Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to order a 2017 macan soon, but still looking around. Joined this site for owner insight, etc. I have heard the porsche A/C performance in the macan is not that great. i have currently owned several bmw's and their a/c performance is very good. its always cold enough at 72 or 74 even in south texas during the summer. is the Porsche a/c performance comparable? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Absolutely no problems cooling the cabin, even on very hot days.

Some complain about the logic of the system in terms of airflow, etc, but I have had no problems at all. Leave the system on AUTO, adjust temperature as needed...

But with regards to pure cooling power, no concerns.

Reactions: Mini and RJMcInnis

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not the best AC among the cars I have owned. The steering wheel is blocking the vent for the driver. The adjustment for the air flow does not stay locked. Kind of quirky due to no on/off switch. Other than that, I would not rule out the car just because of the AC shortcomings!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
@atadams77, you can do a search on this topic and gets lots of opinions and input, but most agree the early Macans (MY2015) had a/c air flow that was idiosyncratic to say the least. There was a service bulletin (reprogram) that helped, but didn't fix it completely, at least in my '15 S. My '17 GTS, however, does not exhibit any of these issues. I wish the placement of the outlets was a little better, however, as the steering wheel interferes with air flow. I live in Tucson and have never found the actual a/c air temp to be a problem on either car.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Not the best AC among the cars I have owned. The steering wheel is blocking the vent for the driver. The adjustment for the air flow does not stay locked. Kind of quirky due to no on/off switch. Other than that, I would not rule out the car just because of the AC short comings!
If you have Comfort Memory, the setting for the airflow and A/C do, indeed, stay where you put them.

If I'm the only person in the car, I can point 3, count 'em, 3 vents at me: the left-most one by the ignition, and both center console vents. No lack of airflow or blockage by the steering wheel IMHO.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you have Comfort Memory, the setting for the airflow and A/C do, indeed, stay where you put them.

If I'm the only person in the car, I can point 3, count 'em, 3 vents at me: the left-most one by the ignition, and both center console vents. No lack of airflow or blockage by the steering wheel IMHO.
Not familiar with Comfort Memory. Enlighten me please.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not familiar with Comfort Memory. Enlighten me please.
Comfort Memory Package allows for settings to be saved to a vehicle key. So, if you have two different drivers each driver's settings will be restored when they unlock the vehicle with their key.

If you have this feature and do not save your settings to your key before exiting, it will return the settings to the last saved state next time you unlock the car.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
press to Max A/C , set to temp to Lo and air flow High. Turn the car into ice box within 10 minutes time. No problem from day 1 and it has been slightly over 2 yrs in service for me.

It's true the center vents could be placed in a better position.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
My AC works perfectly. No issues at all. Mine is a MY15.

·
Registered
51 Posts
... and there's the cooled seats. Very nice on a hot day.

·
Registered
950 Posts
It's a little flaky on my '15 but no shortage of horsepower. It will turn the cabin into an icebox in no time if that's your concern. The vent positions are terrible so I've spent more time thinking about AC settings in two years of Macan ownership than 12 years of BMW ownership.

My main beef is that the vent positions make my hands cold. As a result I end up leaving it at 75 and using the seat cooling, which is glorious. A simple test drive will give you all the answers you need.

·
Registered
950 Posts
P.S. The glove box is air conditioned as well. I know a lot of cars have this now but it's still a great luxury.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Not sure how/why other people have issues with theirs, but I find the AC in my 15 S to be more than acceptable. I don't find it to be substantially better or any worse than the Audis or BMWs or Jeeps I've had in the past.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The AC was appallingly bad in my '15 T, an absolute shocker.

Fortunately my '17 T has great AC - apart from the vent placement that others have noted - I can't fault it. Not quite in the same league as Volvo, but comparable to BMW.

My advice would be to order the AC seats - you will love them:)

Reactions: yrralis1

·
Registered
256 Posts
Comfort Memory Package allows for settings to be saved to a vehicle key. So, if you have two different drivers each driver's settings will be restored when they unlock the vehicle with their key.

If you have this feature and do not save your settings to your key before exiting, it will return the settings to the last saved state next time you unlock the car.
I presume this package is an option, right? Don't remember whether I have this. Is this a stand alone package or part of another option? Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My '15 S has given me plenty of A/C troubles. The system had leaks on two different occasions this past summer and the second time it took the dealer over a week to fix it (they claimed they needed a part from Germany). In addition to that, one of the center vents never seemed to work right from day one, and when they pulled out the radio for replacement (that's another story), they found that the duct was not attached to the vent properly. I also find the vent positions to be terrible. I loved the A/C in my BMW's, but in the Macan, I have a mostly hate relationship with it. The A/C in my '87 911 is fantastic. Of course it's all aftermarket and I installed it myself.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe "cooled seats" circulate the ambient cabin air and is not really air conditioned. Please correct me if I;m wrong. Cooler the cabin, cooler the seat air. No problem cooling my MY '17 in this hot Atlanta summer.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts