Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After days and days of searching and with invaluable guidance from the 992 rennlist folks, I found a dealer with a (precious) allocation to generate a commission number with a March build date. The fact that it's located near 4,277 miles from where I live is just (another) logistical challenge. Build for those interested: PMD1S2N8.

Please note for those shopping for a cousin to their Macan, that all aerokits have been suspended through 2022. More details (not really) can be found here: WARNING: ALL AEROKITS SUSPENDED - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

siberian

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Very nice and quite unique !!! Look forward to seeing real life photos Vs the configurator and hearing your driving impressions . When do you get it ?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dealer thinks end of May/June and then the overland and barge trek to Anchorage. I fly down and pick it up to drive the 400 odd miles back to 65 North.

Ditched the aerokit I had selected but invalidated and just went with the Sport Design which kept all the aesthetics (other than the actual "table" as TOWMBO calls it) and saved near 2 grand to be applied to XPEL.

Note the rear wiper, after the Macan experience with that "wonderful" rear window I wasn't taking any chances :oops: The pictures (unless you select the 360 degree view) doesn't show the Guards Red deviated stitching and leaving the gauges black (rather than red, yellow etc.) really makes the interior stand out.

Forty year after my last 911, it's fitting that this being no doubt my last car, it be a 911!

siberian

Reactions: 95B3.6

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wow.... I changed the color to Yellow and the deviated stiching as well for you.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Dealer thinks end of May/June and then the overland and barge trek to Anchorage. I fly down and pick it up to drive the 400 odd miles back to 65 North.

Ditched the aerokit I had selected but invalidated and just went with the Sport Design which kept all the aesthetics (other than the actual "table" as TOWMBO calls it) and saved near 2 grand to be applied to XPEL.

Note the rear wiper, after the Macan experience with that "wonderful" rear window I wasn't taking any chances :oops: The pictures (unless you select the 360 degree view) doesn't show the Guards Red deviated stitching and leaving the gauges black (rather than red, yellow etc.) really makes the interior stand out.

Forty year after my last 911, it's fitting that this being no doubt my last car, it be a 911!

siberian
Actually I think the Aero kit wings on 992's look horrible. Similar to what 16 year olds put on their Corolla's :) Be happy it's not available. The performance of the 4s is really good, and the new PDK is unbelievably good. I don't remember on your design if you got the sport side skirts or not but you should consider them if you are getting the sports design fascia. It just completes it, without looks like something is missing. Good luck and enjoy, you're going to love that car. BTW PDCC is amazing too, I did not have it on my 991.2 but do on this car. It's my favorite option.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What a great build. Congrats! Which dealer did you order it from, and how complicated was it to arrange for the transportation to Alaska?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx Muhney for your suggestion. I wasn't entirely sold on the aerokit but I wanted the wing as a reminder of my 911 with the duck tail I added. Alas as it impedes airflow to the turbos it's not possible to use that design. It wold have been awesome.

It's been 40 years since my last Porsche a 911 Targa that shared it's 2.2L engine with my Westphalia camper in summer when we'd go camping in Europe (that 1600cc trying to move a brick was painful up the Swiss Alps). So it's fitting that for my recent 70th my last car should be a Porsche.

Digby. I ordered from CT, about 4,740 miles away; allocations are incredibly scarce plus getting a good discount even harder. As to transport, I'd reckon about $3,500 truck and barge to Anchorage and then drive down to pick it up. Of course I could always call Kalitta Airways and airfreight it - probably 10 grand (n)

Thank you all for your comments!

siberian

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanx Muhney for your suggestion. I wasn't entirely sold on the aerokit but I wanted the wing as a reminder of my 911 with the duck tail I added. Alas as it impedes airflow to the turbos it's not possible to use that design. It wold have been awesome.

It's been 40 years since my last Porsche a 911 Targa that shared it's 2.2L engine with my Westphalia camper in summer when we'd go camping in Europe (that 1600cc trying to move a brick was painful up the Swiss Alps). So it's fitting that for my recent 70th my last car should be a Porsche.

Digby. I ordered from CT, about 4,740 miles away; allocations are incredibly scarce plus getting a good discount even harder. As to transport, I'd reckon about $3,500 truck and barge to Anchorage and then drive down to pick it up. Of course I could always call Kalitta Airways and airfreight it - probably 10 grand (n)

siberian
Siberian, It's difficult to tell on the config system what a car looks like with Turbo front fascia and no side skirts. But if you look at the lower front lip on the Turbo front fasica, the side skirts continue that look. It's not horrible with out the side skirts just looks unfinished. Best of luck, the difference you are going to experience will be huge. I can't wait to hear how great it is. heres a picture of my car with the side skirts.

Reactions: Canuck

·
Registered
10,246 Posts

siberian
Agree with @muhney on the aerokit . I read 40 years but have you driven the recent 911 ? Are you locked on the order ?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Nice car, congratulations!
Did you consider PEC delivery in L.A?
Shorter drive for you.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Siberian, It's difficult to tell on the config system what a car looks like with Turbo front fascia and no side skirts. But if you look at the lower front lip on the Turbo front fasica, the side skirts continue that look. It's not horrible with out the side skirts just looks unfinished. Best of luck, the difference you are going to experience will be huge. I can't wait to hear how great it is. heres a picture of my car with the side skirts.
View attachment 238631
Two facts why I didn't consider the side skirts. One is I was getting pretty much to the upper limit of what I wanted to spend and secondly clearance and access. Reason I didn't order PASM is it lowers the car, the sideskirts will lower the bodywork vis a vis the ground and just catch more snow and debris. Lastly not sure what it does to get (until my modification) a jack under there. But let me have a look, I appreciate the input!

siberian

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agree with @muhney on the aerokit . I read 40 years but have you driven the recent 911 ? Are you locked on the order ?
Lock is Feb. 22, and no I haven't. Why do you ask?

siberian

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice car, congratulations!
Did you consider PEC delivery in L.A?
Shorter drive for you.
Given Canada border closures it's irrelevant, alas

siberian

·
Registered
810 Posts
Two facts why I didn't consider the side skirts. One is I was getting pretty much to the upper limit of what I wanted to spend and secondly clearance and access. Reason I didn't order PASM is it lowers the car, the sideskirts will lower the bodywork vis a vis the ground and just catch more snow and debris. Lastly not sure what it does to get (until my modification) a jack under there. But let me have a look, I appreciate the input!

siberian
The side skirts are not lower than no side skirts, clearance is the same. But I get the cost thing, lots of Porsche options are expensive and don't serve any real purpose. Enjoy the car, it will be amazing.

Reactions: Macanakey

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're never wrong in admitting you're wrong...so thank you for the comment on the side skirt. Given I cancelled the aerokit which freed up (and I'm pretty sure this was intentional from Porsche) about the same amount of cash I could clearly see the benefit of option VR4. New build code is PMB1BI45.

Thank you kindly for your suggestions! Best from 65 North

siberian

1 - 20 of 66 Posts