Porsche Macan Forum banner

Aftermarket Exhaust Options

62K views 103 replies 70 participants last post by  dtrykow 
#1 ·
Did not do PSE as I like it a bit louder but also don't particularly want to spend $2600+ (cheapest I have found is fabspeed for 2600). For my lowly S that represents almost 5% the value of the car for an aftermarket exhaust - seems crazy.

Any other options?

Was thinking about working with a local muffler shop to see if they could modify (gut) the stock exhaust.

Any less expensive options or ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks

#3 ·
Yes, that's mine. I'm on an iPad right now, but search my previous posts for one that starts with "Fly-by....." and you'll find some more videos of my set-up.

#6 ·
I am torn between paying for the Porsche Sport Exhaust or buying an aftermarket exhaust. The PSE will add to resale value and keep the car factory and warranty valid. Aftermarket may provide an even better sound and more performance.

Thoughts? Experience from those that have made the decision? Thanks :confused:

#7 ·
The PSE is expensive, in my opinion, if you did not spec it with your initial purchase. I'd suggest deciding what your overall priority is; resale value and warranty or sound and performance. Performance increase from an exhaust alone is negligible. There might be aftermarket bolt-on exhaust solutions that will allow you to re-mount the factory exhaust when decide to get rid of your Macan. That might be a good way to go.

#8 ·
IMO I would leave it stock or go aftermarket. I was not impressed with the PSE when I heard it at the dealer so it seems like throwing money away. I have to say the overall exhaust note of the Macan is kind of underwhelming from all the aftermarket exhausts that I have heard.

#10 ·
Based on what I've read, PSE or stock exhaust sound doesn't really get better until it's broken in. I would suspect when you heard it at the dealership that it was not broken in.

I plan on getting PSE since I plan to own the car for a while. If I save up for a year or two to get the entire system with Sports Plus, I think it's worth it compare to trading in/reselling the vehicle, and paying more out of pockets (more than the cost of PSE) to get a new one.

To answer OP's original question, I would stick to PSE for factory look, fitment, performance (if any at all).

This is just me tho..

#12 ·
I did the remus axle back exhaust w carbon tips and I loved it. My friend owns a dealership and said since it was just exhaust it wouldnt void warranty but I am sure it is different with each one. I sold my macan and still have exhaust> it has 2300 miles on it. I will sell. PM me if interested. You will be very happy with the decision.

#16 ·
I had the same question. I ultimately ended up going with the Remus. I installed it myself in about 90 minutes versus paying the dealer around $1500 for the install. To me that $1500 might as well be down the drain. With the Remus, when I'm done with it I can take it off, put the stock exhaust back on, and sell it to recoup some of the initial cost, plus no wasted expense on install.

I asked my salesman if adding PSE and Sport+ would help with resale/trade value. He said the extra amount they give on trade for more options is pretty minimal. Verbatim: "Options don't necessarily add value, they just make the car easier for us to sell."

#31 ·
90 minutes sounds like a reasonable time for installing the exhaust myself. Does the sports button work automatically or you need to wire the new exhaust? This might be a newbie question. Was there hammering, reshaping, welding involved? It sounds like the answer is no because you can potentially put the stock exhaust back on.

#19 ·
I'm working on a video comparing the sounds but here's a good starter guide to consider when looking at exhaust solutions:

https://flat6motorsports.com/blogs/news/porsche-macan-exhaust-solutions

Feel free to ask any questions here or PM. There are a couple of specials going on during Black Friday - Cyber Monday and a few extending through the end of the year.

#25 ·
Don't forget to include a PSE system that has at least 3,000 miles -- it changes about then...

Reactions: Tiger gts
#26 ·
Thanks, here is some Techart info:

Techart - rear section only, requires cutting, no welding, uses clamps.

Macan S = must purchase any OE GTS/Turbo tips or purchase Techart tips
Macan GTS/Turbo = can re-use tips or purchase Techart tips (chrome or black)
Macan S has one outlet, where GTS/Turbo has two outlets that is the difference. Macan S just might look like it has 2 outlets.

Installation = at a Porsche dealership = 9 hours, I believe a lot has to do with the wiring into the factory system.
You press the Sport button to active the valves.
No drone, valves close at certain RPMs to avoid drone.
Start-up valves are open, then automatically close. You have to press sport to re-open.

Sound = amazing, with Jekyll and Hyde ability, with no remotes needed, all factory switches.

I would pick this exhaust any day for my needs (quiet and loud).

#28 ·
#29 ·
It appears the PSE is by far the best value if you want a valved exhaust system. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't include the PSE in my build? I know I can get a cheaper non-valved aftermarket exhaust, but this will be my daily driver so I don't want to have a loud exhaust all the time...only when I want it. I have a 135i with basically straight pipes from the turbos, so I don't need the Macan S to be my "loud" car.

#34 ·
Great thread to come by! I just received my Macan GTS today and was a little disappointed with the sound (tough act to follow as I cam from an RS3 with unplugged valves), does anyone know how to improve the volume without changing out the muffler? As I want to keep the PSE Button. Change the cats?
Can anyone weigh in with some experience or advice?