Porsche Macan Forum banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
wspollack, would very much appreciate your following up with the SA about deferring the PDK fluid change at 40k miles and posting his response. It's refreshing to hear "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" from a SA.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
wspollack, would very much appreciate your following up with the SA about deferring the PDK fluid change at 40k miles and posting his response. It's refreshing to hear "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" from a SA.
Okay, I'll send him email* today, with the Maintenance booklet pages, and report back here when he gets back to me.

* (When I got there at 8am yesterday, the service desks were near empty, but when I went back in the afternoon he told me that he had been very busy, didn't have a lot of time to chat, etc.)

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
PDK is the dual clutch. Transmission is different, more like a traditional unit on most automatic cars (non dual clutch).

·
Registered
44 Posts
PDK is the dual clutch. Transmission is different, more like a traditional unit on most automatic cars (non dual clutch).
All Macans use the PDK transmission, which is a dual clutch gearbox. PDK is the clutch and the transmission- it's an integrated design.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
All Macans use the PDK transmission, which is a dual clutch gearbox. PDK is the clutch and the transmission- it's an integrated design.
Let me respond to this by saying:

1) I don't know jack about any of the details of all this, except what I've read here on the forum.

2) What I've read includes these two threads:

3) In both of those threads, the sort of confusion is raised, regarding what are the proper naming conventions, what fluid goes where, and so forth.

In that latter thread, post 18, @drawz states this:

The front diff fluid is shared with the actual gears in the PDK (this is separate from the clutch fluid in the PDK, which is the transmission fluid that is normally changed at 40k miles).

As I indicated, I'm not in a position to verify the accuracy of that statement, but @ttmacan, who started that thread, says this in the next post:

Yeah front diff fluid (mtf) would make it drive smoother. Rear diff would not affect shifting.

So, perhaps the information contained in those threads will help clarify the situation here, i.e., in this thread, for those who understand the components of a Macan.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello All:

So happy there is a group like this!!

I was just charged $3,007 for my 40,000 mile service. Does that seem high?

I have a 2015 Macan S.

The labor was $1,637.50 (hourly rate of $163.75) and the parts were the balance of $1,202.

Thanks for your help.

Susan
My dealer quoted the cost of the 40K service (in writing before I bought the car) to be $1550. Maybe you should have bought the 4 cylinder model?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just went back and re-read the invoice the op posted. Even after almost a year, still cant believe the prices charged for parts. 2X MSRP = greed.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
As I posted (post 142, yikes, almost a month ago!), I got back to my SA, regarding this service.

First, I sent an email to him, asking more specifically what was done. I included a scan of the Maintenance booklet that came with the car, which included this:

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 9.03.57 AM.png

That was a few days after my post, and then I waited another couple of weeks ... and no response.

So, a couple of days ago, I phoned him, and tried to discuss this again (as opposed to our chat, when I arrived in the morning for my appointment). He claimed that he had not received my email. Sigh, whatever.

I pointed out what the Maintenance booklet said, and he told me, "Sure, we changed the PDK fluid," or words to that effect. I'm getting the feeling that, as one of the two Service Advisors there, he either doesn't really understand what the techs actually do during a 40K service for a Macan, or just tells the customer what he, the SA, thinks the customer wants to hear at any given moment.

So I don't have a good answer for you, regarding what was really done.

Here's the three-page invoice again (which I had posted some pages back). Note that there were 7 liters of "G-052-529-A2 TRANSMISSION OIL" used, if that's any clue. I'm talking about the 7 liters, more than the "transmission" part, because we all know about the rampart confusion that exists regarding what to call things around here; i.e., it's my understanding that the PDK is not to be called a transmission, and so forth.

Sorry I have (so far) failed your request for a meaningful followup on this.

BTW, I received one of those PCNA how-was-your-visit surveys yesterday. I complained that I would prefer a much more "granular" breakdown of the 40K service on the invoice, instead of its just saying "40K MAJOR MAINT." That is, it would've been nice if the invoice broke it down into, say, "PDK SERVICE" and so forth.

New Country Porsche receipt 40000 service 2020-04-02 expurgated (1 of 3).jpg New Country Porsche receipt 40000 service 2020-04-02 expurgated (2 of 3).jpg New Country Porsche receipt 40000 service 2020-04-02 expurgated (3 of 3).jpg

·
Registered
561 Posts
I just did mine myself last week. No lift, on front jack stands only. Parts/ fluids were about $300 and it took me about 8 hours, including cleaning the old glue from inside of the wheels from my last tire change/ re-balance.

·
Registered
561 Posts
After 16 months my dealer called me for the very first time to tell me that my car was overdue for service. Didn't I want the first service done for free? Sweet sounding babe on the phone.

I thanked her for the call, and let her know that I prefer to do my own service. Yup, even if theirs is free.

"She's my baby" I told her. "I understand completely" was her response. :coffee:

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Huhh which babe is which? ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was quoted over $4k for a 40k/4 year service at my local dealership. That included an alignment which I didn't need and is also not listed by Porsche as part of the required service.

I instead had it done at a local indy shop for less than $1,200.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello All:

So happy there is a group like this!!

I was just charged $3,007 for my 40,000 mile service. Does that seem high?

I have a 2015 Macan S.

The labor was $1,637.50 (hourly rate of $163.75) and the parts were the balance of $1,202.

Thanks for your help.

Susan
Hi,
Yes, that's about right for this service.
I did mine a couple of months ago, I added new tires so it was around 5k, stung a bit, but was expecting it.
Wait till you need to get your brakes done... Ooooh and yes, you will think they're (or feel they should be) gold plated.
😂

·
Registered
286 Posts
As I posted (post 142, yikes, almost a month ago!), I got back to my SA, regarding this service.

First, I sent an email to him, asking more specifically what was done. I included a scan of the Maintenance booklet that came with the car, which included this:

View attachment 230902
That was a few days after my post, and then I waited another couple of weeks ... and no response.

So, a couple of days ago, I phoned him, and tried to discuss this again (as opposed to our chat, when I arrived in the morning for my appointment). He claimed that he had not received my email. Sigh, whatever.

I pointed out what the Maintenance booklet said, and he told me, "Sure, we changed the PDK fluid," or words to that effect. I'm getting the feeling that, as one of the two Service Advisors there, he either doesn't really understand what the techs actually do during a 40K service for a Macan, or just tells the customer what he, the SA, thinks the customer wants to hear at any given moment.

So I don't have a good answer for you, regarding what was really done.

Here's the three-page invoice again (which I had posted some pages back). Note that there were 7 liters of "G-052-529-A2 TRANSMISSION OIL" used, if that's any clue. I'm talking about the 7 liters, more than the "transmission" part, because we all know about the rampart confusion that exists regarding what to call things around here; i.e., it's my understanding that the PDK is not to be called a transmission, and so forth.

Sorry I have (so far) failed your request for a meaningful followup on this.

BTW, I received one of those PCNA how-was-your-visit surveys yesterday. I complained that I would prefer a much more "granular" breakdown of the 40K service on the invoice, instead of its just saying "40K MAJOR MAINT." That is, it would've been nice if the invoice broke it down into, say, "PDK SERVICE" and so forth.

View attachment 230903 View attachment 230904 View attachment 230905
Not surprised at the SA's response. Very much appreciate copies of the service performed. Really sad to see how they mark up parts and fluids, not to mention adding more than the required capacity. Don't know how they stuffed 7 qts. in the "PDK" when only 5 are required. $100 for a cabin air filter is beyond my comprehension. :(

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Not surprised at the SA's response. Very much appreciate copies of the service performed. Really sad to see how they mark up parts and fluids, not to mention adding more than the required capacity. Don't know how they stuffed 7 qts. in the "PDK" when only 5 are required.
Since the invoice never actually mentions "PDK" (unless I missed it), is there something that requires 7 liters of "transmission oil" (e.g., an actual transmission flush)? If so, that would indicate to me that the SA is talking out of his butt, and so maybe I need to pay them a visit.

I mean, the official Maintenance booklet that came with the car says to service the PDK at 40K, and it would be nice to see if that was actually done ... or to get it done, if it was not.

Thanks for your comments and your help. Sorry I'm so ignorant about car-fluid and terminology matters.

·
Registered
286 Posts
G-052-529-A2 is the prescribed fluid for the "PDK". A quick search on eBay will give you a range of costs per liter. Charging each customer a liter or two over the required quantity is a great way to boost profits, especially when they mark it up astronomically.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts