Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to hear from others in the metro NYC area as to how much they have felt a need for winter tires.

Where I live in coastal Ffld Cnty, we typically get very little snow. But we get some, maybe 2-3 times a year at most (example: last year we never had to have our driveway plowed).

I had 19s with all seasons on my 2018 Base Macan. Trying to decide if I need something other than the 20s with all seasons that will come on my 2021 GTS.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
I’d like to hear from others in the metro NYC area as to how much they have felt a need for winter tires.

Where I live in coastal Ffld Cnty, we typically get very little snow. But we get some, maybe 2-3 times a year at most (example: last year we never had to have our driveway plowed).

I had 19s with all seasons on my 2018 Base Macan. Trying to decide if I need something other than the 20s with all seasons that will come on my 2021 GTS.

Thoughts?
I get up in New York and always had all seasons . I did not drive in severe snow .Ideally two sets are the way to have the best of both . These newer cars are so good on summer tires in warm and its the most safe with winters in the snow. Plus you destroy one set of wheels with the salt but preserve a clean set for the summer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only concern is that I’d be giving up ride and handling for the other hundred days of winter for 2-3 drives in light/moderate snow

·
Registered
2020 Macan S
40 Posts
How cold does it get in the metro NYC area? Good all seasons have enough tread to handle some snow but when the temperature drops well below freezing you'll loose grip for stopping as Jens mentioned.

We get a fair bit of snow in Toronto that is usually cleared quickly but city crews can't do anything about the cold.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s doesn’t get that much below very often or for very long, but it does get there

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I am in the NY area, for most the all season tires and all wheel drive are ok, but it's not the driving - it's the stopping, that's where the winter tires are better.
Exactly.

If winter tires keep you out of one accident on a slippery surface, they were worth the expense and hassle of switching them over. I learned the hard way years ago, and any of our vehicles that might be faced with those conditions get winter tires.

Many of our friends in Europe know this well as in several countries including Germany winter tries are required when driving in winter conditions during certain months of the year, and if you get in an accident plan on heavy fines.

Not a fan of the annual ritual of installing the winters on the Macan as they detract from the handling, but I will not risk going with all seasons even though I realize the vast majority of drivers in my area (north jersey) do.

Reactions: wwahl

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ran all-season Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my X5 4.6is living in North Jersey for five years and found them to be quite excellent in wet, cold and snowy conditions for an all season tire. Weren’t as crisp on a nice summer day but then again these are SUV’s and are not driven anywhere near their limits on the roads. Never left me stuck in some horrible conditions and were probably the best all-season tire I’ve had on a performance car.

If you’re careful those first few hours during/after a heavy wet snow and on icy mornings these will do you just fine. But if you have the option of winter tires (or not driving on the worst weather days) those will likely do you much better. I had a winter set on my 550i (RWD) and it made a huge difference in all winter conditions because the rubber is a bit softer in the cold giving you more grip even when it’s not snowy and slushy. So for RWD, only dedicated winters will do but for AWD all seasons and careful driving are good too.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
My wife and I live in the Albany, NY, area (150 miles north of NYC, for those who aren't familiar with the northeast). This area gets more snow than the NYC area, but it is not that much colder (unless you're talking within the city limits, with its heat-sink of pavement and buildings).

In any case, we have two sets of wheels and tires -- both of them OEM Porsche wheels and NO-spec tires -- 19" with A/S and 18" with snows, and switch them seasonally. When the A/S tires -- the ones that came with the car -- had to be replaced this spring (our Macan S now has 44K miles), I thought about summer tires. I decided that the temps were just too variable around here, especially in the spring and fall, to mess with summers (that, and shorter tread life), so I got another set of A/S (although Michelin this time).

I don't dispute or begrudge those folks who praise summer tires for better handling, so we may never get the maximum handling out of our S. But I don't think the folks running summers do either, unless you take the car to a track. That is, it's all a series of compromises. And even the best handling Macan is still not a sports car, however much fun it is, however much it outhandles lesser CUVs.

Regarding the winter tires, I'm in the group that thinks if you avoid one accident on cold, slushy, icy, snowy roads -- and the trickiest may be snow on top of ice, which was the case when I failed to negotiate a slow curve in an Accord, years back -- then it's worth the hassle and cost of having a dedicated winter set.

OTOH, if you have another car with snows on them, or can stay home or take public transportation (post-pandemic) on the coldest and snowiest days, then I suppose you could stick with A/S tires in the winter. We only have one car now; although we're retired, and so can stay home, my wife goes to the supermarkets a lot, and also we take overnight winter trips to visit far-flung family, so may encounter some nasty weather while traveling.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I had a winter set on my 550i (RWD) and it made a huge difference in all winter conditions because the rubber is a bit softer in the cold giving you more grip even when it’s not snowy and slushy. So for RWD, only dedicated winters will do but for AWD all seasons and careful driving are good too.
As a couple of other people pointed out above, the problem with all season tires is not so much traction, but being able to stop on a slippery surface. All wheel drive does not make a bit of difference in that respect.

We previously had the DWS on two different cars and the winter traction is actually decent for an all season tire, although I would say the handling is only mediocre given the rather soft sidewalls. Bottom line is that even though they are decent, they simply don’t come close to matching winter tires.

I also subscribe to the concept that if winter tires keep you out of just one accident, it was worth the trouble. I know there are lots of people here who will claim all season tires are good enough, but I’ll guarantee you the folks that have had winter accidents on all season tires are not speaking up here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OTOH, if you have another car with snows on them, or can stay home or take public transportation (post-pandemic) on the coldest and snowiest days, then I suppose you could stick with A/S tires in the winter. We only have one car now; although we're retired, and so can stay home, my wife goes to the supermarkets a lot, and also we take overnight winter trips to visit far-flung family, so make encounter some nasty weather while traveling.
Excellent points. I should have noted that we have a Honda Pilot (now 2 - an '08 and '14) that we'll use in the nasty stuff, the Macan will sit out the worst of it in the garage. One is riding on Pirelli Scorpions (all-season but very highly rated in snow/wet) and the other on BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT's. For all-season tires in the northeast I optimize for cold/wet/snow performance - check Tirerack ratings and reviews - and don't worry so much about the best summer handling or acceleration performance. Because SUV.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ex NYer currently living in Chicago here; you’ll get by fine with the a/s tires, though I would still recommend a 2-tire regimen for you; it’s what I do, too. Summers, and a good performance winter tire like the Pirelli Scorpion winter. Summers for me is less about getting the most out of the car - which is an SUV, after all - but even well below the limits, or in ordinary driving, there is a difference in feel between a/s and a good summer tire - steering feedback and precision, turn-in response, how they hold up under roll, ride quality, etc. I like those little differences, and it’s also nice knowing the tires will be up to whatever challenges the Macan can dish out, if and when I am really pushing it. Same holds tire for the winter performance tires v a/s. But if you just want to get where you’re going, generally don’t drive hard or prioritize those differences in road feel, then go with just one set of a/s and save a not insignificant amount of $$.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Manhattan resident here, all season Michelins from factory are more than sufficient. We have a pretty steep exit road from our parking garage and not a problem on a slippery fresh snowfall. Besides, we had nearly zero accumulation last few seasons and likely to get even lighter each year as our planet warms up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess this will be a 50/50 , 50% will recommend all season and 50% an extra set of rims with winter tires for safety, in my case I decided with 20" rims All season tires for two reasons Macan I bought came with 18" Rims and I wanted 20" and I will be moving to FL by the end of this year HOPEFULLY!! so no needs Winter tires there, in case of going with the extra set of rims I have my Set available, great condition with the TMPS Sensors included. Best of Luck!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another Manhattanite here and I've always commuted with my motorcycle all year round, except for when it snowed. I cursed snow. There have been increasingly fewer snow days (the swearing worked!) and after that DiBlasio snowstorm debacle a few years ago, the roads get cleaned up pretty quickly. This being my first car after about 20 years, I've decided against snow tires as I have a short commute with fairly dependable alternatives. If I lived in the outer boroughs or suburbs I might think differently. I'd also have more space to store a second set of wheels!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't tried a dedicated set of winter tires even for my pickup truck. I use all-season tires for versatility. I think it is easier to find the right winter tires for it because it has a wide selection to choose from. I currently have a set of Nitto Grappler but I might give winter tires a try this latter part of the year.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am a complete believer in the need for winter tires, even in marginal winter conditions for two reasons.

Several years ago I attended Bridgestone’s winter driving school in Steamboat Springs Colorado, and the back to back performance of their winter tires versus their all season tires on the same exact vehicles was absolutely dramatic.

Much more significantly, and more recently, I witnessed an accident in only marginal weather conditions where a driver could not stop on an icy surface, causing a friend to be injured seriously to the point she is now disabled for the rest of her life, definitely a life-changing event.

The alternative is to leave your non-winter tire equipped vehicle home in the garage when there is any chance of frozen or partially frozen precipitation on the roads. After witnessing what I did, I could not live with myself in risking other people’s lives with my own negligence.

Granted winter road conditions in Manhattan do not happen regularly, but they still do happen even with global warming.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
When you are doing the slow slide sideways seeing that you are going to have an expensive contact with an unmovable object you will really regret your decision to save a couple of bucks on not getting snow tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts