Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Wow once again I pat myself on the back for getting the 5/50 Porsche pre paid Maintenance Plan for under 3 thou. I am saving lots of $$ and getting excellent service at my Porsche dealer and a loaner.

·
Registered
237 Posts
As @grim has pointed out on more than one occasion, there is no free lunch. BMW so called free service is not free. It’s figured in the MSRP of the vehicle.

No one gives nuttin’ away for free.
Of course. But Lucho831's question was regarding the cost of ownership. BMWs free maintenance program, even though it has been reduced, is still beneficial, and should be considered in the overall cost of ownership question.

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
@shorton335. By your post, you are obviously handy which is great. If you can do brakes and all the other things you say, and I have no reason to doubt you, just curious why you don’t/can’t do PDK fluid change.

I’m not very handy but getting better and trying more things. So I don’t know how it’s done or what is involved, but would think it’s a matter of draining it and refilling it, no?
For PDK fluid DIY you need 2 people and best with a lift. I have done a similar tranny fluid change on my BMW with a friend on a lift in his garage.

It’s not difficult, just a bit more involved/complicated. There is a DIY thread on this forum.

·
Registered
138 Posts
@shorton335. By your post, you are obviously handy which is great. If you can do brakes and all the other things you say, and I have no reason to doubt you, just curious why you don’t/can’t do PDK fluid change.

I’m not very handy but getting better and trying more things. So I don’t know how it’s done or what is involved, but would think it’s a matter of draining it and refilling it, no?
Hey there, most gear oils are as you say - drain plug, drain, fill plug, fill and go. Unfortunately the PDK change requires PIWIS or a capable tool to monitor the transmission temp, I think 30-40°C (dont quote me on that) when you open the fluid check valve and fill. It also requires the car to be lifted LEVEL.
I dont have the equipment and I use mostly ramps for servicing in my garage, putting the Macan up on 4 jack stands is a PITA and my garage floor slops for drainage.
I go to the shop purely out of convenience for this one!
Calling around for this service will pay off if you have the options - northern co dealers quoted ~1800, the Denver dealers were anywhere from 650-1000 - it's astounding the difference. I went with the cheapest one (which was a dealer) and then got another 10 or 15% off with PCA membership and a loner for the day - worth it.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Staggering charges. :eek:
Actually, for an authorized dealer we have seen much worse here on the forum considering that the total included a new battery and new rear brakes. But I just can't see paying dealer prices but to each their own.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Actually, for an authorized dealer we have seen much worse here on the forum considering that the total included a new battery and new rear brakes. But I just can't see paying dealer prices but to each their own.
For example: 1 liter of brake fluid @ $44. Outrageous in my opinion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For example: 1 liter of brake fluid @ $44. Outrageous in my opinion.
Sorry, that invoice does not seem out of line considering it is the dealer. Do you expect the Porsche dealer (or any brand dealer) to charge the same price for parts as an Autozone, or Rock Auto? Keep in mind they have overhead, factory equipment (computers, scanners, tools), employee training expense, loaners (when available), free software updates to your car as needed. The Porsche dealership is not a "high volume" store such as an Audi or Acura store. Expenses have to be spread out over a smaller number of units serviced. It is a two-way street.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry, that invoice does not seem out of line considering it is the dealer. Do you expect the Porsche dealer (or any brand dealer) to charge the same price for parts as an Autozone, or Rock Auto?
Of Course a dealer has higher overhead, and no one expects a car dealer to be a cheap alternative for service. I really doubt anyone here expects them to sell parts for the same price as Rock Auto ( and AutoZone is no bargain ). But sorry, there's no way to justify $400 or $500 for an oil change. The average car dealer knows that they are going to get reimbursed for their investment in overhead many times over, otherwise they would never be willing to make the investment to begin with.

It's been demonstrated on this forum over and over again how much money you can save by of avoiding the dealer when you have that alternative. But many Porsche owners are wealthy and just don't care, and will pay whatever bill the service department presents them with. And the dealer is counting on this.

·
Super Moderator
8,094 Posts
It's been demonstrated on this forum over and over again how much money you can save by of avoiding the dealer when you have that alternative. But many Porsche owners are wealthy and just don't care, and will pay whatever bill the service department presents them with. And the dealer is counting on this.
Then there should be no complaints. Anyone who did their homework should know the high cost of maintenance. They were warned in 2014 and repeatedly warned since then.

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/macan-general-discussion-forum/169909-but-maintenance-costs-too-high.html

and from April 2014 https://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/9386-typical-dealer-maintenance-cost-us.html

Everyone was warned over and over again. There should be no complaints. And yet they all still bought these cars. Why? Quote:

"Here's the scary part. Everything you mention is going to get worse over time. Those $2,000 services, new tires, new rotors, new wiper blades, and etc., are all part of Total Cost of Ownership. And a few years from now when that new $70,000 car is worth $10,000, those costs not only never go away, but will be higher because more parts will break and because of inflation."

The base car arrived late to the US. Wait until those people who "barely" could afford the loan to get into a stripped base car have a 5 year old car now worth maybe $20K, and they have those $3K services. Watch for the crying then. And it will only get worse from there because those costs will never end, yet the value of the car continue to drop. Imagine people at year 8 going for their second major service, its cost $4,000 by then, and the car worth $10K. Expect some crying then.

That's the problem with selling to the public cars which are very high maintenance cost and the buyers coming from Nissans, Toyotas, Hondas. Its going to hurt the wallet. Will we see a lot of these cars dumped then?

·
Registered
32 Posts

The good thing is I didn't pay anything. The $3600 service was completed as part of the CPO process. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Says @rosen39 whose dad either owns a stealership or has money to burn ?
Ha, ha.....I wish. Actually I worked part time in an Audi dealership, and next month will be at a Mercedes dealership. If you spent a little time "behind the scenes" and not just in a showroom, you would see there is a tremendous amount of staff and support that goes into running a dealership. Lot people, valets, shuttle drivers, service advisors, service managers, technicians, warranty administrators, wash & detail crew, cashiers, parts counter staff. And this does not get into the sales staff, sales managers, finance & insurance, and people that handle registering your car when purchased. When you think you can run a business more efficiently, please let me know............I'd love to work for you. I love it when people would bring their car in to the dealership and say their drain plug is dripping (maybe stripped). Then to find out, they had their oil change done at Jiffy Lube. Good luck trying to get that covered under warranty.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Forget cost of service alone.

STraightpipes, a successful youtube channel, did a review of one of the gentleman's new to him Raptor. He bought used a 2010 Raptor with over 230,000 kilometers. He found the original Monroney in the glovebox.

He did the math. Said in 9 years the original owner spent close to $85,000 (canadian) on gas alone, on a truck with a then MSRP of $56,000 (canadian).

I personally would never trust Jiffy Lube. I take my wife's Lexus to the dealer as it's actually than an indy shop near me. Same with my Raptor and my daughter's Honda.

As for my 911, found a super reliable indy shop that is almost half the price of the Porsche dealer thanks to @sonorous Other than warranty issues, my 911 will never see the inside of the dealer again, except when it's traded in. Hmm, when are the 2020 models available? :laugh:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ha, ha.....I wish. Actually I worked part time in an Audi dealership, and next month will be at a Mercedes dealership. If you spent a little time "behind the scenes" and not just in a showroom, you would see there is a tremendous amount of staff and support that goes into running a dealership. Lot people, valets, shuttle drivers, service advisors, service managers, technicians, warranty administrators, wash & detail crew, cashiers, parts counter staff. And this does not get into the sales staff, sales managers, finance & insurance, and people that handle registering your car when purchased. When you think you can run a business more efficiently, please let me know............I'd love to work for you. I love it when people would bring their car in to the dealership and say their drain plug is dripping (maybe stripped). Then to find out, they had their oil change done at Jiffy Lube. Good luck trying to get that covered under warranty.
Fortunately there are a lot of other service alternatives versus going to the dealer and Jiffy Lube. And if an average car dealer is run so efficiently, how is it that they need $400 or $500 for an oil change, when you can have the same work done at an independent it for a fraction of the price?

The answer of course is that you were not paying for needless layers of overhead like you are at so many dealers that are owned by large corporations like Penske.

And you yourself are a perfect example of why I avoid dealerships for service as much is possible. Does someone who is working at an Audi dealership this week and a Mercedes dealership next week really give a crap about the quality of their work? Why would they? They are so far removed from ownership that all they care about is their paycheck. The technician at an independent garage is much more likely to be part of the ownership if not have a personal relationship with ownership.

As has been shown on this forum so many times, bringing your car to a dealer for service is no guarantee that the service is going to be performed correctly or comprehensively.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Fortunately there are a lot of other service alternatives versus going to the dealer and Jiffy Lube. And if an average car dealer is run so efficiently, how is it that they need $400 or $500 for an oil change, when you can have the same work done at an independent it for a fraction of the price?

The answer of course is that you were not paying for needless layers of overhead like you are at so many dealers that are owned by large corporations like Penske.

And you yourself are a perfect example of why I avoid dealerships for service as much is possible. Does someone who is working at an Audi dealership this week and a Mercedes dealership next week really give a crap about the quality of their work? Why would they? They are so far removed from ownership that all they care about is their paycheck. The technician at an independent garage is much more likely to be part of the ownership if not have a personal relationship with ownership.

As has been shown on this forum so many times, bringing your car to a dealer for service is no guarantee that the service is going to be performed correctly or comprehensively.
Very well said. Just ask Nick Murray of YouTube fame how well a Porsche Premier dealer in Fairfield Ct. fixed both his 911s that had to be bought back by Porsche.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Back before recorded time - I did a market survey for Ford (Canada) when I was summer interning w/ them.

Then, the big customer advantages (obviously overhead) were the cost of the location (dealers have more costly, higher profile ones) and the fact the Speedy Mufflers et al took credit crds.

Believe it or not- in the early 70's - ALL dealerships only took cash or check....
They changed almost immediately after my submission.... I doubt it played a part.

·
Registered
80 Posts
And you yourself are a perfect example of why I avoid dealerships for service as much is possible. Does someone who is working at an Audi dealership this week and a Mercedes dealership next week really give a crap about the quality of their work? Why would they? They are so far removed from ownership that all they care about is their paycheck.
For your information, I am retired from accounting, and work at the dealerships part time as a valet/shuttle driver. I don't care about "my paycheck", as the main reason I work is to get out of the house. Do I give a "crap about my work"?? You bet I do. I was brought up in an environment that taught people no matter what job you do, you do the very best you can.

101 - 120 of 158 Posts