Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Macan recently but noticed yesterday, my A/C stopped working. It is not blowing cold air anymore :( I have a trip to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at.

Would dealer cover this under warranty? I'm still within the basic 4yr 50K mile warranty on it.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That should 100% be covered under the factory warranty. Rest easy.

Also concerning it quit on you so early. Doubtful as root cause, but have you checked your cabin filter?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That should 100% be covered under the factory warranty. Rest easy.

Also concerning it quit on you so early. Doubtful as root cause, but have you checked your cabin filter?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
'ppreciate the quick feedback on this. Waiting on the cabin filter from Suncoast so I could replace it myself when it arrives in 2 days.

Whew! Thanks for the reassurance, Houston weather is brutal in the summer. I didnt mind driving with windows down, Sport mode on, Exhaust button on and listening to that exhaust note when it downshifts but wifey sitting in the front passengers seat didnt want any of that. Oh well :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Got my Macan recently but noticed yesterday, my A/C stopped working. It is not blowing cold air anymore :( I have a trip to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at.

Would dealer cover this under warranty? I'm still within the basic 4yr 50K mile warranty on it.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong here?

Thanks in advance.
Mine is in for the same thing (AC blows, but it's not cold). They found a leak and they're fixing it under warranty. I dropped it off on 08/30. I "should" get it back tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm putting miles on their '19 Base Macan. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is in for the same thing (AC blows, but it's not cold). They found a leak and they're fixing it under warranty. I dropped it off on 08/30. I "should" get it back tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm putting miles on their '19 Base Macan. :)
I noticed you're in Houston as well. Going to the North Houston one to get the A/C repaired because the other 2 have no loaner cars available. I've read good reviews of that dealership so i'm hoping not to get disappointed.

Thats a nice loaner btw:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
I noticed you're in Houston as well. Going to the North Houston one to get the A/C repaired because the other 2 have no loaner cars available. I've read good reviews of that dealership so i'm hoping not to get disappointed.

Thats a nice loaner btw:D
I'm actually in the DFW area. Good luck on the repair. I'll be glad to get mine back! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Service advisor just called back. Apparently, mine was low on Freon so they refilled it and all was good to go. They even kept it for a day to test for leaks with a dye but didnt find any. Its a 2017 and already out of Freon? I find that unusual. My 2010 Mercedes E350 sedan which I traded for my GTS never ran out of Freon since I owned the car from day 1.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Service advisor just called back. Apparently, mine was low on Freon so they refilled it and all was good to go. They even kept it for a day to test for leaks with a dye but didnt find any. Its a 2017 and already out of Freon? I find that unusual. My 2010 Mercedes E350 sedan which I traded for my GTS never ran out of Freon since I owned the car from day 1.
That is strange. My 10 year-old C63 that I bought new still hasn't had any issues.

·
Registered
108 Posts
After only 2-3 yrs, I'd be concerned about it being that low AND them not finding something to repair (under warranty). :(

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
After only 2-3 yrs, I'd be concerned about it being that low AND them not finding something to repair (under warranty). :(
Agree here regarding the loss of Freon. It’s leaking somewhere. I would make a point to get it back to the dealer before your warranty expires. If it’s low again they should be able tell if there has been any loss by reading their gauges.

If low there is a leak. If charge is ok then the factory charge was off not likely. Better to be safe than sorry don’t wait for it to not cool if you have a slow leak.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@notmac1 you made excellent suggestion. I would definitely make sure to do that before warranty runs out.

Speaking of warranties, I also noticed the black sport exhaust tips are chipped and found a thread here somewhere about some folks who get theirs replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
@notmac1 you made excellent suggestion. I would definitely make sure to do that before warranty runs out.

Speaking of warranties, I also noticed the black sport exhaust tips are chipped and found a thread here somewhere about some folks who get theirs replaced under warranty.
I agree that you have a leak somewhere. I incorrectly thought that as long as you are w/in the warranty period, dealer will fix any A/C issue @ N/C. They distinguish between repair, if a defect & "A/C service."
I do not believe car A/C system requires any service unless there is a problem such as a leak or failure on a part of the A/C system.

Recently my Macan A/C was not quite as cold as it had been for the almost 4 years I had it. I measure my vent temperatures when I get a new car & anytime I suspect an issue. In Phoenix, I NEED COLD A/C!
Macan center vents used to blow low 40s˚F. It was blowing ~ 49˚F.
They added 0.3 lbs refrigerant but found no leak. Now it blows 41˚F. So, it is working as designed once again.
I was told they checked & no leaks, only 0.3 pounds low refrigerant, which is normal for a car that's four years old. Usually if you wanted that checked, you have to pay for it.
Huh?
They covered it under "A customer appreciation award." Had me sign a statement acknowledging that this work on the A/C system carries no warranty! I asked for a copy of what I signed re this 'appreciation award' & when I got home, it was NOT included in the bundle of paperwork despite specifically asking the person at the check out desk for it. I asked for clarification from my SA & was told it is covered only if they find a defect such as a leak or failed component. (Yeah, but how do they know unless they check?)

So, I believe there was/is a small leak & the tech didn't want to spend the time needed to track it down. It is NOT always easy to find small leaks. I have had other cars, some under warranty & others where I paid & sometimes had to bring the car back in several times to finally get the system blowing low 40s again. Usually I hear that they found another leak, etc.

I fully expect my Macan to leak out more refrigerant & require $$$ from me to fix it. Hopefully it will be several years.

·
Registered
644 Posts
99 with the heat index here yesterday! In the pool all afternoon and grilled out. I still don’t think my AC is blowing cold enough either... but honestly, when it’s 100+ outside, it’s incredibly hard for any system to really get ice cold. Except for Toyotas, holy crap, those ACs are amazing.

I may have mine checked out going into next summer (by my Indy of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I expect my A/C to blow low 40s from center vents even when it is 115˚F. And they do.
You can buy a ~ $10 Thermometer. I got mine @ Walmart for $10 several years ago. I think they no longer carry it.
AcuRite Digital Meat Thermometer, 00641W

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, a week ago I took my GTS back to the dealer to have them check a/c again because the air does not feel cold enough even when set to 67/68 deg. They are replacing the compressor under warranty. Part is on order from Atlanta. This repair would have costed $$$$ out of warranty!!!

Thank you all for the smart advise to goback while im still under warranty. I also got new black exhaust tips under warranty!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Glad you got it fixed under warranty! Were you told there was a leak (@ the compressor) & your refrigerant was low?
Ask what it would have cost once warranty expired. I'm guessing well over 1k.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The cost would have been $4600 for this service. All this work was covered under standard warranty.

Here's the actual diagnosis and repair verbatim on my invoice:

===
Performed inspection of refrigerant system. Found evaporator to be leaking. Removed and replaced faulty evaporator. Charged refrigerant system and ensured that cooling performance was optimal.
===

The parts that were replaced are as follows:

===
95B-898--030 Distributor
9A7-004-858 O-Ring
955-573-749-00 O-Ring
R134A Freon (Ounce)
===

Then I assume this is the coded labor "272 W 9.77"? Does that mean close to 10 hours of labor?

So its not the compressor but the distributor that was replaced? Its a $436 part on Suncoast when I looked up that "Distributor" part number.

Finally, the sport exhaust tail pipes were also replaced under warranty with the following part numbers:

===
95B-253-682-Q G Tailpipe
95B-253-682-R G Tailpipe
95B-253-681-Q G Tailpipe
95B-253-681-R G Tailpipe
===

I hope this post helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts