Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

My 2016 Macan S has air suspension.
Since a few days, I hear the air compressor working sort of all the time: when I park the car, when driving, when I unlock the car, when stationary in traffic, etc...
sometimes it's just a few seconds to level the car, on other occasions it's much longer.
I can still select the low level or high level without any troubles and there is no fault message on the dash.
Since I've just started to notice this behaviour and haven't so in the past, I was wondering if this could be the first signs of an imminent air suspension failure.
For those allready familiar with AS failure, what were the signs? did you get an error message?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Perhaps a small leak for which the compressor is working overtime to try to keep up with? I would get it looked at as soon as possible, especially if you were noticing that the compressor is running a lot when the engine is shut off. I would be concerned about running down the battery. In fact, if that’s the case, I might even pull the fuse that powers the air compressor to keep this from happening.

Reactions: MDJAK and synergize

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Does the Macan sit level after parking overnight or a couple hours? Based on my experience with Mercedes airmatic suspension if shocks or lines are leaking and going bad your car will slump on the leaked side because it wouldn’t hold air. I am assuming Porsche air shocks are similar. Like Shark said your compressor will be over worked and die soon. Get it look at ASAP to make sure.

John

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hello all

My 2016 Macan S has air suspension.
Since a few days, I hear the air compressor working sort of all the time: when I park the car, when driving, when I unlock the car, when stationary in traffic, etc...
sometimes it's just a few seconds to level the car, on other occasions it's much longer.
I can still select the low level or high level without any troubles and there is no fault message on the dash.
Since I've just started to notice this behaviour and haven't so in the past, I was wondering if this could be the first signs of an imminent air suspension failure.
For those allready familiar with AS failure, what were the signs? did you get an error message?
Thanks.
Full disclosure, my experience is troubleshooting a Cayenne AS but, Yes, you are experiencing the typical symptoms of an air suspension leak that will only get worse over time. While there are some component differences between Cayenne, Panamera, and Macan AS, they share the same basic engineering in their overall operation. The compressor is fairly robust and will outwork the leak for a while but it can overheat (will shut itself down with thermal protect) or prematurely wear out the seals.

From many conversations with my shop foreman, Porsche AS leaks are usually within the compressor itself (first thing Porsche changed out on mine), at the compressor manifold (where all the independent air lines come together), or at at the airspring itself. Leaks from the lines themselves are not common at all but can happen and are time consuming to find.

I highly recommend you start by spraying a soap/water solution on each of your airsprings and check for leaks around the top of each airsping and at the line connection points. This is how I finally found the airsping leak when Porsche said they were fine. Also, find the compressor, remove panel covering it, then listen for leaks after shutting down the car. If you don’t find the obvious leaks, it may take a couple days in the shop for a tech to find it, if at all. Porsche will likely let the vehicle sit overnight in their lot to measure the rate of settling of the AS. There actually is a threshold of normal settling towards the engine end of the car which was much larger than mine. I had to take measurements every couple hours between the tire and the fender to prove that the settling was way too fast and out of spec to get repairs initiated.

My Cayenne was in the shop 3-4 times with constant band-aid solutions as my leak source was in multiple spots supposedly, ultimately culminating in an air spring failure a couple months out of warranty. My lesson learned was don’t stop till fixed perfectly under warranty, AS health never gets better over time and it is not inexpensive to fix regardless of make or model.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
My Cayenne was in the shop 3-4 times with constant band-aid solutions as my leak source was in multiple spots supposedly, ultimately culminating in an air spring failure a couple months out of warranty. My lesson learned was don’t stop till fixed perfectly under warranty, AS health never gets better over time and it is not inexpensive to fix regardless of make or model.
...and don't own a Porsche without a warranty...

;)

OP, take it to the dealership and let them deal with it while it's still under warranty.

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I was experiencing the same issue, for a few months I heard the compressor turning on more than usual. I would find the car slump on the rear driver side after parking the car for a few hours. I also had an intermittent suspension failure warning coming up in the info display. I took to dealer about a week after I noticed this and they said it was a computer issue they needed to reset ($164 for diagnostic and reset). The computer reset did not fix the issue. I took it to a dealer a second time and they then said it was the compressor that needed replacement (another $164 for diagnostic and they were asking $3,000 to replace compressor with no guarantee that would fix the issue).

I decided to take it to a well respected Porsche independent shop, so I got an appointment. After making the appointment, I started to notice that the compressor was not starting up as frequent and all the struts were holding leveled, no slumping. Its been two weeks already and it seems that all issues had disappeared (fix itself). I have no explanation on what happened, and how it could have fix itself. I cancelled the appointment and monitoring the suspension closely. So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I decided to take it to a well respected Porsche independent shop, so I got an appointment. After making the appointment, I started to notice that the compressor was not starting up as frequent and all the struts were holding leveled, no slumping. Its been two weeks already and it seems that all issues had disappeared (fix itself). I have no explanation on what happened, and how it could have fix itself. I cancelled the appointment and monitoring the suspension closely. So far, so good.
A self repairing Porsche, I sure would like to have one. Your car is definitely a keeper!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was experiencing the same issue, for a few months I heard the compressor turning on more than usual. I would find the car slump on the rear driver side after parking the car for a few hours. I also had an intermittent suspension failure warning coming up in the info display. I took to dealer about a week after I noticed this and they said it was a computer issue they needed to reset ($164 for diagnostic and reset). The computer reset did not fix the issue. I took it to a dealer a second time and they then said it was the compressor that needed replacement (another $164 for diagnostic and they were asking $3,000 to replace compressor with no guarantee that would fix the issue).

Talk about taking the piss, charging you twice for a diagnostic! - By definition of having the second diagnostic the first was a joke!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
A self repairing Porsche, I sure would like to have one. Your car is definitely a keeper!
Got her in 2014, have put 80K miles on it, and is still like new. Not even a dent and more important, no debt. Definitely keeping her for a long long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Talk about taking the piss, charging you twice for a diagnostic! - By definition of having the second diagnostic the first was a joke!
Exactly my thought. Hence why I decided to contact a new independent shop. I don’t think I’ll be bringing her to the dealer anymore.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
If I needed a new air compressor on an out of warranty Macan with 80k miles I would steer clear of the dealer and consider buying a used or rebuilt one. Widely available in the $300-$400 range. I've never changed one myself but how difficult can it be? Perhaps 2 hours labor at an independent garage? $3000 seems nuts.

Reactions: Santirx

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Question/. does the system run a little longer perhaps in the cold weather ?
In my 5 years of ownership, I have never noticed a difference in compressor operating time in cold or hot weather. I live in Massachusetts where it can get very cold.

But this is my per perception. There could be material technical aspects that can make your argument true. Nevertheless, it is cold now in Mass and my compressor returned to normal, I don’t think it has anything to do with weather. I’m thinking maybe it was an issue with level sensor that needed to reset and did at some point, that’s the only logical explanation I’m finding right now.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If I needed a new air compressor on an out of warranty Macan with 80k miles I would steer clear of the dealer and consider buying a used or rebuilt one. Widely available in the $300-$400 range. I've never changed one myself but how difficult can it be? Perhaps 2 hours labor at an independent garage? $3000 seems nuts.
I agree. I found the same thing in a search. Even new compressors are under $1000. With a 2 hour labor cost, probably not more than $1200-1300 for the whole service. I don’t know if I would change myself, as it seems it requires recalibration of level sensor (by looking at the video posted here above), requiring someone specialized equipment. But yes, a specialized independent shop should be half the cost.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've not read the entire thread here, but to throw in my two cents on an experience with a hyper active air suspension - I noticed that if I change the PASM setting to from one to another after a long time, for example, it was originally on Sport for a few weeks full time, then I switch to Comfort for a few weeks, it seems to be hyper day 1-2 into Comfort.

Not sure if I'm clearly explaining it. Almost like if PASM is on a setting for a couple weeks, the computer eventually sets a new baseline pressure; and when you eventually set it to something else for a long duration, it resets to a new baseline pressure - in a hyper active way until it is happy.

And to clarify, I do NOT notice any immediate hyper activity the moment I change the PASM setting. It's like the day after when it starts adjust a lot, in the scenario I described above.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I've not read the entire thread here, but to throw in my two cents on an experience with a hyper active air suspension - I noticed that if I change the PASM setting to from one to another after a long time, for example, it was originally on Sport for a few weeks full time, then I switch to Comfort for a few weeks, it seems to be hyper day 1-2 into Comfort.

Not sure if I'm clearly explaining it. Almost like if PASM is on a setting for a couple weeks, the computer eventually sets a new baseline pressure; and when you eventually set it to something else for a long duration, it resets to a new baseline pressure - in a hyper active way until it is happy.

And to clarify, I do NOT notice any immediate hyper activity the moment I change the PASM setting. It's like the day after when it starts adjust a lot, in the scenario I described above.
I did change the PASM setting from Sport to Sport+. I had it in Sport for a few years, and then went to Sport+ recently and had kept it there for a few months now. However, the issue went for 4-6 weeks, not a few days, and I don’t remember if it coincided with the change. Thanks for bringing your point of view and experience on this. If it is a computer adjustment period, that would make me feel much better.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts