Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6000kms – An Updated Review, Some Warranty Work and a Tasmanian Road Trip

Hi All,

Thought I would put some updated thoughts down following 4 months and 6,000 kms in my Macan S. My initial review and impressions on a lot of the options I ordered is here: http://www.macanforum.com/forum/porsche-macan-reviews/25154-gobobbies-macan-s-review.html#post410986. Before I do that I just wanted to reiterate what many posters have expressed here – thanks for all the great contributions from posters here – I thought my interest in the forum may wane after a while but I still thoroughly enjoy reading the forum each day thanks to everyone’s helpful and usually friendly posts, and some great mods that step in when needed.

Anyway onto an update on how I’m finding my Macan S. In essence, I’m absolutely loving the car. As others have posted, it’s hard to believe you're driving a mid-size SUV once you’re on the road, the car is so capable and a delight to throw around corners in sport plus PASM setting or switch to comfort mode, set the cruise control on a long drive and relax in hushed comfort.

In terms of what’s changed since I last posted the above review, the PDK definitely appears to have adapted to my driving style – it’s only caught out once in a while when I bury my foot suddenly and it takes a good second or two to decide to shift down with urgency. The PDK is absolutely the heart of why the driving experience is so great in my opinion. The shifts are so deliciously smooth and now the car has been run in, that exhaust note definitely makes itself known with great regularity. Speaking of the exhaust, it’s definitely more noticeable now than in the first 1,000kms, with lovely blips and blaps and a nice howl. Of course the car is insulated better than most so it’s still a very refined affair. I’ve discovered that I actually enjoy the exhaust best when the car is not in sport mode – reason being is it’s more noticeable when you put your foot down and the car turns from luxury SUV to a sports car and then once you’ve completed your driving move it fades away until the next time you need to call upon it.

That’s the great strength of this car, it truly transforms from easily one of the best riding, comfortable SUVs to what I can truly only imagine is the best driving SUV in the true sports sense. As you’ll see below I took the car on 1,000km+ road trip over the holidays and had plenty of time to really put the car through its paces in some of the most challenging and exhilarating drives you can do legally in Australia.

Of course it doesn’t hurt the car looks **** fine from pretty much any angle. The rear ¾ is my favourite as you’ll see from the many pics to follow, but I’m still really enamoured with the whole design of the car. I’ve had the opportunity to make some modifications to the car which I’ll also post about below. This is my fourth black car in a row and this is definitely the most challenging to keep clean. That massive hood and the sloping rear tailgate are dust magnets and cleaning around the Porsche badging at the rear is a task in itself. I’m contemplating getting the Modesta coating on the car after reading a fellow Aussie poster’s review (cost is around the AUD $1,000 mark).

In terms of the interior, well what else is there to say that hasn’t already been said – it’s a great place to be and I look forward to any opportunity to drive the car. Those 18 way seats are just fantastic. I drove for up to 5 hours in a row on the latest road trip, and each time got out of the car feeling completely rested despite having driven through masses of switchbacks and hairpin bends. There is some wear on the lower bolster as expected. I do try and make some effort when getting in and out but I’m over trying to completely hop over the bolster so I’ve made my peace with the bolster continuing to wear over time. The rest of the seats are in great condition.

Whilst the car was getting some warranty work done, I had a real opportunity to see the difference between my specced car and another Macan which had a lot less options. I was very pleasantly surprised to find I really did miss most all of the options so it was a relief to know that they were money well spent (for me). These included the 18 ways (the loan car had 14 ways – they were comfortable but I felt like I was sitting ‘on’ them rather than ‘in’ them like I do with the 18 ways). I also missed the DAB radio (an expensive option here) and the car did not have the BOSE and I really missed it too. As others have posted if you’ve got the BOSE, I’d recommend checking the linear box in the settings – I like surround too but that’s personal preference (my previous BMW had the h/k Logic7 surround so I’m used to this type of audio). Apple Lossless or FLAC files are a must to really make the most of the sound also. I have an iPod with 64GB of apple lossless audio which works like a treat via the PCM. For purely aesthetic reasons, I also really missed the full leather interior on my car (this one had the mid-tier leather option on the dash). I also posted elsewhere that the loan car had Power Steering Plus (an option here on the S) and I really, really prefer my car that does not have this option.

So all in all, I’m still extremely delighted with the car. It’s just such a great combination of form, function and passion. That’s despite some issues which I’ve posted about below.

Warranty Work

I’ve had a number of issues with my car which have all been rectified satisfactorily. I do have to question Porsche’s quality control following these issues however, despite the local dealership doing a great job rectifying them. The issues I’ve had with the car are:
- Fender/Bonnet/Door issue – this is obviously the biggest concern as my passenger door needed to be repainted and the hood adjusted (more on that below)
- 18 way adjustable seat bolsters on the passenger seat were not working – these had to be repaired/replaced
- PDK jerk on downshifts when in sport mode. This was pretty noticeable and was fiexed with a DME software update. Has been perfect since and makes sport much more enjoyable to drive in even in the city.
- Auto Start/Stop – I had a real issue with how this functioned on my car. The car would roll to a stop suddenly with a jerk either forward or back and it was really uncomfortable and made the feature a real pain in terms of start-stop driving enjoyment. Thankfully I raised this when the other warranty work was done and as part of the software update for the PDK jerk, this has also fixed the Auto Start/Stop so it functions much more smoothly and can be used day to day without issue. I’m thrilled with the results of this update as it’s made the car much more enjoyable to drive day-to-day.
- Intermittent issue with the thermostat not showing the correct outside temperature. I forgot to mention this when the car was in so this has not yet been rectified.
- Misaligned rear window trim. I posted about this in my initial review. When I took the car back in, I noticed the new cars ready for delivery had much better alignment and I raised this with the SA at the dealership. When the hood/fender issue was fixed, they also did some adjustment which has made an improvement.

Here’s a before picture

Here’s a picture after it was rectified. I don’t know what they did but it’s definitely better aligned.

Regarding the hood/fender issue, my experience occurred on a reasonably hot day when the car had done some decent time on the road in full sun. I parked the car and decided to check to see if there would be any issue (was hoping this was only affecting earlier cars) and although the driver’s door seemed fine, I was aghast when I tested the passenger door and watched as a ribbon of paint came off my door.

See below.

The dealer booked the car in to be repaired by Melbourne’s Porsche Approved body shop with the fix taking a week. The door was resprayed and it appears they have ‘shaved’ off the inside edge of the hood so they don’t contact each other. There are no noticeable changes to the panel gaps which I’m really thrilled by as I was not going to be impressed if the panel gaps were altered (at least to my eye). I have noticed some adjustments to some screws on the inside top of the fender next to the engine bay which you can see below, but have not noticed anymore visible adjustments to any other bolts on the body. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has these adjustments in their car.

So far I’m satisfied with the fix. The panel shop did an excellent job (they have an excellent reputation) and while they were there I took the opportunity to have some more painting done on the car.

Cosmetic Modifications

I had been keen to get the rear fascia painted since day one, especially with the stainless steel skid plates adding a third ‘element’ to the rear of the car, and organized this to be done before I had the issue with the fender/door.

Here’s a pic of the car before I had the rear fascia painted:

And here’s a pic of the car with the fascia painted. Note I decided I didn’t need to paint the side skirts although it was something I was considering doing in the future.

When I had the car taken into the panel shop for the warranty work, I decided to ask to get the side skirts painted (rather than replaced with the sports side skirts). I’m really thrilled with the results. Essentially they sand down the side skirts and then paint them twice. Here are some pics of the final results:

Side skirt before painting:

After painting:

And the finished product:

You can see here the small amount of unpainted black plastic at the front of the car (lower bumper). You have to be really low to the ground to notice it and I’ve got no plans to paint that as well (especially with a black car).

· Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tasmanian Road Trip

Over the Christmas / New Year break we decided to take the car on the Spirit of Tasmania (a roll on / roll off ship) so we could visit the inlaws at a family beach house on the East Coast of Tasmania. The area is just spectacular and is an ideal opportunity to really put the Macan through it’s paces.

Here’s a map of where we visited and stayed.

Of course it was also the first opportunity to test out the amount of cargo we could fit in the car, and with it being Christmas, that included way too many presents as you can imagine.

Here’s what we had to fit in the car (note the two large suitcases already in the car):

And following a real life game of cargo tetris, here’s the end result:

And with that we were off to the ship. The next struggle is the loading and unloading of the vehicles on the ship. I was dreading how closely parked you are as hundreds of cars self drive onto tiny parking lanes and then the passengers exit their cars to find their cabins on board. All I could think of was car doors opening (the car ding thread was particularly timely) and people dragging their overnight bags, keys and anything else sharp across the side of the car. You have to love the inlaws and really want to drive this car in Tasmania before you want to take that risk.

Here’s some pics of the onboarding process:

And the moment where you just have to close your eyes and let go of your fears of the car being damaged….

With that we set sail over night and arrived Christmas morning with a 3.5 hour drive to the east coast ahead of us. The drive gave me a great opportunity to stretch the Macan’s legs with some of the highest legal speeds in Australia (110km/hr or 68m/h) on a lot of country roads with sharp turns and banks. The car handled these roads masterfully despite being loaded with luggage. At one point I overtook 4 cars on a long stretch of road and not only did the car handle the move with no trouble, I was shocked to look down at the digital speed read out which I won’t post here I tell you…

Once I arrived on the east coast there was an opportunity to take the car off roading to some extent. There is a dirt road which sits atop a range of mountains overlooking the sea which also includes sharp drop offs at every turn. Here are some pics of the Macan tackling Skyline Road in Eastern Tasmania (one of my favourite drives):

And here is a pic with some of the dirt track in the background after traversing it earlier.

And in this pic in the distance you can see the track at the top of the mountain:

· Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After taking the car through the zig-zag hairpins of the St Mary’s Pass, I took the car though the backroad known as Elephant Pass. It features heaps of sharp turns, steep embankments and more hairpin turns…oh and the speed limit is 100km/h. Suffice it to say aside from the odd stretch that is very optimistic but by god the Macan became a sport car as it put the biggest grin on my face turn after turn.

Next up we drove to The Bay of Fires which is a unique coast which features stunning blue bays surrounded by rust coloured rocks. It’s truly spectacular. Of course I took that opportunity to take yet some more snaps of the car whilst enjoying the scenery :D

Next up was nearby Binalong Bay, one of the most beautiful beaches in Tasmania.

After a day trip to Wine Glass Bay (one of the world’s top 10 beaches) we headed off to Cradle Mountain National park on the other side of the island. The weather took a turn for the worse but it meant some great shots when it wasn’t pelting with rain.

And with that we made it back to the boat to sail home to sunny Melbourne. Thanks for reading this far, I hadn’t intended this to be such a long post!

My final words – Man, I really love my Macan.

· Registered
7,566 Posts
That was a very informative and very much appreciated update and review of your Macan. It looks great and I am very glad to read it performs accordingly, especially after a the long and test trek.

Thank you gobobbie

Go Bobbie , Go !

Reactions: gobobbie

· Registered
4,476 Posts
Amazing report!!!! Glad you are having so much fun with your car.

· Registered
754 Posts
Great write-up @gobobbie!! I really enjoyed reading and checking out the pics!!

I found it funny to read this as I just got done posting the exact same sentiment in my initial impressions thread. Couldn't agree with this more!!

As others have posted, it’s hard to believe you're driving a mid-size SUV once you’re on the road, the car is so capable and a delight to throw around corners in sport plus PASM setting or switch to comfort mode, set the cruise control on a long drive and relax in hushed comfort.

· Registered
488 Posts
Incredible - thank you for the rain depth update. Can't wait to get my turbo in the next few weeks

· Registered
1,821 Posts
Stunning photos! Thoroughly enjoyable read. One of the best posts on MacanForum...

· Registered
665 Posts
Two thumbs up to your review~

@gobobbie :) Wow. Wow. Wow. You certainly have a way with words (and your photos are pretty good too) - I felt as if I was reading a professional review article (what do you do for a living BTW?).

Thanks for taking the time to post such detail about your road trip and ownership experience thus far. I did think to myself it was odd that you weren't posting here much, but now I realise you were traversing Tassie.

Firstly, those photos of your Macan on the Skyline Road - is that near Scamander? The location looks vaguely familiar...

Secondly, can I ask how much you paid for your side skirts to get sprayed?

Thirdly, are you planning on tinting your front windows to match the privacy glass? I will do so on my Macan when it arrives, as I can't stand the two-tone look.

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Wonderful right up @gobobbie ... You transported us to Summer time in Australia with the write up and pictures...

I’ve discovered that I actually enjoy the exhaust best when the car is not in sport mode – reason being is it’s more noticeable when you put your foot down and the car turns from luxury SUV to a sports car and then once you’ve completed your driving move it fades away until the next time you need to call upon it.
I thought I was the only person who liked the exhaust more in non-sport mode. I never could figure out why. But it could be like what you wrote, where the delta in sound when you plant your foot or shift manually at high RPMs is more in non-sport mode. As you said the transformation from an S Class like refinement to the rawness of a sports car in Macan is just phenomenal...

· Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Great writeup @gobobbie The 6K review and especially your epic Road Trip were such a joy to read. Thanks again for sharing. Oh and please make no mistake that MF is a better place to hang out because of members like you. :cool:

BTW nice touch on your first picture, looks like a magazine cover which is so appropriate for you. :)

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Wonderful write up @gobobbie. And great photos. Reminds me of some of the old Road & Track trip reviews in the early eighties.

I have to tease you though. Trips of 5.5 hours ? Only ? In Australia ? We have routinely done a 13 hour trip (each way) to the inlaws in Minnesota once or twice a year for the past 21 years. In Saabs, an Audi A4 wagon and a RS4, a TT, a Q5 and my Cayman S. I have to say I am genuinely looking forward to the trip this March in the 18 ways in the Macan S. With our 85 lb German Shedder. And how often can you say you genuinely look forward to a trip to the in-laws ?>:D

· Registered
170 Posts
Appreciate the time it took for this great piece of work! Job well done.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.