Porsche Macan Forum banner

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
For your information, I am retired from accounting, and work at the dealerships part time as a valet/shuttle driver. I don't care about "my paycheck", as the main reason I work is to get out of the house. Do I give a "crap about my work"?? You bet I do. I was brought up in an environment that taught people no matter what job you do, you do the very best you can.
Good to hear. We can only wish there were more people working at dealerships with your work ethic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For your information, I am retired from accounting, and work at the dealerships part time as a valet/shuttle driver. I don't care about "my paycheck", as the main reason I work is to get out of the house.
Love this idea!

Them: "What are you going to do when you retire?"
Me: "Get paid to drive Porsche."

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just got a $1,656 (with tax) quote for my 40,000 mile service from Bethesda Porsche for my 2015 Macan Turbo. Does not include spark plugs as that was done at my 30,000 mile service. Also found a 30% off coupon good through 5/31 https://www.porschebethesda.com/specials/service.htm. In all total hoping to get out of there for less than $1,200. Actually looking to see of Porsche of Tysons will match as they are about a mile away from me.

EDIT: reviewed this thread and then asked for clarity of the service they quoted included the PDK service. Nope. That's another $800-900 on top of the $1,656. That 30% off is even more necessary now as I'm looking at $2,500 or so or $1,750 with the 30% off. And all of this is still without the spark plugs. My list number at this dealer is getting close to the OP and we live in the same area.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man if anyone is near the Western NY area let me know and I'll do this service 1/2 price for you... I'll even order the parts. Just got done doing my pdk service, oil change, and spark plugs just showed up today, I'll be throwing those in shortly. Just wrong the amount their trying to charge

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Too bad! I am on the wrong side of the continent from @Jroyalty7.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Just got a $1,656 (with tax) quote for my 40,000 mile service from Bethesda Porsche for my 2015 Macan Turbo. Does not include spark plugs as that was done at my 30,000 mile service. Also found a 30% off coupon good through 5/31 https://www.porschebethesda.com/specials/service.htm. In all total hoping to get out of there for less than $1,200. Actually looking to see of Porsche of Tysons will match as they are about a mile away from me.

EDIT: reviewed this thread and then asked for clarity of the service they quoted included the PDK service. Nope. That's another $800-900 on top of the $1,656. That 30% off is even more necessary now as I'm looking at $2,500 or so or $1,750 with the 30% off. And all of this is still without the spark plugs. My list number at this dealer is getting close to the OP and we live in the same area.
So what do you get for $1750 in the end? I hate mileage based services. Just show exactly what's done.

Also, spark plug change is not needed for the 40k miles service.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Saw this on RL. Video shows what all that money is going for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQxK5U6gjK8
Wow, what an excellent video!

I have about 10,000 questions. Here are a few:

Did he miss a leaking CV joint boot at 0:37?

What kind of spray was he using to clean the painted surfaces under the hood? Same question with the plastic pieces under the hood and inside the fuel filler door.

What was he using to lubricate the door and the hood latches? White spray lithium grease? And he used some kind of lubricant on the doorstops. What was it?

What did he use the decontaminate the front and rear glass? Was that some kind of rain X product in the yellow bottle?

Terrific point about lubricating the sunroof and cleaning the drains.

Wow, there is so much in the video I’m sure I will go back and watch it several times when I have more time.

What a great find. Looks like the same YouTuber has some other interesting videos.

Reactions: PeterVV

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
A question for those who have paid a dealer for a 40 K service. Was there evidence that they did everything shown in the video?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Living in the NoVA area I was thinking about taking my Macan to Porsche of Arlington, definitely will not be doing that now. It's really unfortunate there isn't a good dealership in the northern VA area considering how many Porsches I see in the area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to confirm, it seems the 40k is essentially PDK service, oil change, cabin filter, and spark plugs?

I had the spark plugs done at 30K and an oil change a few hundred miles ago. Seems I can do the cabin filter myself.

Can I just have the dealer do the PDK service and move on with life? Or are they going to give me a hard time if I don't do all the useless inspections and have a problem on my CPO down the line?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Report: 40,000 Service Done Today (April 2, 2020)

I had the service done today, at my local dealer, the same place I've used for the 10K, 20K, and 30K services.

The service seems to have consisted of the same work as a 10K service, plus changing the transmission fluid.

(I had my brake fluid change back in Sept. 2019, during my 30K service, as it was also about two years since delivery.)

I discussed the possibility of a preemptive change of the PDK fluid with the service manager this morning. His opinion was that if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. In the absence of indications that there's a problem -- which I asked them to check themselves -- he suggested that I wait until the appointed mileage (80K, is it?) to change that fluid.

Subtracting for a PCA discount, and not including tax, the bill came to $1,181 (which was less than I expected).

Here's the paperwork, if anyone is interested in the details (click on the three pages to enlarge):

New Country Porsche receipt 40000 service 2020-04-02 expurgated (1 of 3).jpg New Country Porsche receipt 40000 service 2020-04-02 expurgated (2 of 3).jpg New Country Porsche receipt 40000 service 2020-04-02 expurgated (3 of 3).jpg

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Hmmmm, my understanding is the 40k miles service includes PDK fluid change, but not the transmission fluid change.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
So please understand, I in no way am intending to make anyone feel badly. But why, oh why, if there are indy shops around, would you go to the dealer and pay over a thousand dollars for an oil change and one other fluid? At the local highly regarded and reliable indy shop by me, which happens to be less than a mile from the dealer, that would have cost about $400.

Now, no, they don't provide a loaner, but they do provide a very nice waiting room and to wait an hour and save 50 percent or more seems like a no brainer to me.

Other than warranty work, the only thing I ever step foot back into the stealership for is a new car.

All dealers by me charge $450 for an oil change. I had it done at the indy shop when I went in for the pretrack tech inspection and it was $225. Brake fluid change was $150. It's not rocket science. And the dealer puts their least experienced techs on fluid changes. So it's not exactly peace of mind, especially when you consider how much they are ripping you off.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox. As I said, no offense intended whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Hmmmm, my understanding is the 40k miles service includes PDK fluid change, but not the transmission fluid change.
You know, now that you've forced me to get out the slim "Maintenance" booklet that came with the car, it appears that you're correct.

Here are the pages:

Macan Maintenance (page 7).jpg Macan Maintenance (page 8).jpg Macan Maintenance (page 9).jpg

It appears that, as you say, the PDK fluid is a 40K service. And the transmission fluid does not appear to mentioned at all.

As I noted (post 134, above), I discussed the possibility of the PDK fluid change with the service advisor this morning. He's not a rookie, been at the dealership a long time, a "Certified Porsche Brand Ambassador Service Advisor," and "went through the full Porsche certification program to be a technician ... then decided that I wanted to work more closely with our customers and received the opportunity to be a service advisor."

I wonder why he didn't want to make some more money. And it's weird, don't you think, that the Maintenance booklet doesn't mention the transmission? I wonder if the mothership has changed its maintenance recommendations, and only the dealers know the real answer (kind of like TSBs, for instance). I will touch base with him in the next few days, and see what he has to say about this.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wow! I guess I should not be shocked given that I have owned about a dozen P-cars in my lifetime. But, really, that dealership ripped our OP off. I have done all of my own regular maintenance forever. The only time my cars go to the dealership is for warranty work or stuff complicated enough that I do not feel comfortable tackling it. I will remember if my GTS needs to go in for anything to definitely ask for a written estimate up front for parts and labor. But really, I have a good Indy shop close to me that has worked on my cars and that saves me about 40% on average over the dealership. The dealerships ruin everything for themselves by being unscrupulous in their business dealings.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
So please understand, I in no way am intending to make anyone feel badly. But why, oh why, if there are indy shops around, would you go to the dealer and pay over a thousand dollars for an oil change and one other fluid? At the local highly regarded and reliable indy shop by me, which happens to be less than a mile from the dealer, that would have cost about $400.

Now, no, they don't provide a loaner, but they do provide a very nice waiting room and to wait an hour and save 50 percent or more seems like a no brainer to me.

Other than warranty work, the only thing I ever step foot back into the stealership for is a new car.

All dealers by me charge $450 for an oil change. I had it done at the indy shop when I went in for the pretrack tech inspection and it was $225. Brake fluid change was $150. It's not rocket science. And the dealer puts their least experienced techs on fluid changes. So it's not exactly peace of mind, especially when you consider how much they are ripping you off.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox. As I said, no offense intended whatsoever.
I've posted this sort of info before, and have also been mocked before on some of these points for possible naivete, but, for me (and perhaps only for me), these are my reasons:

1) I don't know of any independent shops in the area.

I suppose I could find out, the next time I go on a PCA-sponsored outing, if there are any around, and if any such shops are recommended.

2) I hope to develop a relationship with the dealership.

Right, I may be naive about this. Fine, I'll admit that. I also assert that no one outside of this particular dealership's GM actually knows if this is or is not the case, i.e., that being a regular customer can help if and when I have a post-warranty issue.

3) I don't think I'm wasting all that much money.

I'm not into wasting money; after all, I did buy the car elsewhere, two and a half years ago, based mostly on pricing (but also a little bit because the SA we dealt with was a little bit of a jerk, whom we tried to set straight later on).

But note that I got PCA and VIP discounts today. I don't really know what the latter is, and would I have gotten it if, for instance, I changed the cabin filters myself?

And I probably would pull a muscle or strain something if I did get down on the ground to do that. I can hurt myself just yawning the wrong way.

4) I find the dealership convenient, and the service dept. folks are friendly.

The place is about 15 - 20 minutes away, and that's handy.

I bought winter tires and wheels from them, too, about a month after getting the car. I got a whopping 10% discount on that package, but I also get free storage for the not-in-use wheels/tires. That's very handy for me, as I've run out of room in my garage.

And, at 72, and having had an operation for cancer, and with a wife who has had several cancer operations, I pretty much don't sweat the small stuff, which includes, in this case, getting excited over a few hundred dollars every year or so. We're not what I'd call wealthy, but we are well-enough off to own a Macan. So the convenience is pretty important to me.

That's my story. And absolutely, positively: no offense taken.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Engine oil/transmission fluid/cabin air filter change, plus reprogramming and full inspection for $1200 is not bad at all.

Reactions: wspollack
121 - 140 of 159 Posts