Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what appears to be some stains on my rear spoiler. My guess, bird poop sat on it too long before I washed it away. Surface feels smooth to the touch and the stain appears to be "below" the clear coat. Washed it multiple times, tried waxing it, no change. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I’ve had this happen before, it looks like it has etched its way into the clearcoat.

Professional detailers might be able to get it off without taking off the clearcoat completely, but unless you know what you’re doing this isn’t something you probably should try yourself.

I had a similar stain like this on my spoiler and the detailing shop here in town took it out.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Did you try a bug & bird poop remover spray?
Did you try claying it?

If that doesn't do it, what about a product like Scratch X?

If you can get it off, then wax or sealant, of course.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You can buy “auto body compound” or “fine polish” at any car parts store. Wet surface and applicator. Use light force and observe often as the goal is not to remove the clear coat. If the initial process does not remove most or all of the issue, stop, you are in danger of removing the clear coat. Take what you can from the process, wax area and drive safe.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That may require a "color sand" and polish.

Reactions: Glock19

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have what appears to be some stains on my rear spoiler. My guess, bird poop sat on it too long before I washed it away. Surface feels smooth to the touch and the stain appears to be "below" the clear coat. Washed it multiple times, tried waxing it, no change. Any suggestions?
I've taken out similar bird-related etchings. On something like this I'd wet sand with a fairly high grit (like 3k) and then switch to a dual action polisher and some medium compound... but if you're new to paint correction, definitely take it to a pro detailer, I suspect it wouldn't be too bad to fix. It's in the middle of the spoiler and not too close to any edges, which makes it easier.

After it's fixed, you might consider a ceramic coating if the car spends a significant time outside (though it'd be money wasted if you frequent auto car washes). While it's not a miracle cure for everything, it could reduce or even prevent the damage of things like bird droppings.

·
Registered
2017 S
40 Posts
I've recently had great results with the "Wolfgang Uber Compound" removing some paint defects (black car, yea...woohoo, one and done?) I've been using other Wolfgang products for the past 10 years. This compound is very user friendly, and requiring little to no polishing afterwards. Might want to give it a shot.

·
Registered
2018 Macan Turbo
3 Posts
Nothing to add besides what others have said - paint correction either polish alone or wet sand and then polish. The good news is that it's just the spoiler - so if your burn through the clear coat it's not the end of the world to re-clear. Just make sure to take your time and wipe often to see progress. I do six passes with my buffer, medium pressure left to right, then the same up to down on a two foot section, and then stop, wipe and inspect. Use a light polishing compound and medium pad till you get the hang of it. Polishing by hand sucks! I like the Meguires system see below, results are slow, good and predictable. You do NOT want to burn through the base color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts