21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
add to this thread.....
I have a 2015 S. IMHO the a/c never worked as well as I think it should have. I played with all the a/c settings etc, but could never could get much better. The dealership told me the refrigerant was at the normal range and all parts appeared OK. So I lived with it. I do have ventilated seats . They help a lot in the summer here in Ga.
My S is out of warranty now and just last week, my a/c was definitely not working much at all. If I remember correctly the air from the vents was at 55F? I am fairly well versed in troubleshooting and repairing cars...so I decided to look into the problem myself. End result ...the R -134 refrigerant was low so... I did a DIY charge. The system did take one complete can. This placed the charge at well within the acceptable range ( at ambient temp of 65F) and afterward the vent air was measured at 41F.
My point is --if you are somewhat comfortable in working on your own car ( changing plugs, oil, belts etc) you can do this easily. The low pressure port is easily reachable after removing the drivers side chad thing in the engine bay. It has either 4-5 pop ups to remove and then it comes right off. It took me about 30 mins to complete. I had a little car bonding time and also saved a few dollars.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
41˚F is excellent. I think Porsche & other dealers B.S. customers (in warranty) Re performance of AC. I have experienced this many times with Ford, Chevy, etc. Once I began bringing in my $10 T-stat & having service manager sit in the hot car with me, in AZ summer, with his T-stat & show him a 50's reading & tell him that it S/B low 40s, they STFU & fix it....every.single.time.

They seem to like to put their hand at the vent & say it feels cold to me if you do not talk specific temperatures.

I think if the leak is large & most of the refrigerant leaks out, it is relatively easy for them to repair. But, when it is a small leak, it takes many hours to diagnose exactly where it is leaking & they do not seem to like that.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts