Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I would like to first THANK all the senior members who have been very active and giving valuable information to a lot of new members. This forum has abundant valuable information on Macans. You guys are awesome!
I will be in the market for a used Macan (first Porsche) in a few months. I'm doing research on which one to buy and am tending towards a Macan GTS or a Macan Turbo. I'm pretty much open on a Macan GTS, but if i cannot find one in my budget, am falling towards a Macan Turbo (ME 15, 16) with the following MUST Haves:
1: PASM ( Air is a bonus)
2: Sports Exhaust
3: Park assistance ( front and rear)
4: LCA.

I know we can expect 6%-8% discount on a new macan. If we are buying Used, is there room for negotiations? if so how much? As always your inputs are much appreciated!.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just purchased a CPO 2017 Macan GTS so I can provide a datapoint. Remember that I'm in CA where discounts are not as great as in other parts of the country. I purchased a vehicle with under 2k miles (so virtually new), CPO, and got a 14% discount from initial MSRP. The dealer had the car listed at 10.7% discount so obviously, they were willing to deal some on it. Initial MSRP on the vehicle was almost $92k though which means it was very loaded and at a price point where it was competing with respectably loaded brand new GTS's. Separately, I was looking at a 2017 Executive Demo car that was being sold as new also for a 14% discount from MSRP. That car had over 7k miles on it. This dealer moved a little over 1% when I was negotiating with him but since the car wasn't ideal, I needed him to move more than that and he was unwilling to do so. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i got 20% discount off of the $64K msrp on a base 2017 with 8k miles and the CPO which adds a lot of warrantee...car still smelled new to me and i ended up with a car with a lot of options that i would not have ordered because of cost...the car is awesome and more then i expected...find myself taking longer ways home because it makes you just want to drive...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just purchased a CPO 2017 Macan GTS so I can provide a datapoint. Remember that I'm in CA where discounts are not as great as in other parts of the country. I purchased a vehicle with under 2k miles (so virtually new), CPO, and got a 14% discount from initial MSRP. The dealer had the car listed at 10.7% discount so obviously, they were willing to deal some on it. Initial MSRP on the vehicle was almost $92k though which means it was very loaded and at a price point where it was competing with respectably loaded brand new GTS's. Separately, I was looking at a 2017 Executive Demo car that was being sold as new also for a 14% discount from MSRP. That car had over 7k miles on it. This dealer moved a little over 1% when I was negotiating with him but since the car wasn't ideal, I needed him to move more than that and he was unwilling to do so. Hope this helps.
So, from the CPO price listed, you were able to get further 3.3%?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got 20% discount off of the $64K msrp on a base 2017 with 8k miles and the CPO which adds a lot of warrantee...car still smelled new to me and i ended up with a car with a lot of options that i would not have ordered because of cost...the car is awesome and more then i expected...find myself taking longer ways home because it makes you just want to drive...
this is a good discount. the $64K MSRP was the CPO price or the New car MSPR?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, from the CPO price listed, you were able to get further 3.3%?
That is correct. This amounted to about $3k off their asking price. I would think that a dealer always expects to negotiate down from asking price on a pre-owned vehicle. In the end, rather than try to drag things out and maybe get another $1k off, I figured I was close enough and getting a bunch of options for free vs. the custom order that I was planning to do which would have cost me about the same amount. I posted this previously but what I ended up getting:

Options I definitely wanted:
2ZH Steering Wheel Heating
4D3 Seat Ventilation (Front)
7UG Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module
7Y7 Lane Change Assist (LCA)
8A4 ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Surround View
9JB Smoking Package
IV1 Porsche Car Connect Plus
PE5 Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package - (18-way would have been fine)
PJ8 Premium Package Plus
QR5 Sport Chrono Package i.c.w. PCM
VK Leather Interior in Black

Bonuses I got for buying this specific vehicle:
1Y1 Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)
3S5 Roof Rails in Black
5MH Carbon Fiber Interior Package
6FB SportDesign Side Mirrors
6H1 Side Blades in Exterior Color
8EY LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
8T3 Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
AZW Extended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim in Leather
FI2 Seat Belts in Garnet Red
QH1 Voice Control
VT2 Door-Sill Guards in Brushed Aluminum, Illuminated
VW5 Thermally and Noise Insulating Privacy Glass

+ I got the extended warranty that goes along with a CPO.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sounds like a nice deal on a virtually new GTS with CPO warranty (esp in CA!) -- provided you were happy with all the options and weren't buying stuff you didn't really want.
Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow... getting PTV+ as an option is awesome.. I'm tending towards your build.. Hopefully when i look for one, i get a PTV+ as well :D.

That is correct. This amounted to about $3k off their asking price. I would think that a dealer always expects to negotiate down from asking price on a pre-owned vehicle. In the end, rather than try to drag things out and maybe get another $1k off, I figured I was close enough and getting a bunch of options for free vs. the custom order that I was planning to do which would have cost me about the same amount. I posted this previously but what I ended up getting:

Options I definitely wanted:
2ZH Steering Wheel Heating
4D3 Seat Ventilation (Front)
7UG Porsche Communication Management (PCM) incl. Navigation Module
7Y7 Lane Change Assist (LCA)
8A4 ParkAssist (Front and Rear) with Surround View
9JB Smoking Package
IV1 Porsche Car Connect Plus
PE5 Power Seats (14-way) with Memory Package - (18-way would have been fine)
PJ8 Premium Package Plus
QR5 Sport Chrono Package i.c.w. PCM
VK Leather Interior in Black

Bonuses I got for buying this specific vehicle:
1Y1 Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)
3S5 Roof Rails in Black
5MH Carbon Fiber Interior Package
6FB SportDesign Side Mirrors
6H1 Side Blades in Exterior Color
8EY LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
8T3 Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
AZW Extended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim in Leather
FI2 Seat Belts in Garnet Red
QH1 Voice Control
VT2 Door-Sill Guards in Brushed Aluminum, Illuminated
VW5 Thermally and Noise Insulating Privacy Glass

+ I got the extended warranty that goes along with a CPO.

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is a timely post. I am in a similar situation. Dealer pricing in my area (NY Tri-State) on very low mile GTS's is not making it easy. I have decided I want to buy a GTS it is just a matter of new or CPO. I have some specific must have features. My local dealer where I have a purchase history will give me a 6% discount on a new order and they have one available that is changeable up to April 8.

My ideal build ends up being about $80k so the sales price would be about $75k. I found a very nice CPO 2.5 hours from me with all options I want plus about 5k more that I would not order. It has 3k miles and looks super clean. None of the options are deal breakers but they are just items I will never use like Nav and Connect Plus for example. The warrant clock was punched exactly one year ago so the warranty is basically 5 years, unlimited miles. The CPO price is coincidentally $75k from an original MSRP of about 85k so the discount is 12% from original MSRP. I offered 15% under MSRP but they are firm on the car. They won't budge at all.

Am am picky about used cars. They need to be very clean for me to consider especially at this price. I think the probability that this car is mint and that I would be satisfied is very high but I really wish is was closer so I could inspect it first. I am not sure I want to blow a day going to see this car.

The other option of course is to order a car to my spec. I have time so that is not an issue. It really comes down to the value of that CPO vs. the true new car experience. I do plan to keep the car for a while so there is a chance I will get the value out of CPO. Based on my mileage, the new warranty would last me about 3 years where the CPO would last me 5 years.

So there is my story with one example of a dealer that won't haggle at all. I am open to suggestions on my good dilemma of new vs CPO.

·
Super Moderator
2,190 Posts
Hello All,
I would like to first THANK all the senior members who have been very active and giving valuable information to a lot of new members. This forum has abundant valuable information on Macans. You guys are awesome!
I will be in the market for a used Macan (first Porsche) in a few months. I'm doing research on which one to buy and am tending towards a Macan GTS or a Macan Turbo. I'm pretty much open on a Macan GTS, but if i cannot find one in my budget, am falling towards a Macan Turbo (ME 15, 16) with the following MUST Haves:
1: PASM ( Air is a bonus)
2: Sports Exhaust
3: Park assistance ( front and rear)
4: LCA.

I know we can expect 6%-8% discount on a new macan. If we are buying Used, is there room for negotiations? if so how much? As always your inputs are much appreciated!.

FWIW, PASM is standard on a Turbo - the remaining items are all optional - at least as far as the S and Turbo models
(air suspension, sports exhaust, park assist and lane change assist)

I believe CPO is the way to go as the biggest depreciation occurs in the first year or two. If you can find a low mileage
'15 or '16 with the options you want, it'll likely be priced competitively - and carry the 6 year/100K warranty, which you
can pass along in a private sale, should you decide to sell in the future.

Good luck!

;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I believe CPO is the way to go as the biggest depreciation occurs in the first year or two. If you can find a low mileage
'15 or '16 with the options you want, it'll likely be priced competitively - and carry the 6 year/100K warranty, which you
can pass along in a private sale, should you decide to sell in the future.
Just to clarify, my understanding is that the Porsche CPO warranty is +2 years and unlimited miles on top of the original warranty and starting from the original in-service date. So for a '15 or'16 that probably has an in-service date of '14 or '15, there may be little or nothing left on the original warranty so in effect the CPO warranty will be more like 2-3 years and unlimited miles. This is still great but probably not long enough to pass on to another owner unless one flips cars often.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just to clarify, my understanding is that the Porsche CPO warranty is +2 years and unlimited miles on top of the original warranty and starting from the original in-service date. So for a '15 or'16 that probably has an in-service date of '14 or '15, there may be little or nothing left on the original warranty so in effect the CPO warranty will be more like 2-3 years and unlimited miles. This is still great but probably not long enough to pass on to another owner unless one flips cars often.

+1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
There's 2 options for CPO warranty. Up to 6 years or 100k miles from original service date, or 2 years or 50k miles from date of sale, not exceeding 100k miles.

As far as discounts, I had a 2015 turbo CPO with 6700 miles msrp 92k+ purchased in dec 2015 for 74k. so about a 20% discount, but I think they were trying to move it.

Unfortunately, this is what it looks like now. https://www.copart.com/lot/24265008

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to see your macan this way ..:(
There's 2 options for CPO warranty. Up to 6 years or 100k miles from original service date, or 2 years or 50k miles from date of sale, not exceeding 100k miles.

As far as discounts, I had a 2015 turbo CPO with 6700 miles msrp 92k+ purchased in dec 2015 for 74k. so about a 20% discount, but I think they were trying to move it.

Unfortunately, this is what it looks like now. https://www.copart.com/lot/24265008

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not seeing much price difference for a GTS in Porsche's website. I do see well equipped '15 Turbos for a good price.. While, I'm more inclined on a GTS (after reading lots of posts here), i might give a Turbo a try.. if it has my Must haves and mebbe a PTV+... planning to wait till summer, when the 2019 models come in...

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a timely post. I am in a similar situation. Dealer pricing in my area (NY Tri-State) on very low mile GTS's is not making it easy. I have decided I want to buy a GTS it is just a matter of new or CPO. I have some specific must have features. My local dealer where I have a purchase history will give me a 6% discount on a new order and they have one available that is changeable up to April 8.

My ideal build ends up being about $80k so the sales price would be about $75k. I found a very nice CPO 2.5 hours from me with all options I want plus about 5k more that I would not order. It has 3k miles and looks super clean. None of the options are deal breakers but they are just items I will never use like Nav and Connect Plus for example. The warrant clock was punched exactly one year ago so the warranty is basically 5 years, unlimited miles. The CPO price is coincidentally $75k from an original MSRP of about 85k so the discount is 12% from original MSRP. I offered 15% under MSRP but they are firm on the car. They won't budge at all.

Am am picky about used cars. They need to be very clean for me to consider especially at this price. I think the probability that this car is mint and that I would be satisfied is very high but I really wish is was closer so I could inspect it first. I am not sure I want to blow a day going to see this car.

The other option of course is to order a car to my spec. I have time so that is not an issue. It really comes down to the value of that CPO vs. the true new car experience. I do plan to keep the car for a while so there is a chance I will get the value out of CPO. Based on my mileage, the new warranty would last me about 3 years where the CPO would last me 5 years.

So there is my story with one example of a dealer that won't haggle at all. I am open to suggestions on my good dilemma of new vs CPO.
Sonorous, you're pretty much where I was a couple weeks ago. My ideal new build was coming in around the same price as my CPO with a bunch of extras - high $70's. I labored over the decision for a long time but fortunately had a brother who lives 2 miles from the dealer who could check out the CPO vehicle for me (I was 6 hours away). Ultimately, I decided to go for the CPO because I expect to keep the car for 10+ years so why not get a bunch of extra options for "free" + an extension on the warranty. After a month or two, a new build or the CPO will be equally "used". It is true that some of the features I get very little or no personal value from (red seat belts, insulated window tint, door-sill guards) and likely have no payback on resale but I did get some nice add-ons like PTV, ACC, SportDesign Mirrors that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten on my spec vehicle. And resale is never really a concern for me anyway since I keep my cars so long that I almost have to beg someone to take them from me (previous car was bought in 2004).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sonorous, you're pretty much where I was a couple weeks ago. My ideal new build was coming in around the same price as my CPO with a bunch of extras - high $70's. I labored over the decision for a long time but fortunately had a brother who lives 2 miles from the dealer who could check out the CPO vehicle for me (I was 6 hours away). Ultimately, I decided to go for the CPO because I expect to keep the car for 10+ years so why not get a bunch of extra options for "free" + an extension on the warranty. After a month or two, a new build or the CPO will be equally "used". It is true that some of the features I get very little or no personal value from (red seat belts, insulated window tint, door-sill guards) and likely have no payback on resale but I did get some nice add-ons like PTV, ACC, SportDesign Mirrors that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten on my spec vehicle. And resale is never really a concern for me anyway since I keep my cars so long that I almost have to beg someone to take them from me (previous car was bought in 2004).
Thanks for your input. It is sound advice. I might just go for a little road trip today.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you're looking for a CPO 15-16 GTS/Turbo, I think the posts about getting 10-15% off original MSRP on low mile 17s is misleading. I think to answer your question fairly, there are not deep discounts on CPOs like there are new builds. I negotiated with about 5-6 dealers across the country in Jan for my 2015 turbo, best I could get was 1-2K off the asking price. Plus, they were selling fast - I thought for 2-3 days on one just listed and it was sold in that time.
On a turbo - PASM is standard, air is optional, the drivers aides you want will be in the premium package, and most I found with PSE were fairly loaded up with other options.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
First time poster here and new to the forum. It's my understanding from these threads that 14% is often considered a "good" discount on a CPO but am confused if this is 14% off the price of the CPO, or 14% of the original MSRP of the car if priced as new. Can anyone clarify?

As an example, I'm considering a 2017 Base model that, in 2017 would have been listed for approximately MSRP $51,000. It was a loaner and has about 5000 miles on it. The dealer is offering it as a CPO now for $48,000 and I'm wondering what would be a prudent offer for it. Thanks in advance for any insights!

1 - 20 of 136 Posts