Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just make sure the rotors you utilize are 356x22, not the 356x28 that the Macan Turbo units would call for. The C7 (S6/S7) calipers/brackets are also kind of difficult to source economically as well since all the Audi guys want them too. But they are available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, the 28mm rotor won't fit inside the bracket jaws of the S6/7 brackets. There's typically only a 2mm gap between the rotor face and bracket jaws/cutout for the rotor regardless of the car/mfr. So, 22+2+2=26 < 28.

Also, it is worth noting that the Macan Turbo rear caliper takes different pads than any of the others being discussed, and may have a different c-c span on the slider pins. So, if you happen to find Turbo brackets, don't assume the base model caliper itself will chuck up to it. I can verify this the next time I'm in the shop, though I doubt it will matter since those brackets are discontinued.

In my mind, there are two easy options to get the diameter of the rear to 356:

1) Complete Macan Turbo calipers and corresponding rotors (356x28mm)
2) Complete Audi calipers and corresponding rotors (356x22mm)
You can try to find an Audi S6/7 bracket, but a used set of complete rears is only ~$400 on eBay. Then swap out the S6/7 Audi caliper for the base Macan unit so that you keep the nice logo plate.​

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do you identify the differences other than physical.
Is it safe to say one is a 19Z and one is a 20Z?
Land vehicle Plant Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
12 Posts
Muckman, none of those are 19Z calipers. I think the newer gen Porsche 'half-moon' looking units don't even follow the 'Z' labeling anymore. The 19Z calipers are top-load Brembos that the R8 uses .. and were issued for a few years on the Cayenne Turbo S in the mid-late oughts.

These would work well if you are upgrading a base Macan that doesn't have the radial mounted spindles since the 19Z often come with the lug style bracket. They fit huge rotors, but you have to look out for the swept area on the pads. (The 80mm dimension in the top image). They need rotors with a large annulus, which are tough to find. As are the 19z units themselves. Peeps love 'em so they go quickly when they get listed. In fact, if you're taking a base Macan and going upward, you can use a ton of B8/B9/C7 Audi stuff for the front because those cars have the same 'lug style' front spindles with the same span. This would keep folks from having to source spindles and the associated work to get them on.

I wouldn't sweat the 'street' terminology of 'XX'z. Just use your eyeballs and ask the vendor for details. There's a ton of mislabled stuff out there from resellers, so whether or not you figure out the 'style' or label correctness yourself, you may fall victim to seller errors anyway. It may be possible to squeeze the base Cayenne fronts onto a 380. I doubt it. Chances are, the pads are falling off of that rotor, and the designer simply doesn't care. It's not really a hazard, but it's bush league when there are calipers out there that rectify this. In my mind, if you're trying to "armchair engineer" an upgrade without getting under the car, I would stay with factory issued items like Davin did.

Incidentally, this post reminded me to check up on the possible rear caliper discrepancy that I mentioned a few days ago. Turns out my suspicion was correct. The Macan Turbo rear calipers have a longer slider-pin span, so you can't swap the brackets out on the standard rear caliper and think you'll have a workable 356mm rear end. The Audi S6/S7 356mm brackets are what you'd need here. Again, limited to the 22mm rotor width. You can see both the pin span issue as well as the wider jaws in the attached image. The sandblased unit is the Macan Turbo bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
So whats a 20Z caliper then? And why is it when ever you google 19z and 20z, all you get is the Macan caliper type ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
20Z looks like the newer gen/Macan type, if we're using the Googler as our guide. I'm just not sure where that comes from anymore. Starting with the 17/18Z it used to be cast into the caliper so there was little debate. Since then, it may just be street talk that gave subsequent generations a sequentially higher number. In fact, the 19Z units don't have the stamping either, so that mighta been when the possibly fictitious labeling started. My point being that the "Z" designation is not useful on the Macan/PP front units.

In the vein of the original topic, what are you trying to do? I have a fair share of Audi/Porsche brake/suspension parts nearby. We can likely cut to the chase if you lay out your goal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m trying to determine if ya can go from a 360mm rotor to a SQ5 380mm rotor by using some spacers on the caliper. Iv been told the 390mm rotor will not fit without having to grind out the caliper, but that saying, I have seen 375mm rotors on the Macan S caliper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got yah. I'll mock it up tomorrow if I don't forget.

12/20 Edit:

The 380 is a bit of a squeeze. It's not as egregious a misfit as I'd originally led on, but the pads will fall off. See the attached images. These were taken with the casting resting on the rotor OD. The friction material is maybe 1-2mm off the OD of the rotor. So add another 1-2mm lift for clearance. Installed, the pads will probably hang off 2-3mm. Not a big deal. You can shave the friction material down that tiny bit, so the small issue essentially becomes a non-issue with a 380mm rotor. Obviously, the more permanent solution would be to open the caliper up just a tic, but then you're talking new paint, etc.

Good luck. I hope his exercise was helpful in your decision making.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m getting mine painted so grinding down a bit is no issue.
Can you confirm it’s just the lip and edges that need to be grinder down not the inside ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep, maybe grind an inch or so in from the lip. The ID of the casting is curved for ~360, so it gaps at the center on a 380.

This will be sweet. Post up when you knock this out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If I was to fit the larger 390mm caliper? What part Number and vehicle models would it come from?
Is it only just the Macan Performance Pack or are there other models I can salvage it from?

·
Registered
2015 S, 1987 911
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Update:
The factory BBK reached 2,000 miles and it’s so much better than before.
  • Performance is just impressive and I’m able to modulate it. IMO, stock Macan S brakes were hard to modulate.

• Brake pedal dead space is no longer there.

• Dust is acceptable, these aftermarket pads are great and create less dust than OEM Macan S pads.

• Front-end dive is noticeable, but not horrible.
    Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another question, would the 390mm caliper be too big for the 380mm rotor?
As in will I have to grind down the mounting points on the caliper to eliminate the pad over hang?
In that case, if I’m going to be grinding down anything, I may as well just open up the 360mm caliper to fit the 380mm rotor

·
Registered
2015 S, 1987 911
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
@Muckman Here is another post about fitting rotors and calipers:

I did a quick search and it doesn't look like anyone have mix 390 calipers to 380 rotors. Furthermore, 360 calipers to fit 380 rotors seems plausible but quite risky.

Best of luck and keeps us posted.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts