Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Jaguar Land Rover developing a Evoque convertible, is it a sign that all compact SUVs will come as convertibles soon? SUVs are getting smaller, lower to the ground, and more luxurious. Aren't convertible roofs the next logical step?

Surely, the vehicles would sell, but isn't there something weird about the idea of a convertible SUV?

Would you be happy if Porsche were to release a convertible version of the Macan, or the cayenne for that matter?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd have to agree that SUVs should resist the temptation to turn themselves into convertibles, and people should resist the temptation to buy them if they are built. First of all, they just look awkward. Second, they lose a lot of cargo space.

The smaller Macan may make a better convertible than the Cayenne, but after seeing the convertible Land Rover, I think I can write-off convertible crossovers for the next while.

Sometimes I think people want it all in their vehicle, but by doing so they get such a weird convertible, hybrid, compact, SUV, blah, blah, blah that the car doesn't make sense anymore.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SUV's should never be turned into convertibles.
Just when i thought the Evoque convertible was bad enough, the Cayenne vert shows up here LOL

btw does the Evoque convertible look like a boat to anyone? I sure think it does.

·
Registered
64 Posts
SUV's should never be turned into convertibles.
Just when i thought the Evoque convertible was bad enough, the Cayenne vert shows up here LOL

btw does the Evoque convertible look like a boat to anyone? I sure think it does.

It looks too big and tall to be a convertible. Something just looks off about it. I could maybe see it working better on a even smaller crossover, but even then it would feel forced. Convertibles are meant to be small and low to the ground. SUVs/crossovers are neither.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i doubt Porsche will do it but there's a good chance NCE will. they turned a Cayenne into a convertible

I thought that this picture was just some rendering, but now I learn that this car actually exists! Those wooden panel decals on the sides and front are ugly, and the convertible roof is not helping anything. Whoever did the custom job on that car will not be coming anywhere near my car.

·
Registered
247 Posts
dont forget about this fun little love child. I think Nissan set the trend actually

A convertible roof would ruin the Macan, it already has a lovely silhouette to it (for a crossover) a convertible Macan would be more to say look what we can do then actually appealing to shoppers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
dont forget about this fun little love child. I think Nissan set the trend actually

A convertible roof would ruin the Macan, it already has a lovely silhouette to it (for a crossover) a convertible Macan would be more to say look what we can do then actually appealing to shoppers.

The Murrano convertible thing was recently ranked as one of the most embarrassing cars to own by a Forbes magazine survey. This just reaffirms my hatred of crossover convertibles. Forbes says the car looks like a bathtub with wheels. It's amazing how car companies develop and release cars that are soooooooooooo ugly, just because some guy was like "I like convertibles!"

·
Registered
64 Posts
only way it happens is if Range Rover does it, then Porsche will respond. The Macan was built with the Evoque in mind as a main competitor.
I would die a little bit if Porsche actually announced a convertible Macan or Cayenne. i haven't seen a single crossover convertible that has looked good. While I have seen crossover convertible in pictures online, I haven't encountered any on the street. This makes me think that there really isn't that much demand for them.

has there ever been an uglier convertible made than the Murrano convertible? That would be a great Jalopnik article.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.