Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was there , then gone for awhile and now its back !!!! What's even more of challenge would be trying to decide between a GTS and a Gt4 if I were looking.Usually I look at the 911 but this is the first 718 which gets a real WOW out of me !!! The 4 cylinder turbo car just didn't impress me when I drove it .

Part of the dilemma would be deciding what the car would be.
GTS .. daily driver , weekend toy , even a convertible , and can be spaced modest at a significantly lower cost .
Gt4 - This is a long term keeper , track toy, weekend toy (weather permitting) , would not be a modest spec .. I built one at 125K.

Both of the cars are the last pure mid engine , 6 speed manual , Porsche before the EV route . That GTS is one heck of a bargain .

But then ....... I ponder ... I think of those here who never had a a Porsche sports car and woiold I buy the first as a Cayman or Boxster ... or a 911 .. because they are close.

Conclusion .. By inserting the 718 GTS into Porsche's equation. .. they really upped the ante on what to pick . Hands down if the car had to be a convertible then the GTS is a super bargain . But if choosing a coupe the choice becomes a brain teaser .

If you haven't .. then go to the configurator .. see what happens.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I was playing with the configurator for the last couple of days. I like the color choices a lot. Only mildly interested in the GT4. My dealer has one coming in that's not sold. I'll drive it but doubt that it'll wow me enough to part with my 981 GT4. I can't fathom letting go of it and hand the dealer $40-$50K on top. Especially since I already had a 718 and the interior is unchanged. And I really love my GT4.
Plus I'm anxiously awaiting (since February) a fully loaded M340i, so not really interested in spending even more money right now.

If circumstances were different I'd be all over the 718 GT4.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was playing with the configurator for the last couple of days. I like the color choices a lot. Only mildly interested in the GT4. My dealer has one coming in that's not sold. I'll drive it but doubt that it'll wow me enough to part with my 981 GT4. I can't fathom letting go of it and hand the dealer $40-$50K on top. Especially since I already had a 718 and the interior is unchanged. And I really love my GT4.
Plus I'm anxiously awaiting (since February) a fully loaded M340i, so not really interested in spending even more money right now.

If circumstances were different I'd be all over the 718 GT4.
I thought about this . Notice that the replies are not flying . That's because the 718 never got the love and finally Porsche decided to go out like a champ but its too late . Had they begun the car with only an NA GTS (in 2016 as a 17 model) I likely would have bought a Boxster . I loved my 981 Boxster S for daily use in Florida .

With the Cayman Gt4 it really will be the last of a very special car yet its priced in Carrera S range . I realize they are different types of cars . I even realize that the Gt4 will hold value far better . I see that I just can't get past the idea that back in 2016 I test drove the 718 and at that time was so disheartened that I dug deep and bought my 911 GTS (which I still love with 30K miles on it).

I still do get excited looking at the NA versions .. I just feel like it's 2020 now and by Porsche hitting the nail on the head now it shows how badly they missed it in the past .

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I thought about this . Notice that the replies are not flying . That's because the 718 never got the love and finally Porsche decided to go out like a champ but its too late . Had they begun the car with only an NA GTS (in 2016 as a 17 model) I likely would have bought a Boxster . I loved my 981 Boxster S for daily use in Florida .

With the Cayman Gt4 it really will be the last of a very special car yet its priced in Carrera S range . I realize they are different types of cars . I even realize that the Gt4 will hold value far better . I see that I just can't get past the idea that back in 2016 I test drove the 718 and at that time was so disheartened that I dug deep and bought my 911 GTS (which I still love with 30K miles on it).

I still do get excited looking at the NA versions .. I just feel like it's 2020 now and by Porsche hitting the nail on the head now it shows how badly they missed it in the past .
I agree. Timing is everything. And pricing the GT4 almost into 911 S territory is rich.
Especially when the outgoing one can be currently had used in collector condition for an easy $20-$30K less.
Put those $30K into an engine upgrade and run circles around the new one on the track.
Or enjoy a used 981 GT4 on the back roads where performance matters less.
Gearing too tall for you? Well, that hasn't changed either...
I'm not hating on it. They just showed up to the party with the main course when most already finished the dessert.
It's even worse for the 4.0. The 718 GTS 4.0 has little to no performance increase over the 718 GTS 2.5.
The "prestige" buyer will certainly fork over the measly additional $10K and get a 911.
The ones who already liked the 718 as is? Why would anyone trade "up"?
Then add some pandemic to the mix and I don't see them selling many. As the lack of enthusiasm here indicates.
But I've been proven wrong before many times.

I bet there is somewhat of a waiting list on the GT4 PDK or possible RS version though. But what will they want for that? $150K or more?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts