Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I just don't know how often you would use it - I barely use my cruise control now. Feel so disenfranchised from my car and especially as you are buying a driving machine.

Though I do try and convince my wife to use it when she drives ...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Yep it's a must for me, just for the Porsche Active Safety component. The ACC is handy, I hear especially handy in stop-go traffic as it stops all the way down to a halt then goes again once you tap the accelerator.

CC isn't very popular in some markets though; in the UK, standard cruise control is a cost option!

·
Registered
912 Posts
After doing research on it....I'm getting it. There's another thread on PAS, it won't stop for everything (I posted the sensor limits from the Bosch system), but it's a good insurance policy.

I commute on two lane roads, and always get stuck behind a slower driver....typically below the speed limit. Drivers around here don't use CC, so speed varies +/- 10mph and will drive you nuts. I'm hoping the ACC will help temper some of my......errr....frustration issues where I pass a given vehicle at a rapid pace.....typically with a......friendly gesture.

I also get a lot of cross traffic, where people pull out and don't get up to speed. Long trips it should be nice as well.

Reactions: L_K

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Another option I am considering that could go with ACC-PAS, as a safety enhancement is Lane Keep Assist. Just for the odd occasion when you are on a long drive and are sleepy :-(

Anybody know if the Porsche LKA is very intrusive and also how good it is ? I have heard a lot of negative reviews in general about Lane Departure Warning (as it is called in other Porsche models).

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Good video, looks like a great option if you can get use of out it.

I make about 10 road trips a year, ~450 miles round trip and hardly use cruise control. However, having ACC in place would probably increase my usage. Expensive option...

·
Registered
351 Posts
I do have a long'ish commute for now - 40 miles each way, don't know how much I would enjoy relinquishing control (already this is my first non-manual/stick car)

Most commentators online speak about the ACC, but not the PAS
Am worried, that is 4 years time, PAS is going to be standard on most crap- mundane cars and this car will not have it.
And yes, I am not thinking of resale value, more just not wanting to be behind the times.

Just wish it wasn't so pricey

·
Registered
643 Posts
I just don't know how often you would use it - I barely use my cruise control now. Feel so disenfranchised from my car and especially as you are buying a driving machine.

Though I do try and convince my wife to use it when she drives ...
I almost never use cruise control because I start day dreaming when I do. For me it's a dangerous feature in a car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm considering adding ACC (and PAS). A friend of mine told me he had it on a BMW. He complained the minimum gap was so big cars kept entering the lane in front of him.

I drive less agressively than my friend, but I could see that being annoying. Maybe it would do me good to develop a more relaxed attitude to other drivers, and I can see the ACC would allow one to be more relaxed.

Would those who have used the PAS comment please. I understand it is defined as a time interval, and that interval increases with speed. Do you find your self with a bigger gap in front than you would choose when following another car?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had an Audi A6 with ACC and do not have it on my Macan. It has some safety aspects for sure, but I found other aspects a annoying. If you are traveling at 70 mph and catch up to a car going 65 mph you slow to 65 and if you're not paying attention that's where you will stay. It happened to me over and over. If someone changes lanes in front of you into the safety zone your car will immediately and quickly slow down to get the spacing back. The first few times that happened to me I was surprised. The computer wants its spacing back and right now. The car entering your lane may be traveling at a faster speed than you, but till it clears your safety space your car is slowing down. I've only had it on one car and don't miss it a bit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks Birddog. That was a useful review.

I guess the ACC can be turned off, but think the PAS is always on. Does the PAS ever become annoying? Do you get warnings, or vene braking when you're closer than Porsche thinks is safe but when you're OK with it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
We had ACC on our 2013 Cayenne Turbo. I didn't think I would like it, but I have a 35 mile highway commute to work. Once I began to use, I loved it enough to order on my Macan. It really does come in handy on long commutes!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If it was on a switch between regular cruise, and acc, I would like it more. I have come to like it on my car, but this macan is my wife's, and the feature would annoy her. Once you know how the car reacts, you just need to apply some gas to override the auto braking the car does to get the gap back when another car triggers it. Meaning a car that squeezes into the gap, but is not worth braking over. The system will alarm at you the whole time you are over riding it with gas, but it won't brake at least. Once the gap slowly reforms, you let off the gas and it resumes control, back to normal again.

It's a pain on a busy highway, but works really well on a two lane highway. There are still times where your car will almost come to a stop if one ahead is slowing to turn. people behind will wonder why the heck you are braking for the car that isn't there anymore. It's a bit slow to realize that the car is gone, and then slow to resume speed.

The braking feature is great of course for safety.

So to sum it up, you intervene with gas or brake before it does, and then the results are much better. It will resume auto control once the gap criteria is met, without having to press any buttons.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I drove a Cayenne and tested the ACC today. I thought it pretty good and have added it to my order. $1600 for ACC and PAA doesn't seem expensive to me. It's roughly equal to some extra pieces of adorning leather and less than some wheel options which add little utility.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've added too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.