Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, new user here, been doing the rounds on "which macan should I buy" for a real long time and really getting tired of shopping around. I was going to get a 2018 sport edition but test drove it yesterday and hated the handling and how slow the 4 cylinder felt. I like the way the sport edition looks though just because it doesn't go out of the way to look all flashy etc. I just want it to look mostly normal not like performance oriented or what not. I test drove a gts and loved it, but there aren't any GTS' in my area that are even close to the options I want and also I don't like all the gts badging on exterior / interior etc. Sooo that brings me to wanting a turbo as I am assuming that it will handle / drive more like the gts than a sport edition obviously and the detailing on the turbo looks mostly normal / reserved. At this point I'm mostly just looking for somewhat of a reasonable deal because there is very limited inventory where I am and i have all these picky options i'm obsessing over.

This is the closest match of what I'm looking for nearby:

My questions are the following:

1. Does this overall seem like a decent price for what the build is? Are there any "essential" turbo options that this car is missing out on?

2. How feasible / reasonable is it to swap out the gloss black door handles with body colored handles? Can I just pay for the new handles at the porsche dealer and they do it or is it kinda a non starter.

3. This particular car has the rounded sport exhaust, but I prefer the more rectilinear turbo exhaust, is that also something I could swap out at a dealer?

4. And fourthly the rims I don't like the black ones, but like the chrome 21 RS style. Would a porsche dealership give me any sort of deal to "trade in" these black ones to get the RS ones or would I basically just be eating the cost of the new rims?

I know you're probably thinking, jesus man just find a different car that has what you want on it, but I can't really afford to wait any longer for different inventory and this is the closest car to me that has the main options correct, (white ext, leather interior no alcanta, roof rails, no tow hitch)

·
Registered
999 Posts
. . . This is the closest match of what I'm looking for nearby: . . .
Welcome to the forum, mactyler, but. . .
What is the closest match? I'm not seeing any link or photo on my browser.
Where's "nearby" (i.e., what's your location)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm not allowed to post url's yet so pretty hard for me to link to the car lol, but i've just updated the original post with photos of the info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess since I live in a major city (San Francisco), most places will deliver here from elsewhere even like 2000 miles away? Is it just mostly a flat fee like $2k to get it shipped?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm not allowed to post url's yet so pretty hard for me to link to the car lol, but i've just updated the original post with photos of the info.
Yep, I can see it now. If the dealer is not a Porsche dealer, it would be difficult to get the CPO (extended) warranty; therefore, you might want to use that in your negotiation.
I agree with @Willie Web about accessing the Porsche Pre-Owned search. At least you would be able to view asking prices for comparable Macan Turbos.
I cannot speak to shipping costs, but if you find *THE* car, you could work an out-the-door price which would include taxes, registration, shipping, all-in
Again, knowledge is power.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you “hated” the handling of the Sport Edition, I’m not sure why you would like the handling of the Turbo with AS; I believe they have the same suspension.

·
Registered
967 Posts
First, up front, it has all the options mine has and I paid $92K new.

A couple of things to look at IF you are not aware of to do:

-AutoCheck AND CarFax. See where it's been in the U.S. Has it spent all its time in Ca or was up in Chicago or the NE (think salt).
- How many miles on it BEFORE it was titled? In other words, was it a demo and then sold with ~5K on the odometer.
-How many owners?
-Ask if it can be taken to a Porsche dealer for a bill of health. HAVE THEM REMOVE THE FRONT PAN AND LOOK FOR OIL LEAKS!!! Remember, it's $9,000 to pull the engine...
-If possible, see if you can get a full list of all maintenance/repairs through a Porsche dealership. Here in Texas they'll do that. I'm not sure about CA.
-WARRANTY! If you have Geico, I recommend the MBI. There's also a lot of people here that recommend Fidelity.

Do your homework up front. Don't be surprised. Porsche repairs and maintenance are very expensive. Best of luck.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you “hated” the handling of the Sport Edition, I’m not sure why you would like the handling of the Turbo with AS; I believe they have the same suspension.

I was going to say something similar. I can understand people finding the base engine not powerful enough, but the Sport Edition, with AS and PASM and the least amount of weight, is arguably going to be the best handling Macan.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
I guess since I live in a major city (San Francisco), most places will deliver here from elsewhere even like 2000 miles away? Is it just mostly a flat fee like $2k to get it shipped?
I had my last 2 Macans shipped to Dallas. My most recent one was from the east coast (Baltimore) to Dallas for $1300 (enclosed carrier). I used shipacardirect.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Appreciate all the replies so far! Definitely starting to think a CPO is the way to go and didn't realize I shouldn't be so concerned about shipping from pretty far away.

(This story is slightly embarrassing but have some sympathy knowing this was my first time driving any porsche which I guess is why I went in basically knowing nothing.)

After several of you mentioned my "handling" comments, I started to think about what I actually meant by that and realized I didn't really know, but then I thought back I think I've realized something. My main car now is a 2015 Audi R8, and when I first went to test drive a Macan I drove up in the R8 and the sales guy was there and I was like I just want a base macan and he was like no you're gonna drive this GTS, I remember he hit a bunch of buttons in the console adjusting things at the start, but I didn't think much of it. That test drive was awesome, I was shocked how much "closer" it was to how it felt to drive the R8 despite being an SUV. That day immediately sold me on getting a Macan, but I've spent weeks ruling various ones out due to mostly cosmetic options, assuming whatever different Macans there were wouldn't make too much of a difference. Then I decided on the Macan Sport Edition and when I went to test drive it yesterday, I felt like the car was rolling a lot more in the turns, the steering wheel was turning like butter, the suspension wasn't hard like I wanted it to be and the acceleration felt slow. I left rather confused at how I could have hated driving a different Macan so much just because of a different trim level (And the V6 part which I did know). Now I think I realize the difference was the first time I drove it, the sales guy assumed I would want the GTS to feel more like a sports car and probably had the PASM on sports+ and the ride height lowered the full -25mm, maybe had PTV not sure how common that is.

Does this sound like an accurate realization, and if so/not, what options would I throw on a macan to make it feel as closer to the ride of the R8.
- Hardest suspension mode possible
- Lowest to the ground ride height
- Stiffest steering wheel turning

My research is leading me to believe it would be a GTS with PASM and PTV Plus, how common is PTV Plus though as an option, maybe that's the only one not worth adding? Do the 2018 sport edition's come with PASM by default? Maybe I should go back and test drive a sport edition again but this time make sure to set all of the settings and see if I absolutely need to go GTS or Turbo to get something that feels close enough to what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I like your original car ! It's got everything , its close to home , they know the service history ...except I can't find it (checked auto trader, dealer website , and CPO national ) .

Are you sure it wasn't sold ?

As for things like the wheels and exhaust tips .. any used car is a give and take . In fact even buying a new lot car usually means sorting out compromises . The only way to really narrow it to specifics is to order a car (and even then I have screwed up at least once and forgot something ).

Coming out of an R8 into an SUV .. my feeling is opt for rational (meaning leave it be ) . The money saved on upgrading wheels can go to another R8 V10 (2 more years left before they go EV).

·
Registered
314 Posts
I wanted either a GTS or Turbo. Did a CPO Porsche search and drove 800 miles each way to get one.
There aren t many GTS, that fact almost made up my mind that I wanted one. Plus the driving is the sportiest of the fleet.
I did drive a Turbo too.
You are unique because some of what you don t like is what most do. The GTS badging is nice and IMO not over stated.
Get what you want and go CPO warranty for the kind of money you are spending.
You can change anything on the car but it will cost you as everything (even exhaust tips etc) are $$$.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had multiple vehicles shipped over the years---and I lived in either SF area of NY area so the 'edges' of the country.
Depending on where it is coming from shipping has been $500-1500. Never more. The least was San Diego to Palo Alto ($500), the most was Miami to SF ($1500).

Re buying this Turbo- I'd really check cit out closely if not from a Porsche dealer. Definitely get a good PPI. Carlsen in RWC treated me very well and even if the car is not from them, I am sure that they'd do one for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does this sound like an accurate realization, and if so/not, what options would I throw on a macan to make it feel as closer to the ride of the R8.
- Hardest suspension mode possible
- Lowest to the ground ride height
- Stiffest steering wheel turning

My research is leading me to believe it would be a GTS with PASM and PTV Plus, how common is PTV Plus though as an option, maybe that's the only one not worth adding? Do the 2018 sport edition's come with PASM by default? Maybe I should go back and test drive a sport edition again but this time make sure to set all of the settings and see if I absolutely need to go GTS or Turbo to get something that feels close enough to what I'm looking for.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense to me. I own a GTS, and have extensively driven a Sport Edition and a steel-sprung base. As you may know, the GTS, and the Turbo PP, both come standard with a slightly lowered AS/PASM. The Sport Edition comes with a non-lowered AS/PASM. All AS have a lowered mode. I assume, but don't know for a fact, that the GTS/Turbo PP in lowered mode are about 1/2 inch lower than a Sport Edition in lowered mode. Does that 1/2 inch make a big difference? I don't know.

Here is what I can tell you: the GTS with PASM in Sport + and AS lowered handles really well for an SUV. Not like a sports car, but perhaps like a decent sport sedan. Honestly, the Sport Edition in the same mode feels similar to me, even if it is a bit higher (perhaps because of a different weight distribution?) Most of the time, I keep my GTS in PASM Sport and AS lowered, which I find to be an ideal handling/ride compromise. I have never driven a Macan with PTV+, but that should supposedly reduce understeer. It couldn't hurt!

Two more factoids: 1. I don't like light steering. I had the Power Steering + disabled on my GTS, and I like that much better. Is the steering feel like my Boxster? No, not remotely, unfortunately. 2. From the samples I've driven, the brakes feel different on the base vs the GTS (with the GTS feeling better, as in more precise and less slop). The GTS has a "compromise" braking set-up, midway between the Base/S and the Turbo. If you really want the very best driving Macan, you probably want a Turbo PP (which I've never had the pleasure of driving.)

You should also know that there are supposed to be some brake system changes on the 2019 Macan; I have not driven one so I don't know if the brake feel is different. Also, some people have claimed the steering is lighter on the 2019; I don't know how accurate that might be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Alright so starting this off by saying I’m gonna buy this car tomorrow evening after a test drive unless you wiser people on here reply with a bunch of, “absolutely please do not do this you are making a huge mistake” comments lol.

2016 Macan Turbo PP popped up 5 days ago

ORIGINAL LISTING
VIN ANALYTICS

It literally is the /exact/ way I would have ordered it, white ext, body colored sideblade, black leather interior no alca, piano black inlays, 20 RS Spyder wheels, rectilinear exhaust tips, simple chrome lettering and it’s a turbo pp.

So then I obviously started doing my research on it through carfax.
- First owner (of 2) was in Newport Beach, CA
- Car came with original warranty expires 3/2020
- First owner kept for a year and then sold it to a dealership
- Second owner buys vehicle as CPO with CPO 100,000 mile warranty that expires 3/2022
- Then drives vehicle for two years but during that time reports “damage to the front” in june of 2018.
- Then it lists the owner had vehicle washed / detailed regular check ins the rest of 2018 at the local porsche dealer.

I called the seller who is selling because they already got a new 2019 Cayenne and they just switch cars every two years or so to get the latest. The owner brought up the carfax accident before I even mentioned it just up front and then also suggested I get a PPI on the car before buying to make sure anything I’m worried about is fine and it’s under warranty. The damage was basically it was in a wal-mart like parking lot they were behind someone going forwards and that person was in reverse to shift back to let a car turn, but when the owner honked the person just reversed into them so the accident is “supposedly” a very low speed minor one. They said it all got repaired at the nearest porsche authorized repair place and that it was all done with original Porsche parts etc. said the car has no problems everything is fine.

TL;DR
Should I get this 2016 Macan Turbo PP for $47,500 (MSRP $80,625) because it has every exact detail that I want, it’s 20 miles away from me, and it’s under CPO 100,000 mile warranty that expires 3/2022 despite being in a minor small accident and having 40k miles and not being sold at a dealership but from an individual. I mostly care that I’m not flushing 48k straight down the toilet buying a turbo macan from a random individual with a damage listed on it’s carfax report. Like is this car just totally worthless with a mark like that on the report or would you think a Porsche dealer would pay at least 35-40k for this thing if I just decided to return it tomorrow to one of them?

I know I could wait for other less risky inventory or jump through other shipping / replacing various part hoops, but this one is literally perfect and right here and I’d be really happy with it as long as it didn’t like fall apart tomorrow or I was gettin ripped on the deal somehow.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
TL;DR
Should I get this 2016 Macan Turbo PP for $47,500 (MSRP $80,625) because it has every exact detail that I want, it’s 20 miles away from me, and it’s under CPO 100,000 mile warranty that expires 3/2022 despite being in a minor small accident and having 40k miles and not being sold at a dealership but from an individual. I mostly care that I’m not flushing 48k straight down the toilet buying a turbo macan from a random individual with a damage listed on it’s carfax report. Like is this car just totally worthless with a mark like that on the report or would you think a Porsche dealer would pay at least 35-40k for this thing if I just decided to return it tomorrow to one of them?

I know I could wait for other less risky inventory or jump through other shipping / replacing various part hoops, but this one is literally perfect and right here and I’d be really happy with it as long as it didn’t like fall apart tomorrow or I was gettin ripped on the deal somehow.

This is a huge decision . I feel if there are doubts don't buy anything . I realize the price looks great but with 40K miles, 2 owners and an accident there are just too many unknowns . I understand that shipping and travel is inconvenient and in Norcal you should not have to bother .

My vote goes to waiting . Dont let the aesthetics and ease be the only focus . You already have an R8 for fun . That car is supposed top be practical and with its history , age, and miles , in the absence of CPO , or future warranty .... it sounds like too much .

I personally would not even drive it . They all look pretty and drive well on day 1 .

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would say that it is fairly priced for what it is but there are a few things to consider:
1. how long do you plan to keep it? when you go to sell it, it will continue to be 'marked' as having been in a collision and you will be explaining it to a prospective buyer 3rd hand
2. it isn't a very well equipped Turbo so if it is perfect for you today, that is great...but it may be a harder sell down the road (again, unless priced appropriately)
3. definitely get a good PPI

Bottom line: if you plan to keep it for a while and it truly 'perfectly' meet your needs, I'd say go for it....and try to get for under $45K if you can.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts