191 Posts
PDK holding up fine?

·
Registered
Macan 2.0 T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What IC are you running?

Also, did you explore running a TTE480L?

Did you have to clock the LM430 or was it a bolt on fit?
LM430 is a bolt on fit and elite turbo playing in the superior league that is why it cannot be compared to any TTxxxx.
Or can we compare Porsche to Opel.
The LM430 plays well with the ARTEK Intercooler (499 Dollars) and other tuning ic and with PDK.
More technical information:

·
Registered
5 Posts
LM430 is a bolt on fit and elite turbo playing in the superior league that is why it cannot be compared to any TTxxxx.
Or can we compare Porsche to Opel.
The LM430 plays well with the ARTEK Intercooler (499 Dollars) and other tuning ic and with PDK.
More technical information:
Do you have a link for the intercooler?

·
Super Moderator
3,426 Posts
I'm wondering how long the engine & drivetrain components are going to last in a system boosted to such levels.

The PDK clutch pack is a limiting factor for performance modifications made to the Turbo model(s).

Could the Base engine & drivetrain setup have been designed and built to withstand these kinds of upgrades?

Even the factory-provided MB CLA45 models raise longevity/reliability concerns with their high output levels from a 2.0L power source.
...and that engine is rated at less HP than is cited above...

:oops: :unsure:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm wondering how long the engine & drivetrain components are going to last in a system boosted to such levels.

The PDK clutch pack is a limiting factor for performance modifications made to the Turbo model(s).

Could the Base engine & drivetrain setup have been designed and built to withstand these kinds of upgrades?

Even the factory-provided MB CLA45 models raise longevity/reliability concerns with their high output levels from a 20.L power source.
...and that engine is rated at less HP than is cited above...

:oops: :unsure:
This is the same EA888 Gen3 engine found on the VW Golf GTI, Golf R, Seat Leon Cupra and Skoda Octavia and Superb.

These engines can easily hold 450-500WHP on stock block as long as the torque is capped at 600Nm.

The gearbox on the Base Macan is not a PDK. It's an Audi derivative DL501 Gen 2.

The biggest weakness on these engines is that ever failing turbos made by IHI.

·
Registered
Macan 2.0 T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
This is the same EA888 Gen3 engine found on the VW Golf GTI, Golf R, Seat Leon Cupra and Skoda Octavia and Superb.

These engines can easily hold 450-500WHP on stock block as long as the torque is capped at 600Nm.

The gearbox on the Base Macan is not a PDK. It's an Audi derivative DL501 Gen 2.

The biggest weakness on these engines is that ever failing turbos made by IHI.
Because of lots of failing IS20 IHI Turbos in Macan & Audi A5 / A4 LM developed the LM430:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Because of lots of failing IS20 IHI Turbos in Macan & Audi A5 / A4 LM developed the LM430:

I've tuned over 100 EA888 Gen3 engines in a Skoda Octavia (same as Golf GTI). Not one turbo has blown in 3yrs.

Amazed at how these seem to break on the Macan and A4/A5.

In fact yours is the only instance I've seen on the Internet with a blown Macan turbo. Not sure why no one else is coming forward and posting about their experiences?

I spoke to a few hybrid turbo manufacturers and they all seem to be aware of this issue. Looks like a majority of the issues are due to a weak thrust bearing that fails and the shaft snapping at both the Turbine and Compressor.

I ordered a LM430 few days ago. Let's see how it comes out. Hopefully not too much lag compared to an OEM IS38.

PS: Do you represent LM in Canada?

·
Registered
2019 Macan Base, Premium Plus, 19" Turbo wheels
311 Posts
I appreciate the info in this thread. Please keep sharing! (y)

·
Registered
Macan 2.0 T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes, all original revisions of IS38 and IS20 can blow fast when tuning them:

Here the new Revision: 06K 145 874P from 2019/2020 (soft tune with 1.5 bar after 3 weeks):

·
Registered
Macan 2.0 T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Something Premium...
Stable, fast and reliable.
Generating up to 450 HP in Macan 2.0 T with 180 KW / 245 HP with sports catalyst and tuning intercooler.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello guys,

After a catastrophic engine failure due to some unknown factors, I have decided to invest into a performance build and here's what I've done so far.

-Got the Mahle forged pistons & steel conrods kit from here (2.0L TSI EA888 Forged Piston & Steel Con-Rod Set by MAHLE & BAR-TEK®)
-Got the big intercooler for golf mk7 from the above website and modified the inlets to fitment
-Got performance coils and plugs
-AEM Methanol injection kit
-IS38 turbo (direct fitment)

Engine factory output is 252HP. Now it is somewhere around 420HP, dyno will be done after a couple of weeks. I'll share more details once I have the time.

·
Registered
Macan 2.0 T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
LM430 - Since 2017 obviously the most STABLE, fastest SPOOL-starting and longest TORQUE holding IS20 hybrid worldwide so far on the market.
It makes 460 HP (strong map) and can be tuned for 360 HP with soft map
Premium Quality has got its price ... like Porsche
- Porsche IS20 LM430 Upgrade Turbocharger -

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey!

I really like this, If possible can you list all the mods required for this? I wanted to get something like this done, and keep a more modest tune of (380 hp). My worry is the PDK, and if something happens to it, it is going to be a big ass pain to swap out.

From what I saw, I will need, turbo, exhaust, intercooler, tune, and a few other things here and there right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Macan 2.0 T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes, you are right:
  • Turbo (LM430: The only stable hybrid so far | Maybe other manufactureres will manage get their hybrids stable in the future)
  • intercooler (see brands above)
  • exhaust pipe
  • Software optimization (tune)

·
Registered
2015 Porsche Macan S
100 Posts
I think it’s awesome your making this power; however, I’m kinda bummed the 3.0 doesn’t with all the bolt ones ive thrown at it. I could probably hit 450hp with the pure turbo upgrade, but still that’s just weak sauce compared to this beauty.

Not sure if you guys remember the old b5 s4 guys doing the single turbo setups using 2.8 NA headers with a y pipe. Man those builds put out some power.

Us Macan S guys need to step our game up!!

Sorry for the thread jack... I’m done ranting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 45 Posts