Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I mentioned a car at my local dealership close in price proximity to a forum member's GTS build . Out of curiosity a browsed a few dealership inventories . Many of them do have Turbos in stock but something caught my eye . Three of them had an identical car (Champion, Collection , North Houston) . It's a white Turbo with black /beige interior . There are others which looked close enough elsewhere too but the MSRP might have been different due to the state (but I did not look in detail at those).

Years ago Porsche used to build what call called a "launch car" . The worst example of it was in 2009 . At that time every dealership got 4 identical white/beige PDK 911 base cars . They got 4 green PDK beige 991S , 2 Aqua blue PDK Cabs , 2 Macadamai Targas . and 4 Meteor Gray sport bucket seat C4S cars .
Anyone who bought one without knowing took a huge hit in value because the identical car was so plentiful. The worst of it was the green car , No one wanted the color and dealerships were selling then NEW for 75K (MSRP was 99K) in despair ,

The best example was 2004 with the 05 997S . The car was sold out EVERYWHERE fir months. It was jn such demand that Porsche decided to offer one highly spec demo "launch car" for each dealership just so people could drive them . It was priced higher due to some serious options including ceramic brakes , Miami did not get theirs first but Champion did . I begged them to sell me the car and they did !!! Since only one was given rather than abundance the car really held value . I only had the car 1 year . Xenon light theft was so rampant at that time that mine were stolen so many times (even when valet parked at a restaurant) that I sold the car . I still got almost what I paid considering ,

Since I am only seeing one Turbo at several dealerships my guess is that Porsche played this right . My thinking is they priced and optioned it n such a way that it could be either bought or fit in. line with leasing MRM parameters.

First I am not sure its a launch car but I do feel that its a great turbo price target if deciding to build a car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was at Champion Pompano yesterday checking on a refund for an extended warranty I cancelled on my traded in 2019 S. They had a nice 2020 Turbo on the Floor. About the same price as my optioned out 2021 GTS. Even had the 21" Spyders. Several cars on display had the 21" Spyders. They all looked marvelous !!

As an aside for you, yrralis 1, they had that racing Yellow 2019 911 Turbo S on the floor as well. Absolutely gorgeous vehicle. Sticker $210, but I'd bet there is a real deal to be had on this leftover. Too bad I'm too old to get in and out of the 911s.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They still do launch (or party) cars. Porsche sets the specs. My dealer got two for the Macan Turbo. One was volcano grey and one was mamba green. So, it certainly could be the case that you saw launch specs.

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was at Champion Pompano yesterday checking on a refund for an extended warranty I cancelled on my traded in 2019 S. They had a nice 2020 Turbo on the Floor. About the same price as my optioned out 2021 GTS. Even had the 21" Spyders. Several cars on display had the 21" Spyders. They all looked marvelous !!

As an aside for you, yrralis 1, they had that racing Yellow 2019 911 Turbo S on the floor as well. Absolutely gorgeous vehicle. Sticker $210, but I'd bet there is a real deal to be had on this leftover. Too bad I'm too old to get in and out of the 911s.
I saw it on their site but have outgrown the turbo and awd 911s . I love my gts but hope a gt3 normally aspirated car gets one last round . That’s why the spyder almost got me . In fact champion had a silver one . They sold it . The identical mscsn did not have spyder s . It was white with turbo wheels . Two other dealerships had identical spec cars .

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They still do launch (or party) cars. Porsche sets the specs. My dealer got two for the Macan Turbo. One was volcano grey and one was mamba green. So, it certainly could be the case that you saw launch specs.
Usually display cars are at launch parties . Somewhere on the window sticker is a notation on an actual
Launch car . Usually it’s a modest spec but identical cars exist . Not sure if these are or not

·
Registered
9,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If its a launch car, it will be an option, like 762, 70C, or something like that. Run the VIN and look at the codes.
Just looked .. nothing . The interesting thing was that the production date was august 2019 . That car is over a year old , Had to have been built at the launch but no code on the vin analytics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts