Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, I want to say that the misses, the dog and I are safe, but yesterday’s harrowing experience was an eye opener. Will traveling south on the 405 highway in moderate to medium traffic, and I encouraged the misses, who was driving, to use ACC. For about twenty miles, the system, set at 75 mph, worked great, even bringing the car to a complete stop several times as traffic increased. Unfortunately, while stopped, the car in front of us exitted the carpool lane, and the misses steered the car slightly to the left to maneuver around the car. Suddenly, the car bolted forward as if it did not see the white BMW in front. Due to her quick reaction time, the misses stopped our Macan car before slamming into the car in front, and luckily the car behind us was not too close. Shaken and confused, the misses has vowed never to use ACC again. I am, however, open to using this technology. I will let the Porsche know of our experience, and I will be interested in their response, if any. Once we arrived at our destination, the misses did a little research and found out that other adaptive cruise control systems by other car makers other have struggled in similar scenarios. We provide this information to the forum as a note of concern when using ACC.

·
Super Moderator
4,173 Posts
I'd imagine that by steering around the BMW in front of your Macan, the ACC radar 'saw' clear
highway ahead and accelerated to get your vehicle back up to its pre-set speed. I've noted that
a disengage/re-engage operation for regular Macan CC results in a wide open throttle action to
get the vehicle back to its pre-set speed. I've found it works better to manually re-accelerate
in a more gentle fashion, the re-engage the CC at or near the pre-set speed.

:)

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I'd imagine that by steering around the BMW in front of your Macan, the ACC radar 'saw' clear
highway ahead and accelerated to get your vehicle back up to its pre-set speed. I've noted that
a disengage/re-engage operation for regular Macan CC results in a wide open throttle action to
get the vehicle back to its pre-set speed. I've found it works better to manually re-accelerate
in a more gentle fashion, the re-engage the CC at or near the pre-set speed.

:)
That is likely what happened. I think the manual specifically refers to this kind of situation as well as in turns where the car in front of you moves out of the line of sight.

The situation I come across is when Im in the left lane and someone cuts in front of me. The car then brakes and sometimes gives the person behind you an interesting experience. I have gotten used to turning ACC off in that kind of traffic:

ACC is not an autonomous driving system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use ACC extensively in my 2011 F10 535 xi. I use it in city traffic and on the freeway. On the open freeway with light traffic, I let it do it’s work. But in heavy traffic, my foot is usually hovering over the brake or accelerator at all times. In such situations, I consider it an additional safety measure to slow down if traffic suddenly slows.

·
Registered
2017 Macan S, rhodium silver, PTV/PASM, PP+, COBB, driven on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway track
242 Posts
First time poster. Thanks to all for the info I've gotten from the forum, including this one about ACC.

I have been using ACC a lot recently to decrease the boredom of a 70 mile round trip commute. Just have to remember it's not an autonomous driving system. Agree with Jkb545: I've got my foot over the accelerator/brake the whole time. I remember a previous poster in another ACC thread state that was the worse combination, having to not only pay attention to your own driving but also keeping in mind ACC's reaction to traffic. That said, as long as you are not changing lanes the pros outweigh the cons.
On a side note, I've noticed better mileage, likely because I'm not hitting the throttle and keeping a constant speed. For me, ACC>coasting>'normal' driving. I drive relatively flat roads, though, so I probably don't get as much advantage from coasting mode as some.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I use the ACC in my Macan often, and what surprises me is that the owners manual doesn't really point out how useful it is is stop and go traffic.

I think some of the other posters are correct in pointing out that some people are confusing ACC with autonomous driving. I can understand why some drivers don't immediately grasp the concept and may need to return to the owners manual more than once until they completely "get it".

I would also say that having ACC set to 75 mph in stop and go traffic is probably asking for trouble.

The issues being discussed are not at all unique to the Macan.

·
Registered
441 Posts
No ACC for me . I havent used cruise control ever . I like to drive my cars myself.
... that and lock, unlock your car with the key fob! :) I think we are about the same age Yrralis, and I too don't appreciate some of the new technology, I just want to experience the road and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
In other Porsche models there is a more expensive and more sophisticated version of ACC which other automakers also offer which looks around and ahead of the car in front of you to avoid that happening, etc. I noticed while using ACC on my former Ford Raptor, that in a back country road it would very quickly lose sight of the vehicle in front on curves, even moderate ones. I also never trusted it in traffic as when cars ahead slowed quickly, I felt it was too slow to react and I’d rear end someone.

·
Registered
139 Posts
First and foremost, I want to say that the misses, the dog and I are safe, but yesterday’s harrowing experience was an eye opener. Will traveling south on the 405 highway in moderate to medium traffic, and I encouraged the misses, who was driving, to use ACC. For about twenty miles, the system, set at 75 mph, worked great, even bringing the car to a complete stop several times as traffic increased. Unfortunately, while stopped, the car in front of us exitted the carpool lane, and the misses steered the car slightly to the left to maneuver around the car. Suddenly, the car bolted forward as if it did not see the white BMW in front. Due to her quick reaction time, the misses stopped our Macan car before slamming into the car in front, and luckily the car behind us was not too close. Shaken and confused, the misses has vowed never to use ACC again. I am, however, open to using this technology. I will let the Porsche know of our experience, and I will be interested in their response, if any. Once we arrived at our destination, the misses did a little research and found out that other adaptive cruise control systems by other car makers other have struggled in similar scenarios. We provide this information to the forum as a note of concern when using ACC.

This is bound to happen and is clearly mentioned in the manual. I am glad everyone is ok.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I wish there was an old fashioned key . I would even pay to have one as an option.
Personally I don't miss using a key to start my car at all...been keyless for at least 10 yrs now. Do you own an older Porsche? Why did you buy a newer Porsche if you are averse to technology?

In the case of ACC, I didn't choose the option solely because I rarely drive long distances...regular cruise control is sufficient for me for the few times I actually use it.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I wish there was an old fashioned key . I would even pay to have one as an option.
to be perfectly honest, I would be very happy with the same pushbutton that we have on our two BMWs. I have long been concerned that the fake key could be mistaken by a potential thief for my mistakenly leaving the keys in the Macan, and I could end up with a broken window.

Even if the button was on the right side of the steering column instead of the left. Don’t tell anybody I said that… The Porsche police are going to come looking for me.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
... that and lock, unlock your car with the key fob! :) I think we are about the same age Yrralis, and I too don't appreciate some of the new technology, I just want to experience the road and enjoy the ride!
I recently turned 70, the S is the first car I've owned that has a smart (i.e., auto-anything) fob, paddle shifters, DCT, motorized steering column, moving cornering lights, the whupp-whupp of LCA, the blind-spot radar and lights, motorized lift-gate, and probably some other stuff. And certainly the first car I've owned that handles, tracks, steers, etc., as brilliantly as this one.

But I like all that stuff, and like not having to physically take a key out of my pants or jacket pocket. And because my wife and I pretty evenly split driving for trips, errands, etc., the memory function -- first time for that, too -- is a real pleasure. And I don't mind that the seat backs up for me a bit, when getting out of the car.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Now, in terms of actually manipulating the car -- as opposed to informing me -- that's a different thing entirely. I don't think I'd ever want LKA. I get an erroneous LCA warning at least once a day, when the thing thinks a crosswalk or an especially straight tar snake is a lane marker, and I wouldn't want a computer nudging the steering at all. (I don't even allow the auto start/stop function to do its thing.)

And same goes for ACC.

We take some day+ superslab trips to visit family, and I appreciate the ankle- and knee-saving aspects of regular cruise control. And from what I've read and what I can imagine, I can see how ACC might save you from a collision if you're half asleep or maybe inattentive just at the wrong time.

That said, it seems that, to me, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. I mean, it seems folks have to be more vigilant when using ACC than regular cruise. Keep your foot hovering over the brake, that sort of thing, because the system may screw up, or at least behave in a manner that you're not expecting. Seems less relaxing than just using regular cruise, when you're regularly alert, and you're right foot is on the floor, same as if you were just driving without the cruise on.

Well, that's me. I appreciate this discussion because, at a minimum, I won't have any regrets in terms of not having ordered ACC.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Spell check: missus, not misses (which means a few single females or not hits but misses). Listen, I got nuttin' better to do.
Oh, thank you. That was driving me crazy.

- Another spelling & grammar-phile.

• Haha
Reactions: cdarwinj

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I learnt the ACC limitations early on without getting into a dangerous situation. I don't depend on LKA or BLIS but use it in conjunction with my 43 years of driving experience including closed roads street racing pony cars back in the pre Internet , pre social media simpler times.

Reactions: Shark and FJG
1 - 20 of 160 Posts