Porsche Macan Forum banner

Aftermarket Sway Bar Upgrades?

25451 Views 219 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  BMinSFL
I have searched here and other sources online, and can not find anyone offering them, so as a last resort, does anyone know of any place that sells upgraded sway bars? I'm running KW V3 coilovers, but would really like to reduce more of the body roll in corners, and dial out more of the understeer with a stiffer rear bar.
141 - 160 of 220 Posts
Are you going to do the upgraded subframe/crossbrace too?
Probably not. I just wanted a little better handling and I have that now. Anything more, I'll just wait till March and get my Carrera out of storage :cool::)

One last thing I would love to do is to get a TCU tune. It's one and only real issue I have with this car. Programming on it is horrible when in normal mode, IMHO.
One and only company I know off that can tune it is in Canada and they can't do it remotely just yet. Also dont know if it will change shift points or just increase line pressure for faster shifting. But one guy that got it says it does improve shifting. So I will patiently wait.
Hey yall,

Given the relevance of this topics I figured y'all wouldn't mind a little bit of new information I received yesterday for anyone who is interested.

Not as if we didn't all, more or less, unofficially know this before; however, I wanted to confirm that I reached out to someone from Powerflex's US office & verified the interchangeability of their Poly bushings for the Audi B8/8.5 A4/A5/S4/S5/RS4/RS5, C7/7.5 A6/A7/S6/S7/RS6/RS7 8R Q5/SQ5 chassis/components for our Macans. In case anybody wants these — I'm listing the part numbers below. My current focus with regard to aftermarket parts has been suspension, chassis and drivetrain components. I already had their transmission mount & front droplink bushings installed. In my opinion, I feel they've made my GTS quite noticeably more cohesive. Crisper shifts with less jerkiness. It also feels more planted — especially during launch control

I can confirm these parts will definitely fit the 95B.1 & I believe the 95B.2/95B.3. As I don't own a newer Macan — I can't say with complete certainty so I don't wanna lead anyone with a 95B.2 or 95B.3 astray.
Nevertheless, if anyone wants switch to some (in my opinion — no for a debate 😂) high-quality, well-built, yet affordable poly bushings, here are the parts and part numbers! I'm not affiliated w/ Powerflex. Just a big fan of them, who's been pleased w/ products I've bought from them

I know how annoying & cumbersome it can be to cross-reference, verify fitment and simultaneously Google parts til 2AM looking for interchangeable components for our Macans (not that I've ever done that 20 times or anything lol). Since there's so much overlap b/t the VW Audi Group MLB platform parts particularly relating to many, if not most, of the Macan's chassis, suspension and drivetrain components.

On a different note, I searched the forum and didn't see a single thread containing this info, but I want to confirm before posting — is there a thread with the cross referenced, shared parts for the Audi VW Group A4/A5/A6/S6/A7/S7/Q5/SQ5 parts numbers + aftermarket parts for those models that also fit our Macans? It's taken me a lot of research & time so if we can make it easier for people who want more upgrade options, yet don't realize that the Macan is part of the MLB platform or are unable to find them they can have a thread with all of that info. Let me know what y'all think..

Finally, here are those parts with part numbers:

Audi A4/A5/A6/S6/A7/S7/Q5 Front Control Arm Bushings:
PFF3-701

Audi A4/A5/S5/Q5/SQ5/RS4 Front Lower Radius Arm to Chassis Bushings (75mm):
PFF3-702

Audi A4 / A5 / S5 / Q5 / SQ5 / RS4 Front Lower Radius Arm to Chassis Bushing - Caster Adjustable (75mm):
PFF3-702G

Audi A4, S4, A5, A6, RS4, SQ5 / VW Passat B5 Front Upper Arm To Chassis Bushings:
PFF3-203

Audi Rear Trailing Arm Front Bushings:
PFR3-711

Audi Rear Trailing Arm Rear Bushings:
PFR3-712

Audi A4 / A5 / A6 / S6 / A7 / S7 / Q5 Rear Wheel Bearing Housing Bushing:
PFR3-714

Audi A4, A5, S5, A6, S6, A7, S7, A8, Q5 Rear Tie Rod Inner/Outer Bushing:
PFR3-715

Audi A4, A5, S5, A6, S6, A7, S7, A8, Q5 Rear Track Control Arm Inner/Outer Bushing:
PFR3-716

Audi A4, A5, S5, A6, S6, A7, S7, A8, Q5 Rear Sway Bar Link Bushing:
PFR3-718

Audi / Porsche / VW Front Sway Bar Link Bushings - 10 mm:
PFF3-913-10

Audi & Volkswagen Front Sway Bar Bushing - 31.5 mm
(They have various bushing sizes for different models. You may just have to measure your sway bushings to confirm):
PFF3-204-31.5BLK

Audi A4, A5, A7, RS4, SQ5 / Porsche Macan Transmission Mount Insert:
PFF3-725

Audi A4 / A5 / A6 / S6 / A7 / S7 / Q5 Rear Diff Front Bushing Insert:
PFR3-741

Audi A4 / A5 / A6 / S6 / A7 / S7 / Q5 Rear Diff Rear Bushing Inserts:
PFR3-743
See less See more
Reactions: 5
I ordered a set of the H&R sway bars.

I found the service manual and read through it for torque specs and any tips I can glean.

I'll post the relevant pages for future reference however one point I noticed was that the nuts and bolts should not be re-used.

Is there a good reason to take that recommendation seriously or am I ok re-using the nuts and bolts that secure the endlinks and center mounts?
Which HR sway part part # did you ended up ordering?

As for re-using bolts, the FSM seems to always recommend replacing suspension related bolts. I personally don’t think you need to for the sway bar mounts. I would justify if they are brake caliper mounting bolts..

I ordered a set of the H&R sway bars.

I found the service manual and read through it for torque specs and any tips I can glean.

I'll post the relevant pages for future reference however one point I noticed was that the nuts and bolts should not be re-used.

Is there a good reason to take that recommendation seriously or am I ok re-using the nuts and bolts that secure the endlinks and center mounts?
Which HR sway part part # did you ended up ordering?

As for re-using bolts, the FSM seems to always recommend replacing suspension related bolts. I personally don’t think you need to for the sway bar mounts. I would justify if they are brake caliper mounting bolts..
I ordered #72092, same as VAGFan. That's what I am thinking on the bolts, wanted to confirm, thanks!

Would these work for the jack points under the covers, inboard of the rocker panel jack points (where the assembly line pins go)?

BIG RED T43004 Torin Aluminum Jack Stands with Locking Support Pins: 3 Ton (6,000 lb) Capacity, Red/Silver, 1 Pair https://a.co/d/1GuAXwj

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Automotive design Bumper
See less See more
Update after driving for 6 months.
I ended up raising the car back by 5mm. So I'm total of -15mm from stock GTS. The wonky feel of slammed civic when going over rough roads is gone.
Between swaybars and lowering, the Macan is as perfect as a mini SUV can be, in my opinion.
Update after driving for 6 months.
I ended up raising the car back by 5mm. So I'm total of -15mm from stock GTS. The wonky feel of slammed civic when going over rough roads is gone.
Between swaybars and lowering, the Macan is as perfect as a mini SUV can be, in my opinion.
Thanks for the update. So no noise with the H&R bars and stock bushings?

I realized you have a GTS which may have a slightly larger rear stock bar, 25mm vs. 24.5, and subsequently, the stock bushing is larger and would fit on the 26mm H&R better than a smaller stock bushing made for the 24.5mm bar.

I don't want to be stuck with something that won't work so I looked up the bushings and based on what I can see, there is only one bushing part number for 2017 models (95B-511-035) and then in 2019, there was another part number (95B-522-035-A) which seems to be for air suspension models. I am not sure if this bushing is for a larger or smaller diameter bar but I am looking into it.

We are still talking about 1mm so worst case I can use a drum sander to remove some material if it really doesn't fit. I'm trying to avoid making the shims but maybe I'll find some stock that will work easily at the hardware store.
See less See more
The extra rubber from the larger oem porsche bushing may absorb some of the rigidity that the smaller bushing would not have. It may work to our advantage.
Reactions: 1
Torque specs below:

Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern Number

If removing the eccentric camber bolt for swinging the rear control arm out of the way (per VAGFan's instructions), the torque is 70 ftlb.

Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern Number
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Once again, some stuff in the Porsche factory service manual that makes no sense:
  • no need to disconnect one end of the the suspension level sensor arm.
  • no need to remove the heat-shield for the axle/drive shaft.
  • no need to perform a suspension alignment
Once again, some stuff in the Porsche factory service manual that makes no sense:
  • no need to disconnect one end of the the suspension level sensor arm.
  • no need to remove the heat-shield for the axle/drive shaft.
  • no need to perform a suspension alignment
Good to know, I figured those steps are optional but always nice to see it laid out.

Technically, an alignment is performed with your method of removing the camber arms, even if its just lining up the marks made on the camber bolt. I ordered the below to double ensure it remains in spec:

I also got in the 8mm aluminum to cut into the 40mm x 40mm square should I need to use the H&R bushing:

Also, from BelMetric.com, I ordered M10x1.5 10.9 full length and partially threaded bolts in 80mm length and some various M10 thick washers/spacers for the rear endlink bolt extension. I found the original bolt is either 65 or 70mm long.

I think I'll be ready to get this done in the garage on jack stands over the next week. I'll be painting the bars gloss black before installation so they don't stand out should I bring it by the dealer for other warranty work.
See less See more
Thanks for the update. So no noise with the H&R bars and stock bushings?

I realized you have a GTS which may have a slightly larger rear stock bar, 25mm vs. 24.5, and subsequently, the stock bushing is larger and would fit on the 26mm H&R better than a smaller stock bushing made for the 24.5mm bar.
No issues using stock bushings. There were some squeaks at first when cold and damp coming form the rear but went away after a little bit of time.

I would also highly recommend to look into transmission and rear diff bushing incerts. I did those before sway bars and had good results in more power going to the ground and less slushy feeling in the rear.
No issues using stock bushings. There were some squeaks at first when cold and damp coming form the rear but went away after a little bit of time.

I would also highly recommend to look into transmission and rear diff bushing incerts. I did those before sway bars and had good results in more power going to the ground and less slushy feeling in the rear.
Thanks and good to know! I ended up making the spacers since I am intrigued by these Teflon bushings.

The bars are painted black and ready to go in. I'll do the front tommorow then the rear over the long weekend.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
Good luck....can you make me a pair of those aluminum spacers? I made mine from multiple steel pieces, but I want to replace them with a one piece aluminum version. I didn't have any appropriate aluminum material on-hand when I discovered the need for these in the midst of the install.
I reviewed all the pics I took during the rear bar install, and there are two more tweaks:
- take a razor knife and trim a little of the H&R bushing edges, to fit into the Porsche bracket.
- Shim the sides of the bushings.

See less See more
Good luck....can you make me a pair of those aluminum spacers? I made mine from multiple steel pieces, but I want to replace them with a one piece aluminum version. I didn't have any appropriate aluminum material on-hand when I discovered the need for these in the midst of the install.
I absolutely can, you've been a huge help on many topics. This was my first time cutting aluminum this thick so the cuts aren't great, I can try again using a wood circular saw blade, which is apparently better than a ferrous metal cutoff wheel, as I learned the hard way. I finished up with a bi-metal, 32 tpi hacksaw.

Alternatively, I can just send you the remaining stock plate I have for you to make cuts. I am good with either one and I will happily do either on my dime.
141 - 160 of 220 Posts