to make the time and get to a dealer that has a Base Macan, Sport Edition and an S in stock. Make an appointment and have the SA line up all 3 cars and road test each one.

After the road test take your time in the car to see if it’s comfortable for you, if the controls, buttons, radio etc are “ liveable for you.

Once you decide what trim level is good for you the you can really start comparison shopping between individual cars.

Options on Porsche‘s can be confusing - make a ” MUST HAVE LIST “ on what’s important to you in your daily driving And you can then really begin to focus your search. Speak to the SA and let him know what options are must have options and hopefully he can help you narrow your search.

Here‘s the build sheet for my car and it pretty much has everythin to make my daily commute and road trips comfortable, the only thing I wish my car had was CarPlay but I can live with out it. I bought my Macan relatively cheap to see if I liked Porsche SUV’s and now that I’m “ hooked “ I’ve decided to start looking for a Macan Turbo.

these are just my suggestions and hopefully they help you narrow your search down.

On my build I could live without the torque vectoring and the voice control.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Appreciate the input!

This is one of the better priced and optioned Macans I've found in CA. But the fact it has records in both Colorado and Florida in addition to the damage reported is off-putting...
I see this car is at Porsche of Monterey. I'll be down there Friday (14th) to get my clock replaced (second hand fell off :confused:). I'd be happy to take a look at it for you if you'd like. At least get an idea of the car's appearance. Let me know.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I see this car is at Porsche of Monterey. I'll be down there Friday (14th) to get my clock replaced (second hand fell off :confused:). I'd be happy to take a look at it for you if you'd like. At least get an idea of the car's appearance. Let me know.
Lol. I saw the second hand fall off on another Macan as well. Is this a common occurrence? Can they fix this or does it require complete replacement?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lol. I saw the second hand fall off on another Macan as well. Is this a common occurrence? Can they fix this or does it require complete replacement?
Apparently they replace it. I've seen other threads on this here so I guess it's not unusual. If out of warrant it can get pricey.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Options on Porsche‘s can be confusing - make a ” MUST HAVE LIST “ on what’s important to you in your daily driving And you can then really begin to focus your search.
This is brilliant advice - and very true. I made a list prior to ordering last month, and it made for a much smoother process. It's ridiculously easy to get carried away with the abundance of options, and thus, organisation is definitely your friend in these situations.

·
Registered
76 Posts

I contacted the dealer in CO and they mentioned that the owner ran into the curb and they had to have two left tires replaced. Sounds like that'd be pretty minor? They said they couldn't send me a report unless the request came from the existing owner (CA dealership) so I'd imagine I'd have to have them pull it...

If already there and have time - that'd be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I contacted the dealer in CO and they mentioned that the owner ran into the curb and they had to have two left tires replaced. Sounds like that'd be pretty minor? They said they couldn't send me a report unless the request came from the existing owner (CA dealership) so I'd imagine I'd have to have them pull it...

If already there and have time - that'd be greatly appreciated!
Definitely get the report from the CA dealer, inspect the wheels,closely for curb rash, check to see that the tires are the same brand and have equal tread depths - the front pair should be equal and the rear tread depth should be equal. I’d measure at 3 points across each tire to see that there’s equal wear across each tire.

Test driver the car to confirm that the alignment is good and also make sure the steering wheel is centered.

See if they can do an alignment report for you.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts