Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an Engine Control Fault error a few months ago. Took it in for service and they took a couple weeks and finally returned it to me saying it was repaired.

Little over a month later got the same fault. Brought it in again, and this time it was in the shop for a month. They could not get the system to perform its own self test, so it was returned to me “repaired”. Not even 5 days later it popped up again. This time the engine was very sluggish and there was no throttle response. I filled up and drove 20-30 miles, watching the distance to empty calculation ticking down as I was driving. After that distance it had gone down to 3/4 of / tank. It was really lagging and not accelerating so I had it towed in. It’s been 2 weeks again, and again they cannot get my car to perform it’s self test after doing the repair.

I’m very frustrated and it’s been over 2 months of shop time at this point. Does anyone have experience with Lemon Law? Would this apply? My factory warranty ends this month and I really don’t want to have this be an ongoing issue. I have an aftermarket warranty in place already but I really just want it to be working and not in and out of service indefinitely.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Lemon Laws vary significantly by state (I'm assuming you are in the U.S.) Don't know what state you are in, but here in New Jersey all the details are available on line.

If I recall correctly here the Lemon Law statute applies only to vehicles less than 2 years old. If your factory warranty is about to expire you may be beyond that, but again you need to familiarize yourself with the exact details in your particular state.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Florida. it's really frustrating, because this situation can't seem to get resolved. I just want my car back, but if it's got to go this way, then so be it.

My question was really more about process - my service advisor directed me to call Porsche, but all the research online showed me that there are specialized law firms that take these cases of high value cars, and do it on contingency where the manufacturer pays them (supposedly). I'm not a big lawyer fan, but at the same time the rules are very ambiguous and I don't want to get screwed out of the remaining value or have to pay a differential to get out of the car and into another.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
856 Posts
I am not saying this is the correct solution by any means... but if it were me, I’d get it back from the dealer running well... drive it straight to another dealership and trade it in for something else.

(This is under the assumption that Lemon Law will most likely not apply due to age/time).

Sorry you are dealing with this; I’m sure it’s very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I am not saying this is the correct solution by any means... but if it were me, I’d get it back from the dealer running well... drive it straight to another dealership and trade it in for something else.
This is why I never buy used...

·
Registered
856 Posts
This is why I never buy used...
... I don’t disagree with you. And 8 times out of 10, I do buy new. But in his case, he is going to be seriously limited with options... IMO, it’s not worth the frustration and hassle for something that seemingly may not get fixed. Again, the proper thing to do would be to take it up with PCNA, and maybe even get a buy-back out of it. But that’s definitely going to take time, not to mention, if it’s his daily driver, that may not even be possible.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
My question was really more about process - my service advisor directed me to call Porsche, but all the research online showed me that there are specialized law firms that take these cases of high value cars, and do it on contingency where the manufacturer pays them (supposedly). I'm not a big lawyer fan, but at the same time the rules are very ambiguous and I don't want to get screwed out of the remaining value or have to pay a differential to get out of the car and into another.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
What did PNA say when you called?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
sounds very similar to what I had experienced. Multiple times happened and lost throttle power suddenly on the 3rd time for about 5-10 seconds and luckily I was not rear ended by the car behind me. The dealer indicated the whole center console wiring fault was the main cause and had been known for some time. Once the dealer replaced it and updated the software as well, no more of this Engine control fault and all the other error messages reappeared.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would contact Porsche so that the fault is logged in the system whilst still under warranty as it should still be a warranty issue outside of the warranty timeframe if the issue has not been resolved and then look at trying another dealer if you have no confidence in the current one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree with Beardy. Your only shot is to notify Porsche while it is still under warranty. Document everything, dates times people.
They still may buy it back or compensate you if it can't be reliably fixed while under factory warranty. After warranty expires
you may spend years trying to get help.
Get a lawyer to write Porsche about your problem.
Remember in the world of Volkswagen you are a irritating fly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree with Beardy. Your only shot is to notify Porsche while it is still under warranty. Document everything, dates times people.
They still may buy it back or compensate you if it can't be reliably fixed while under factory warranty. After warranty expires
you may spend years trying to get help.
Get a lawyer to write Porsche about your problem.
Remember in the world of Volkswagen you are a irritating fly.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Surely the attempted repairs are logged w/ the VIN.

As long as they fell within the warranty period - you should be good.
But still, get proactive and contact the higher ups

Even another dealer may have ideas - or be better
All dealers are NOT created equal!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say don't waste your time with anything but the following:

1. Find a FL lemon law attorney whom you trust. Present the case to him/her.
2. The attorney will tell you whether he/she wants to take your case. If yes, you're done. Give him/her detailed info on all repairs (hopefully you have been keeping records).
3. Attorney will file a lawsuit against Porsche and eventually after many long months Porsche will buy back your vehicle rather than go to trial (if you meet lemon law requirements).

I say this because I'm currently doing Lemon Law in CA (4 repair attempts for same issue or 30 days in the shop total generally qualify) for a non-Porsche vehicle and I did the whole thing: contacted manufacturer again and again; went to non-binding arbitration. But the manufacturer did nothing. Manufacturers will not do anything until suit is filed. They do no want to buy back your vehicle. They will not do the 'right thing.'

At least this is my experience in CA.

(In CA the manufacturer pays the attorneys fees once the case is settled/decided...so attorneys here will get nothing unless they win...so they are only going to try to take on cases that match lemon law requirements)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would say don't waste your time with anything but the following:

1. Find a FL lemon law attorney whom you trust. Present the case to him/her.
2. The attorney will tell you whether he/she wants to take your case. If yes, you're done. Give him/her detailed info on all repairs (hopefully you have been keeping records).
3. Attorney will file a lawsuit against Porsche and eventually after many long months Porsche will buy back your vehicle rather than go to trial (if you meet lemon law requirements).

I say this because I'm currently doing Lemon Law in CA (4 repair attempts for same issue or 30 days in the shop total generally qualify) for a non-Porsche vehicle and I did the whole thing: contacted manufacturer again and again; went to non-binding arbitration. But the manufacturer did nothing. Manufacturers will not do anything until suit is filed. They do no want to buy back your vehicle. They will not do the 'right thing.'

At least this is my experience in CA.

(In CA the manufacturer pays the attorneys fees once the case is settled/decided...so attorneys here will get nothing unless they win...so they are only going to try to take on cases that match lemon law requirements)
Good luck to both you and the OP.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My understanding without knowing the year of your vehicle (you might have mentioned it), the Lemon Law only applies to new vehicles no more than 12 months old.

HOWEVER, after that, it turns into BREACH OF CONTRACT, IF the vehicle is STILL under the manufacturers 4/48.

Regarding records, tomorrow (Monday of closed tomorrow) go immediately to the service department and have them print out ALL maintenance records. ALL OF THEM. This is your evidence along with any receipts you have of your own.

Do not trust any dealership in having your best intersts at heart. Their only interest is the delaership and their bottom line; not yours.

There's a dealership south of Houston (Re: Emmons Autoplex). Look at a few of the Carfax and/or Autocheck records. You will find a bunch of Manufacturer buy-backs...

Hire an attorney! Protect YOUR money!!!!!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Reactions: Shark

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m a retired Volvo/ VW tech. Thirty three years on the line. Had been involved with more than a few cars with intermittent/ghost problems.
They drive all parties to the situation to distraction. More than once I logged in my record to take the car back and put out the fire. Most times the factory response was “We don’t buy cars, we sell them.” Just keep pushing back hard and document everything.

·
Banned
1 Posts
If you are from California then I know a experience California lemon law attorney, they have years of experience and you could apply for that. they would love to share their knowledge with you absolutely free.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts